21 April 2024

Musou Slime 77

Test

77. Strategy And Resolve


The venue starts buzzing. Well, it's understandable with this kind of approach. It's a sword tournament, so I wanted to use this sword if possible. But of course, it wasn't possible.

"<Appraisal>!"

With the Appraisal Slime on my shoulder, I measured the level of my opponent.


――

Target: Elon McGowan Level 28

――


An A-class adventurer at level 28. Barry, the S-class, is level 35, so there's still a significant gap between them. However, A-class adventurers are undoubtedly among the top percentile in the guild. If this level keeps up, it should be manageable.

"The winner, Dantzel Arms Specialized Store!!"

The host hurriedly declares the end of the match. I descend from the stage with Irena and exit through the gate.

[What was that just now...?]

[Did he defeat an A-class adventurer with a broken sword...?]

[But, the fact remains that he participated with a broken sword. Besides, aren't we here to watch the swords as well?]

[Even if the match result was good, without a proper sword...]

We exit through the gate amidst the murmurs of the audience.

Now, the exit is complete. I turn around to look at Irena. It's to think about the strategy for the future. So far, things aren't going too well.

"Irena, about what comes next..."

I address Irena. However, she's looking down, seemingly devoid of spirit. It's as if she didn't hear me talking.

"Irena?"

"Y-yeah! I heard ya!"

Well, never mind.

"About the strategy from now on... as Rize suggested, I think Irena should repair the sword until the next match."

Here's the plan.

Firstly, this tournament consists of up to 5 rounds. Today, the first day, we have 2 matches, and tomorrow we'll have 3 matches. We're in Block A and B, where winners are decided, and finally, there's the championship match. 

Since we're the second match in Block A, we have quite some time until the next match. The plan is to have Irena repair the sword during that time. 

It's unreasonable to keep asking her to fight like this in every match. Besides, she participated in this tournament to showcase her skill. Even if I were to win like I did just now by kicking my opponent, it wouldn't be for Irena. Moreover, Barry is in Block B. If other adventurers are at A-class level, it's easy to imagine clashing with them in the final. Anyway, having a weapon is essential.

"Will you be able to prepare the sword by tomorrow's championship match? If not, worst case scenario, even bare-handed..."

"No way!"

Irena sharply retorted. It caught me off guard.

"W-what's wrong?"

"...Sorry, I raised my voice. But it's no good. It can't stay like this..."

"Is it really that bad?"

"...It's absolutely no good!"

With that, Irena deeply bowed her head to me.

"Please! I know I'm asking the impossible! But I want to create something I'm satisfied with! I'll definitely make it work somehow!"

If she's saying that, there's nothing more I can do. I trust Irena. Her artisan spirit must be important.

"Got it. But can you really do it?"

"I can. I'll definitely make it in time!"

Irena's words seem familiar yet slightly different. Full of confidence, yet she seems to be pushing herself hard.

Even so, all I can do is see her off. I summon a Warp Slime, connecting to Dantzelsan's shop.

"I'll call you when it's time for the next match!"

"Got it!"

And so, I parted ways with Irena and entered a break.

The morning session is over. Our second round will start in about 30 minutes.

Yet, there's no sign of Irena returning.

"Should I go check on her...?"

Using the Warp Slime, I headed to the armory where Irena should be working.

The transfer was completed, and I moved toward the workshop in the back from the usual shop interior. She should be working here.

"It's no good... this won't do..."

Irena's voice came from the back. She seems to be in a terribly urgent state.

"Irena!?"

Passing through the curtain, I entered the workshop and was surprised.

Irena was sitting on the floor, holding her head in her hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test