14 March 2024

Introverted Archer 59

 Test

59. Rational Conditions!


"Hey there! Fuyuka-chan, you're in the Blue team too!?"

"H-Hoshikake-san!?"

Hina jumped at Shinoura-san, embracing her petite frame. One couldn't help but admire Hina's communication skills at times like these.

"And, Kageyama-kun too... Both of you are in the Blue team?"

"Yeah! Since Fuyuka-chan is here, we're all comrades!"

Shinoura-san seemed momentarily delighted, then looked dejected as she averted her gaze.

"Um... I know this might be rude. But wouldn't it be better if you two joined the Red or White teams? I don't have a choice, so I came here just because..."

"It's fine! I love the Blue team! Come on, Fuyuka-chan, let's go in!"

"W-Wait a second!"

Hina pulled Shironoura-san's hand as they entered the Blue team's headquarters room.

Shinoura-san seemed like she wanted to say something, oh well. I'll go in too.

"Helloooo!"

The headquarters room was usually an unused space, with a desk-made counter for the Blue team. Only one male student was seated behind it.

"Applying to join the team? Thanks for coming all this way! Just write your name here in the binder!"

The one who called out was a black-haired, enthusiastic male student. Judging from his grade emblem, he was a third-year.

The Blue team's application was very simple. Just write your class and name on a paper sandwiched in a binder. 

It was as surprising as signing your name on a reservation board at a family restaurant.

We wrote our names and handed the binder back to the male student.

"Got it! So, let me introduce myself again. I'm Rikimaru Ken, the leader of the Blue team!"

Wait, this guy is the leader? Red and White teams didn't have their leaders at the counter.

"Nice to meet you, Leader! We're serious about aiming for victory! Let's do our best together!"

"Haha, you say nice things, 1st-year Hoshikake! But that'll be tough!"

Powerful words from Senpai froze the room's atmosphere.

"Huh... why do you say that?"

"It's realistic. About 60 students have applied to join the Blue team at this point. The Red and White teams have already filled their quota with about 120 students each."

"...But, isn't the sports festival mandatory for all students? What happens to those who didn't submit their application even after the deadline?"

"In that case, they will be randomly assigned from the remaining slots in each team. Since the Red and White teams are full, half of the Blue team members will be students who didn't want to participate."

I see. There is a rule that all students must join one of the teams.

However, whether those students will show up on the day is a different matter.

"So, does that mean the Blue team has to compete with half the number of other teams' members!?"

Moreover, the students joining the Blue team are people who couldn't get into the Red or White teams. It's like a team made up of the bottom 30% of the academy.

"That's right, 1st-year Hoshikaze! In other words, the chances of our Blue team winning are close to zero! Unless the strongest students in the academy join us, we won't stand a chance!"

"Wait, wouldn't it be fine if Kageyama-san joined us?"

At that moment, Shinoura-san muttered something astonishing.

"...What did you say just now?"

"Ah, I'm sorry for suddenly saying that. You probably don't understand... I can see people's abilities and emotions through a protective aura. So, I'm doing White Mage buffs.."

Could it be? No way!?

"While other students have a faint glow around their bodies about 1 cm, Kageyama-kun... has an incredibly large aura that extends to the adjacent seats. It's been growing rapidly for the past month, and it's probably the biggest in the academy. Oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that...?"

All eyes turned towards me.

It's probably not a lie. I've never shown her my abilities, and we've hardly talked. Yet she's hitting the mark quite accurately.

"1st-year Kageyama. Is that true?"

Hiding it seems futile.

"Yes. I don't know if I'm the strongest in the academy, but I have some skills—"

At that moment, Senpai grabbed my shoulder tightly.

"Please!! Won't you lend your strength to the Blue team!? For the sake of the Blue team's victory!!"

Wow, he's intense!

"W-Wait a minute... Weren't you just saying we can't win earlier...?"

"Of course, I want to win too!! I'm working hard as the leader, you know!? Besides—being the leader is also about showing your best at the right moment!!"

"The right moment?"

"Yuuki Setsuna. She's my childhood friend from Class 3-A!!"

Could it be? Does he want to win for the sake of a girl he likes?

"Yes, Leader! Can I ask a question?"

"Go ahead, Hoshikake first-year!"

"Are you and Setsuna-san dating?"

"The answer is no! But, I plan to show my best at the sports festival and confess before graduation!!"

Ridiculous. I can't sympathize with such irrational thoughts driven by emotions like romance.

However, since this topic has been brought up, my rational brain has accurately predicted the subsequent developments.

"What!? That's so emotional! It's like a youth story! Einu-kun, let help him!"

As expected, Hina is the type to jump into such topics eagerly. Her eyes sparkled with excitement, and she was already holding my hand.

This is troublesome. After all, Hina only joined the Blue team because I got rejected by every other team.

It's not like she thinks that, but one could argue that I've deprived her of a fun sports festival.

No, I can't refuse now.

"...I have three conditions."

I sighed and raised three fingers, stating my terms.

"First, if we're doing this, we aim to win. I don't care much about the sports festival. So, I planned to half-heartedly participate, and finish it. What I want to avoid the most is putting in effort but still not winning. That's why... If we're doing this, we aim for victory rationally, and I expect you to follow my strategy."

"That's not a problem. I know the rules of the sports festival well. So I can offer advice on that."

"Second, our cooperation is only for winning the sports festival. I don't care about romance as much as I don't care about the sports festival. Matters of confession and mutual affection are not my concern, so you're free to handle them with mutual consent and within legal and school regulations."

Finally, I presented the third condition.

"...That's it. These conditions concern not only Senpai but also Shironoura-san. Is that acceptable?"

When I finished speaking, Hina, Shironoura-san, and Senpai all nodded in agreement.

"It's a deal."

From there, we learned about the rules of the sports festival from Senpai and solidified our strategy.

And then, on the day of the sports festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test