22 December 2023

Musou Slime 2

Test

2. It Suddenly Leveled Up


A night passed since I got expelled from the party, and a morning slightly different from usual arrived. 

Yesterday, the pain inflicted by Dan's violence left me unable to do anything. 

Instead, I pondered various things.

Conclusion: I must become stronger.

Reason one: If I give up on becoming stronger and continue my usual job, it will definitely not last. 

Working as an adventurer without combat abilities is equal to having the power of life and death controlled by others. 

Since rewards depend on the number of monsters defeated, income becomes dependent on others. 

Weak individuals are subject to layoffs, and one never knows when they might get cut off, leading to zero income.

In the eastern country, there is a story about a seasoned swordsman preaching to a boy, "Hold the power of life and death in your own hands.". Perhaps that swordsman also makes a living by exterminating monsters.

Reason two: To take revenge on Dan.

I'm grateful for his having made me a companion as a surveillance officer so far, but his actions are intolerable. 

Even during quests, it was the same. 

He always looked down on me, constantly assigning me dirty work. 

Insults were commonplace. I was made a spectacle in front of the public. 

I want to at least return the favor.

Anyway, I will become stronger. 

Today is the beginning of something new.

"Status Open."

First, let's assess the current situation. Here is my status column representing my strength.


――

Arx Seirant, 17 years old, male

Level 4

Skills:

<Slime>

[Mimicry]... Can change user's own body into a slime.

[Split]... Can split the mimicked body. Maximum is 8.

――


<Slime> has two abilities. It's like the drawers of a chest of drawers, the first and second stages.

[Mimicry] allows me to transform into a slime. 

During this time, I can think, but I can't speak. The most I can produce is something like 'Pikii' or 'Kyu', a voice similar to a hamster. 

This is not much different from a wild slime. And when using [Mimicry], my strength becomes equivalent to a slime. 

I can't fight in a slime form with human physical strength.

Each form, human and slime, has its advantages. 

In human form, I can speak and have increased strength. I can also wield weapons. 

On the other hand, in slime form, I have high agility, making it easy to evade attacks. The ability to split is also advantageous.

When I use [Split], the number of slimes increases, and it's close to manipulating dolls. 

By imagining the trajectory of the slimes in my head, they move accordingly. 

Depending on the situation, I can even share the field of vision of the split bodies.

Despite having this ability, I was assigned the role of a surveillance officer... to be honest, it's a bit of a disappointing skill.

"As I think about it again, my skill is really weak..."

Other adventurers, including Dan, mostly improve their physical abilities or possess skills useful in combat.

For example, Dan has the <Strong Arm> skill, which makes it easy for his physical strength to grow, and he was already strong.

In comparison, <Slime> doesn't have anything like that. 

It's not a combat-oriented skill, and it's not suitable for other professions.

"No, don't be discouraged. I just have to take action."

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. To become stronger, the best way is to fight monsters.

Even so, I can only handle weak monsters. Around here, that would be wild slimes in the grassland area.

"All right, I'll definitely become stronger and show Dan!"

I prepared myself and headed out from the inn towards the guild.

After a while, I reached the grassland, the area closest to the town where I live, Ortia. And where only weak monsters appear. 

The dazzling sunlight illuminated the green horizon.

The quest I accepted today is to defeat slimes, as the name suggests, just a quest to defeat 10 slimes. 

It could be considered the most beginner-friendly quest. 

Despite having been an adventurer for a year, doing such a rookie quest makes me feel a bit embarrassed.

"Kyuu!!"

At that moment, I heard a high-pitched squeak like a mouse. It was a slime.

"All right, let's go right away!"

I drew the short sword at my waist and leaped towards the slime. 

The slime, surprised, tried to flee, but it was too late.

"Ei!"

As I thrust the short sword, the green, dumpling-like body of the slime melted away, revealing a sphere about the size of a cherry.

Defeating a slime allows me to obtain its core in this way. 

Honestly, it's not worth much. With just this, I can't make a living.

I've defeated one slime, but can I  become stronger by doing something like this?

I know this quest is appropriate for my current strength. 

Don't I need to level up more efficiently to catch up with other adventurers?

"—That's right!"

I had a good idea. 

I've never tried it before, but it's worth a shot. 

First, use <Slime> for [Mimicry], then use [Split] to increase the number to 8.

Since it's a slime extermination quest, with my intelligence, there's no way I can lose. 

If I divide and conquer, I can finish the quest in 1/8th of the time!

All right, my clones! Defeat the slimes!

"Pikii!"

In response to my instructions, the clones made their squeaking sounds and each ran off to defeat slimes.

From the results, it was a great success. I managed to defeat 16 slimes in the time it would take to defeat 2. 

Having defeated 17 slimes in about 20 minutes, I was satisfied and returned to my human form.

"Amazing! If I keep this up, I could defeat 100, no, 200 slimes in a day, right!?"

As I excitedly celebrated, I heard a voice in my head.


――

You've reached level 5.

――


"Huh?"

I involuntarily let out a sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test