25 January 2024

Musou Slime 35

Test

35. Reasons For Being An Adventurer


"Why in the world are you like this, even though I said today was my day off?"

"My bad. But I got a request addressed to me."

"Well, if that's the case, it's fine. But in return, you're keeping me company on the next day off. I'll even let you carry my baggage!"

I'm currently exploring the Ash Dungeon with Raize.

The ore Dantzel requested can be found on floors 5 to 8. With my current level, going down to around the 10th floor should be a breeze.

But why did Dantzel specifically choose me for this request?

When requesting the guild, the client can request a specific adventurer. 

In such cases, extra money must be paid as a nomination fee.

Dantzel went out of her way to pay a high sum for this request. Was it just because we're acquaintances and she found it easy to ask me?

"Arx! Monsters ahead!"

"Got it!"

Gripping my sword, I dispatch the approaching monsters. At this point, the monsters on the 3rd floor are no match for me.

Suddenly, I recall the first time I battled a golem.

I've truly become stronger since then.

"Piggy!"

The slime found the stairs. To find the ore, we proceed to the lower floor.

Before I know it, we've reached the 7th floor.

No wonder, with 24 slimes, finding the stairs quickly is extraordinary.

And the emerging enemies are no longer much of a challenge. The difficulty I faced on the 5th floor was due to the outbreak.

It's getting boring, so I decided to talk to Raize.

"Hey, Raize, why are you an adventurer?"

"Why are you asking all of a sudden?"

"Because Raize is a noble's daughter, and if you inherit the family, you don't need to earn money, right?"

Raize replied, "Well, that's true.", and then looked up.

"I used to be an adventurer to rebel against my parents. My family is what you'd call trash, and I didn't want to become like them."

"Used to? So, it's different now?"

"Yeah. Um..."

For some reason, Raize starts to fidget.

"A friend's story! That friend, always trying to protect others, ended up keeping a distance from everyone. But one day, she met an adventurer. He was a weird guy who intruded into others' territory, but he cared so much about her — and I thought, maybe it's not bad to strive together with such companions."

'You know, this is a friend's story!' Raize repeats. I got it.

Is Raize's reason for being an adventurer different now than it was before? If that's the case, maybe I can find a new reason too.

"Pigii!"

At that moment, a loud slime cry echoed. It signifies the appearance of a monster, but there's an unusual atmosphere about it.

"Arx, enough chit-chat! Let's go!"

"Got it!"

Heading to the relevant slime, we find a monster: a golden chicken monster, about 2 meters long!

"Golden Cockatrice... the boss monster of this floor!"

I activate "Appraisal." As Raize explained, this monster seems to be the floor boss.

"The eggs of this monster are called 'golden eggs' and are traded at a high price! I'll turn it into yakitori!"

"Hey, wait!"

Before I could stop her, Raize unleashed a fire spell at the boss. A massive flame erupts, consuming the giant creature.

"What a piece of cake! I took it down in an instant!"

"I told you to wait! When the Golden Cockatrice is defeated, it splits into a large number of chickens..."

Boom!!

Right as I say that, the boss's body explodes on a smaller scale. From the smoke, chickens scatter like spiderlings!

"Gyaaah! What's this!?"

"I told you! What are we going to do with this many?"

"There's no helping it! Come on, stop complaining and fight!"

I deploy all the slimes and call Cheer as well.

"Cheer, power up the slimes!"

"Roger that! Everyone, do your best! Defeat the chickens!!"

Slimes, humans, and chickens in the narrow dungeon, we engage in a chaotic battle.

With every mini-boss defeated, golden feathers dance in the air. The slimes desperately ram into the chickens, and Raize uses her fire magic.

It's fun.

While defeating monsters, I realize I've been feeling this way. It's enjoyable to adventure with friends and exciting to fight strong monsters.

This feeling is something I haven't experienced in a long time. Strictly speaking, it might be the first time.

"Alright, I'll try using magic too!"

"Wait a minute!? You haven't practiced yet, so you can't do it!"

I concentrate power throughout my body, recalling the sensation of using magic for the first time. Gathering electricity in my arm, amplifying it—then releasing it all at once!

"Take thiiis!"

The moment I activate the magic, the chickens are all electrocuted. Blue-white lightning strikes the golden bodies, racing around.

Ah, so this is what adventuring feels like.

I feel a sense of accomplishment spreading in my chest, something I can't quite put into words.

The Golden Cockatrice gets wiped out. Afterward, my level went up by 2, but Raize scolded me harshly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test