12 January 2024

Shop 28.2

Test

Chapter 28.2. Antenna Shop In The Wilderness


I moved to a conference-like spacious room. Cherina sat in the back, and I stood beside her.

"Akira-sama, please have a seat here."

Cherina shifted her chair, making space next to her.

Wait, sitting in a position that clearly screams authority is nothing short of torture.

"Give me a break. I'm just a consultant. Just standing here can earn me a lot of resentment..."

"Oh, well, if standing next to you can cause resentment, sitting next to you would be the same."

Not the same at all. What is this young lady saying?

"Enough of your nonsense. Look, someone is coming."

I returned the chair I had pulled back, adjusting the position of Cherina's chair, and stood diagonally behind her.

I wouldn't want to be in this room at all, but I wanted to keep an eye on the book, just in case. I could hand it over, but the latter part is likely too advanced.

The craftsmen who came running or jumping in were drenched in sweat, breathing heavily. Greetings and breaths were difficult amid the exhaustion. It took about 20 minutes for everyone to finally gather.

The last one to arrive was a slightly chubby old man. Cherina remained visibly displeased throughout, and the craftsmen, all tense, maintained a freezing silence in the conference room.

After giving a glance to the chubby craftsman who came in last, Cherina spoke.

"What I'm about to show you is strictly confidential. If it leaks, be aware that it won't end with just losing your head."

Starting with this, everyone trembled, swallowing hard. This woman is scary.

"If you find any doubts, leave this room immediately. Never appear before me again, let alone in this country."

Is this coercion? There was a moment of silence.

"...Now, I'll show you something. Be prepared."

I took out the "Complete Guide to Japanese Papermaking" hidden behind me.

Though it says Japanese paper, the latter half was essentially the making of ordinary pulp paper. Can this really be made with the technology in this world?

Placing it on the table and opening the first chapter, the craftsmen gathered in a circle, flipping through a few pages, showing expressions of astonishment.

Some turned pale, some were terrified, and some were excited.

"Lady... what kind of joke is this?"

The chubby man, who arrived late, directed a sharp gaze at Cherina.

"I can't go into details, but it's a technical book describing how to make paper from wood. Paper is like this... it seems to be like this one sheet."

The man repeatedly read the first chapter multiple times, taking about an hour.

By the way, up to the second chapter, Cherina and I, strictly watched to ensure they didn't flip beyond chapter three.

Other craftsmen were intensely peering, pushing others aside. The power dynamics seemed to revolve around this man, who appeared to be the strongest.

Finally, the man closed the book, took a deep breath, and exhaled deeply.

"Lady... this isn't at the level of a technical book. It's more like a scholarly book... no, it wouldn't be surprising if it was called a magical book. It's so meticulously and kindly written that even someone like me, barely able to read, can understand. It's as if it's written to convey this technology to others."

Well, of course. A technical book that can't be understood by others is the worst.

"Don't inquire further. Ask Dauro. We don't care about the budget. How many days until a prototype of Japanese paper can be made in secret?"

"If I can just copy the diagrams onto parchment, I can do it in three days. Of course, we can use all these guys, right?"

Seriously! These craftsmen are amazing.

"Of course. In fact, you must not let anyone other than executives know what you are creating. All executives are present here, so you can create it yourselves."

"Understood. We'll copy it right away."

Dauro took out parchment, ink, and a quill from his bag and quickly transcribed the diagrams. Looking closely, everyone came without bringing anything.

I see, there was a valid reason for the delay.

In my company, I'd get a pay cut for being late, and on top of that, I'd be scolded for not bringing materials that hadn't been communicated. It was really a lousy company.

"Well then, lady. Please look forward to it. It's been a while since my skills have been tested."

"Yes. I'm looking forward to it."

Dauro and the other craftsmen bowed their heads. They seemed to have an intense meeting in this conference room.

Cherina, Melvin, and I were the only ones who left the corridor.

"Was there a point in me being here?"

"Of course."

Cherina asserted, but Melvin's eyes were very stern. He wants to go home.

"Lady, Baron Letterl's carriage has arrived."

The lady frowned, but I was secretly pleased that I could go home early.

"Already? It's still quite early for the sun to set, isn't it?"

"But it's not too early to leave, and the meeting has just ended. Wouldn't it be appropriate to go now?"

Big sigh.

"Understood. Please prepare my clothes."

"Right this way."

As Cherina followed Melvin, I raised one hand.

"Well then, see you tomorrow."

"What are you talking about? Please wait in the lobby."

Huh? Why?

"I'm going to dinner with you. That's settled."

What is she talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test