14 April 2024

Musou Slime 72

Test

72. The Way Of Calculation [SIDE - ???]


Numbers are truly wonderful. With just a glance, anyone can discern superiority or inferiority. In other words, it's simple.

If one can perform simple calculations, the results will be the same for anyone. Unless they are exceptionally foolish, the answer is clearly understood.

I, Barry Secretan, never make mistakes in calculations. I flawlessly manipulate the abacus and reliably produce results.

I stepped into the arena of the night.

Within the vast facility with a radius of 100 meters, lies the room of the Heroic Combat Committee.

It seems that participants in the tournament must visit that room and submit their swords.

But that's not my objective.

As I walked down the long corridor, I spotted only one room with a single light on. I stood in front of the door to that room and slowly entered.

"Who's there!? Knock before entering!"

Sitting in a chair in the room was a sturdy middle-aged man.

As expected, according to my calculations, there is only one man here at this time.

"A participant...? The time for sword submissions has long passed... well, never mind. Show me quickly--"

Before the man finished speaking, I grabbed him by the chin as if to raise a cup, and silenced him.

"W-What are you--"

"Think carefully. Use your head. What will making noise in this situation achieve? You should understand the difference in our abilities."

If this middle-aged man and I were to clash, my probability of losing is 0. Even if the man makes more noise, it would only waste lives.

The man understood that and fell silent, panting heavily with tears welling up.

"Well, I suppose you understand at least the basics. Let's make this quick. Just say 'yes' to what I say from now on."

"Y-Yes."

"For the duration of this tournament, obey everything I say. Understand?"

"T-That's... Ugh!!"

I kicked the man's face upwards. The sound of his neck bones echoed in the room.

"Did you hear me? I said just say 'yes.'"

"W-What do you intend to make me do!?"

"I'll be blunt. Make sure I and Elgen win this tournament. Then I'll spare your life."

"Y-You can't possibly... Ugh!!"

Another kick landed on the man's face. I sighed involuntarily.

"You... can't even do calculations? Which one of us, you or me, is stronger?"

"Y-You..."

"That's right. What happens if you refuse my request?"

"I get beaten...?"

"No. You get killed. You'll suffer many times more than that kick just now and die miserably."

"I-I don't want to! Why do I have to go through this..."

The man sobbed, crawling miserably on the ground.

"...There's only one way to survive. That's to obey what I say."

"But, that's..."

"Weigh it. Between the path of survival and sacrificing your pride for a moment. Which number is bigger?"

The man raked his greasy hair, desperately thinking. After a few seconds, he looked up at my face.

"Are you... really going to help me!?"

"Yeah. I promise. Just by doing a simple task, you'll be freed from fear."

Upon hearing my words, the man nodded repeatedly, convincing himself.

"...Alright! I'll do what you say. What should I do!?"

"Yeah, first..."

Numbers are truly wonderful. If you manipulate the abacus in your mind, the answer will always match.

I never make mistakes in calculations. In a game I can win, I'll always win.

"Destroy Irena McQueen's sword. Split it evenly into two."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test