22 November 2023

Seeker 240

Test

Chapter 240. Reconciliation


Afterward, amidst various ups and downs, our monster subjugation mission continued. 

Although our relationships were challenging, the mission's main focus (at least nominally) was monster subjugation. 

In this mission, we were primarily scheduled to subjugate two types of monsters. 

One was the Ghouls, and we had already defeated around twenty of them. However, we haven't encountered the other type yet.

According to eyewitness accounts, there was a "creepy monster resembling a flying pumpkin." 

This monster was much more powerful than the Gghouls, and there would be not only 1. At most 2 or 3 of them. 

It was considered the boss enemy of this subjugation mission.

Finally, that monster appeared before us as we were exploring the forest. It was in a place that resembled a square within the forest, spacious enough to accommodate a tennis court and then some. 

Towards the back of the square was a strange-colored swamp, with monsters lurking around its perimeter.

There were two types of monsters in that location. 

One was the Ghoul, numbering 4, huddled on the left side of the swamp, emitting eerie sounds akin to the undead. 

The other was the "flying pumpkin-like monster" mentioned in eyewitness accounts. 

Simply put, it resembled what one might see at a Halloween, but larger. 

I saw a gigantic pumpkin, large enough to cradle with outstretched arms, floated at about eye level, hollowed out with flames blazing inside. 

One could peer through the carved sections shaped like eyes, nose, and mouth. 

The monster's name was, fittingly, Jack O'Lantern.

There were 3 of them. 

They were on the opposite side of the Ghouls, floating on the right side of the swamp as we observed. 

As we stepped into the square, the monsters noticed us, and they started to move. 

The Ghouls rushed towards us, while Jack O'Lantern enveloped itself in red shine.

This was the substantial boss battle of the mission. 

It was different from the battles we had fought against just Ghouls until now. 

While it might be a bit challenging to handle them in the same way as before. 

I wasn't too worried about that.

I called out to the two Holy Knights.

"Leave the ghouls to you! We'll take on Jack O'Lantern!"

"Please, Daichi-kun! Myarla, we'll deal with those undead ourselves!"

"Yes, sir-nya!"

Myarla's response to Gerald-san's words was spirited. 

The two Holy Knights each readied their weapons and sprinted towards the ghoul pack.

Since then, with twists and turns, Gerald-san and Myarla's relationship has dramatically improved. 

There was no longer a significant rift between them. 

Gerald-san had become more friendly towards the cat-eared girl, and Myarla had grown quite fond of the older, same-aged young man.

As for the details of the twists and turns, they were a bit complicated and dated back a little bit.

***

"That's simply── Gerald-san falling in love with Myarla, isn't it?"

"Huh...?"

Upon my blunt observation, Gerald-san's expression turned as if a pigeon had eaten a bean. 

Ah, so he wasn't aware after all. 

This was after I heard "another old story" from Gerald-san. 

I decided to discard any semblance of mercy and laid out what I thought.

"Sorry, but I didn't feel anything about Myarla the way Gerald-san seems to think. I thought she was a cute girl, that's all. There wasn't anything that stirred my emotions, especially not to the extent Gerald-san suggests."

"W-What nonsense... No, wait, if that's because you already have someone in mind... then, if that's the case, Father and His Majesty... In other words, it means there's a personal difference in the impact."

"Yeah. So, Gerald-san simply fell for Myarla at first sight, right?"

"What...?! No! It can't be──"

Gerald-san was pretty glitched out. 

Without trying to conceal his confusion, he came up with a disjointed counterargument.

"B-But that shouldn't be a reason to deny the impurity of that beastman! That catgirl is clearly trying to tempt me and──"

"I don't think Myarla has any intention like that. Gerald-san, you just fell for her on his own. It's a misunderstanding."

"Ugh...! But if the result is the same, it doesn't matter! That beastman still captivates men! It doesn't change that fact!"

"Well, first of all, is there something wrong with people falling for each other? Gerald-san, you're not already married, right? What's the problem if you like Myarla?"

"What...?! N-No, that's, um, that... Wait, something's wrong, something's wrong... It can't be like that..."

Mumbling all the while, Gerald-san bowed his head.

Seeming to be in great confusion, he asked to be left alone for a moment, so I distanced myself from him. 

Gerald-san continued muttering, seemingly trying to organize his thoughts. 

After a while, he took a deep breath. Then, he slapped his cheeks with both hands and muttered, "Alright.".

As I watched, Gerald-san walked toward Myarla. 

Standing in front of her, who was on guard, he deeply bowed his head.

"I'm sorry, Myarla. I was wrong. I can't ask for forgiveness. But let me apologize. I've truly been sorry until now!"

Bending at a ninety-degree angle, he bowed deeply to Myara. Now it was Myara's turn to be bewildered.

"Gerald-san...? Wh-What's happening, nya, all of a sudden?"

"Myara, all the inappropriate attitudes and insults towards you were all due to my unworthiness. Talking with Daichi-kun made me realize that. I had a terrible misunderstanding."

"Eh, s-so... Gerald-san, will you be friends with me-nya...?"

"Ah, of course. At least, I have no reason to reject you. If Myarla can't forgive me, then it can't be helped. I did something to you."

Upon hearing that, Myara vigorously shook her head.

"That's fine-nya! I forgive, forgive, nya! So... ugh... sniff... uuuu..."

Myarla eventually began shedding tears, tears that flowed endlessly, unable to be contained no matter how much she wiped them away. Watching this, Gerald-san stood there in bewilderment.

"W-Wait, why are you crying? Did I say something to make you cry now...?"

"Uu... I'm crying because I'm happy-nya... Ugh, sniff... Gerald-saaan, thank you-nya!"

"Huh?! W-Wait a minute, why are you hugging me!?"

"Uwaaaah! I'm happy, nya! So happyyy!"

"...And so on."

While Gerald-san apologized for his previous behavior without revealing his one-sided crush on Myarla, she, in return, expressed her affection for him once again. 

Myarla's actions indicating her affection might seem a bit intense.

But perhaps it's just the normal skinship for someone from the cat-eared tribe. Who knows?

Actually, is there a theory that Myara is a real villainess...? 

No, probably not. 

Well, I don't understand women, so I'll ask Kazane-san and Yuzuki later.

In any case, the relationship between the two Holy Knights had significantly improved. 

Now, all that was left was to accomplish the mission, and everything would be clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test