14 March 2024

Introverted Archer 58

 Test

58. Rational Enrollment!


After school. As soon as homeroom ends, I grab my bag and start running.

"Hey, Eimu-kun, stop!"

It was Hina who grabbed my arm like that.

"Hina? What's going on..."

"Eimu-kun, did you submit the 'enrollment form' for the sports festival?"

"What's that? I don't know..."

Words I've never heard from Hina's mouth. She sighed and placed her hand on her hip, saying, "As I thought.".

"Next week is the sports festival, right? We have to submit the enrollment form to decide which group to join. Today is the last day."

"...Is that a mandatory participation thing?"

"Yeah, it's a school event."

Ugh, what a hassle. Unlike tests, I lack motivation for events where participation isn't necessary. 

Especially the sports festival, it's just an event where noisy students make noise.

"Any group is fine, but... do I have to submit the enrollment form?"

"Yeah. Since there's a headquarters, you have to submit the form to the representative of each group there, and if it's accepted, you officially join."

"By the way, Hina, have you decided which group you're joining?"

"Nope. I figured you'd procrastinate, so I wanted us to decide together."

She really understands me well.

Since it's mandatory, I reluctantly walk with Hina to this so-called "headquarters".

"Hey, what groups are there?"

"As far as I've heard, it's a choice between red or white. Red is more popular because they usually win."

Hmm. Then I'll submit the form for the red group. It's just a procedure. Let's get it over with and go home.

"We can't accept this."

The red group's headquarters. The girl at the counter smiles as she returns my form.

"Wait, what? What do you mean you can't accept it?"

"That's right. You are not accepted into the red group."

The girl at the counter calmly states as she keeps smiling. I couldn't accept the reality.

"I mean, can you tell me why you can't accept it?"

At that moment, a sturdy boy from behind the counter interrupts.

"You're persistent. You're blocking the way, you know?"

From his grade badge, he's a 2nd-year. He grabs my shoulder with his big palm like a sumo wrestler while glaring at me.

"...You're a first-year. I'll tell you then. You're not needed in the red group. Especially useless jobs like an Archer."

"I don't understand. In a sports festival, having more members should be an advantage. Why refuse my enrollment?"

"It's true that having more members is advantageous in battle. But what if each group has a 'maximum number'?"

Ah, I see. I get it now.

In the sports festival, all students must participate, and if the power balance in each group is not equal, fairness is compromised.

In other words, the maximum number of students each group can have is half of the total school population.

For both groups, it's better to have a higher ratio of excellent students within that capacity. ...In other words, theoretically selecting the top 50% of the entire student body is the best option.

They don't want to waste that space on a first-year archer like me.

"And... having gloomy jobs like an archer affects the morale of the group. We recruit lively folks. It's not the place for someone like you!"

Was it necessary to say it like that!?

But it seems there's no room for negotiation.

"Eimu-kun... Let's go to the white group together!"

Hina pats my shoulder and gives me a thumbs up.

Hina is the only one who truly understands me.

Well, even if I can't join the red group, I should be able to join the white group by the process of elimination!

"We can't accept this."

"Why the hell not!?"

The white group's headquarters. I yell in front of the reception desk.

This is strange. Wasn't I supposed to be able to join either the red or white group!? Isn't this a different story!?

"Um, Eimu-kun..."

Even Hina seems at a loss for words as she watches me with a troubled expression.

This is absolutely absurd. The sports festival groups are supposed to be either red or white, and every student is obligated to join one of them. I admit I started submitting the enrollment form late, but it's still ridiculous.

"Eimu-kun, I didn't mention this earlier, but..."

Just as I was struggling with my thoughts, Hina started speaking apologetically.

"In fact, the sports festival groups aren't just red and white. There's also a 'blue group'."

I see!

No wonder I got rejected. There had to be a third group! That means the maximum number of students per group was one-third of the total students. That's why I couldn't join either the red or white group.

"Why didn't you tell me that earlier!"

"But you see, the blue group has only won the sports festival once in its long history. Because..."

"Because it only gathers students rejected from the red and white groups, like me."

Hina is popular in our class. Job-wise and in terms of skills, she could join either red or white. She probably expected me to choose one of those two options.

But I couldn't join either of them. I have no choice now.

"...I'll join the blue group. Hina, you can choose either red or white—"

"Then I'll also join the blue group!"

Seriously?

"No, Hina, you can join either red or white, right? I'll be fine in the blue group alone."

"Nah, I wanted to be in the same group as you, Eimu-kun! Let's aim to win together in the blue group!"

Hina winks and gives a thumbs up. Seeing that, students from the white group around us mock us.

"Hahaha! Win in the blue group? What a joke."

"Hey, Hoshikake-san, do you like that skinny guy? If so, your taste in men is terrible!"

Hina is being ridiculed because of me. It's one thing for them to mock me, but Hina shouldn't be involved. But arguing back isn't rational either.

We quickly leave the white group's headquarters.

"Man, how many times did I get called gloomy just today..."

"Eimu-kun, you should change your image! How about wrapping your arms in silver?"

"Silver, huh..."

We walk down the hallway together. Even after being laughed at, Hina seems as cheerful as ever.

"Hey, Hina. Are you sure about this? Being in the blue group with me. You don't have friends in the blue group, right?"

"Yeah! I'm fine with any group! Besides, not having friends means there's room for growth!"

She's not saying it to encourage me...

I'm really saved by Hina's understanding in times like these.

"Plus, when I said we'd win earlier, I meant it! You and I can take down about a hundred each!"

"Where does that confidence come from..."

As we approach the blue group's headquarters, Hina stops.

"Hey, isn't that..."

The girl I met in the library is standing in front of the headquarters's door. Her name was Shinoura-san, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test