16 January 2024

Twilight Alchemist 12.2

Test

12.2. To Eradicate Illness, You Need A Sword, Isn't It?


"I knew it..."

A giant serpent with multiple heads roamed the marshland. It was a Hydra.

"Three heads, four heads... and even seven heads?"

The Hydra is born with two heads and adds more with each molt, making it the ruler of the swamp.

In the marshy areas where rice cultivation is possible with a little soil improvement, one of the reasons humans rarely tread there is the presence of the Hydra.

Using the [Farsight] magic, I surveyed the marsh from a safe zone.

In the depths of the vast marshland, I spotted the budding herbs I was looking for.

"Sneaking in to pick them... that's impossible."

If the Hydra had stayed put, I might have managed with magic, but with them scattered over such a large area, progressing with attack magic would be difficult.

A vanguard was necessary.

I decided to return to the village without pushing myself.

"Oh, Craft-kun. Where were you?"

Since it was lunchtime, I decided to explain the situation while having a meal.

"I wanted to make a new potion. I went to search for herbs."

"Oh, I see. Did you find them?"

"I found the location. But couldn't collect them."

"What happened?"

"The natural habitat of the herbs is a marshland. And, as expected, the Hydra that usually resides in marshlands was there."

"Hydra!?"

Leafan stood up abruptly.

His expression was stern, clearly accompanied by anger.

"What's wrong? It's not unusual for a Hydra to inhabit a marshland, is it?"

"...Sorry."

Leafan took a deep breath before slowly returning to his seat.

"We talked about there being a Gnome settlement around here, right?"

"Yeah."

"There are various details, but the main reason the settlement got destroyed was the Hydra."

"What do you mean?"

Hydras are monsters that usually don't encroach on territory much. Since their main food source is fish, as long as you don't step into their territory, they shouldn't pose much threat.

"I don't know the reason. But one day, numerous Hydras suddenly attacked the settlement..."

Leafan clenched his fist tightly.

"You lived around here when you were a child, right?"

"Yeah... I still dream about it from time to time."

"I see..."

Probably, the situation in this area is partly responsible for the delayed development. 

Most of the time, adventurers are sent in without being informed about the dangers of the area they're going to.

This time, announcing some level of danger was already an unusual situation for a settlement.

"So, what do you want to do, Craft-kun?"

"The goal is the herbs. We'll break through with a small group, collect the herbs, and then make a quick escape. If there's time, I'd like some magic stones too."

Hydra magic stones are of higher quality than those of Orcs, making things easier if they have some.

"I'm not aiming for total annihilation this time. I'm anticipating at least some combat."

Depending on the situation, I might have to give up on the magic stones and just bring back the herbs. Fortunately, with my alchemy, I don't need a large quantity.

"I'll go too!"

Understanding the situation immediately, Persia volunteered.

"Hey, Persia. Our job is..."

"Please, Al. Let me go."

Persia looked straight into Alphard's eyes. Alphard furrowed his brow and scratched his head.

"...I get it. There seem to be some circumstances. Leave it to me regarding Kyle-sama and Myrna-sama."

"Yeah. Thank you."

Kyle, who had been observing their exchange with a puzzled expression, didn't say anything.

"Now, I'll go too!"

With a grin, Hunter Jitaro appeared.

I hesitated a bit.

"What? I'll mainly use a bow and avoid close combat as much as possible. If Leafan-san and Persia-oneesan are on the front line, we need someone to protect Craft-san using magic, right?"

"That's true."

"Alright, then it's decided with these four. Counting on everyone!"

"Leave it to us!"

Leafan answered cheerfully. However, I didn't miss his muttered words afterward.

"...I've gained practical experience to defeat the Hydra." His strength seemed to be no issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test