23 April 2024

Musou Slime 78

Test

78. The Essence Of Irena


"Irena...? What's wrong? Sitting there like that..." 

Irena turns around. Her eyes are watery with tears, and it's a different expression from her usual spirited self, something unimaginable from her.

Looking closer, tools are scattered at her feet. It looks like she threw them down.

"...It's hopeless."

Irena wipes away tears with her slender arms, muttering softly.

"What's hopeless?"

"I might break this sword again! My skill is just not enough!"

Desperate now, Irena shouts as she sits down.

"Isn't your way of talking a bit strange?"

"It's part of my character, duh! I'm not that energetic girl!"

The shocking truth is revealed. However, before being surprised, Irena bursts out.

"Arkus is strong, working so hard, but it's me who's holding him back! The sword breaking, the bashing, it's all my fault!"

Irena shouts her heart out, tears flowing freely. As if releasing everything she's been holding back until now, Irena's words don't stop.

Unable to say anything, I avert my gaze to the ground. There, I find something.

"What's this?"

It's a crumpled piece of paper. I open it to check the contents.


――

2-meter greatsword

Dual-wielding gold and silver swords

Flame-spewing magic sword

Teleportation sword

An axe that cuts down anything

――


Written there are the characteristics of weapons. I presume Irena wrote it. The common point becomes clear in an instant. These are the weapons of the tournament participants.

"I don't know... what kind of weapon to make. No matter how much I think, my hands won't move..."

Irena's hands tremble. She has repeated this struggle many times before.

"Arx... what should I do!? Even someone like me, how can I stop holding Arx back?"

"Maybe Irena should do as she likes."

"Huh...?"

Irena looks puzzled, her eyes wide open.

"Seriously! I'm serious—"

"I am serious. I joined the tournament because my partner is Irena. Not to imitate the weapons of other participants."

"But, if I make a weapon, it'll just be laughed at again! Arkus knows that, right!?"

"It's okay to be laughed at."

I take out a storage slime and open the inventory. From it, I take out the one-handed sword I usually use.

"That is..."

"When I first came to this shop, I was drawn to this sword. So I stopped in front of it."

"But then I pressured—"

"Yeah. I was honestly surprised at that time. But now, I don't regret it."

I grip the sword and hold it sideways in front of my face. Reflected in the blade, my eyes gleam.

"This sword has saved my life many times. I know this sword is amazing, and I know Irena who made it is amazing too. So I think Irena is fine being Irena."

"Me, being me...?"

"I want to participate in the tournament with Irena's sword. So, I want Irena to do as she likes."

"Even if that means losing?"

I nod. Even if I lose and get criticized, there shouldn't be any complaints.

I open the inventory again and drop a large ore onto the floor.

"Mithril ore. It's a bit earlier than promised but use this. Will the sword be ready by the finals?"

"...Yeah. I'm not sure if I can do it, but I'll try my best."

That's all I need to hear. I take out a warp slime to connect to the venue.

"I'll enter the tournament alone. Irena, focus on the sword."

"Got it. I'll give it a try."

"And... your usual way of talking suits you better."

"Sh-Shut up! Just be quiet!"

I couldn't help but laugh at Irena's frantic attempt to cover up. But Irena is better when she's lively.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test