09 April 2024

Introverted Archer 70

Test

70. Rational Romance!


"Hey, Eimu-kun, are you listening?"

I heard Hina's voice, and I finally snapped out of it.

A few days since the sports festival. Lunch break. In the classroom. It seems I've been zoning out while having lunch.

Hina scooted her desk beside mine, directing a sharp gaze towards me.

That seems to be the pattern when she wants to talk about something.

"Eimu-kun, you weren't listening just now, were you?"

"No, I was listening. But at the same time, I realized something amazing. What if this world got created just five minutes ago? For example, if we were created five minutes ago with all our memories of the past 17 years――"

"You weren't listening just now, were you?"

"...No, I wasn't listening."

Feeling pressured by Hina's words, I folded immediately. I guess I couldn't bluff my way out this time.

"Kageyama-kun, you've been zoning out a lot lately. Are you sleep-deprived? I sometimes stay up late because I'm curious about the continuation of a book, but it's not good for your health, you know?"

Fuyuka is also here beside Hina. Since the sports festival, the three of us have been having lunch together like this.

It seems Fuyuka is popular among some of the boys, which has led to even more attention than before.

"Hina, sorry, but could you repeat that? It seems like an important topic."

"Yeah! So, Ricky-senpai and Setsuna-san seem to be getting along well lately!"

"...Ricky-senpai?"

"It's Rikimaru-senpai!"

When did they become so friendly to call him that?

And this topic seems even more irrelevant than I thought.

"But Setsuna-san used to criticize Rikimaru-senpai so much. What changed?"

"Setsuna-san watched Rikimaru-senpai's last fight! And then, she seemed to have a change of heart, thinking he's cool!"

"What's with that? She used to say all that effort was pointless, didn't she?"

"This is just my speculation! But I think Setsuna-san doesn't dislike Rikimaru-senpai. She just wanted Rikimaru-senpai to give up on Ushiwakamaru-senpai. So, this change of heart and her previous comments make sense!"

I wanted to say that it's a conclusion-driven speculation, but I couldn't bring myself to do it after seeing Hina's confident expression.

"Love is wonderful! Ricky-senpai standing up to Shiranui-senpai in the end was so cool. Anyone would fall for him, not just Setsuna-san!"

"That's true... I've heard rumors about couples being formed after this sports festival. I think there must have been romantic dramas like in stories!"

Huh, am I the minority here?

I'm not romantic like them. I'm not the type to expect romantic or dramatic things like that.

"But he managed to seize it properly."

Defeating a superior opponent one-on-one, winning with a weak team. The ideals of getting noticed by the person you like at the end—things that shouldn't have happened according to my expectations.

But he grabbed it himself. What has meaning and what is meaningless won't be known until the end, huh?

"Love, huh..."

I gaze out the window lost in thought. I think a little about that one word that I've never really thought about before.

"Eimu-kun, are you in love?"

Maybe, that's what it is after all. The answer to what I've been thinking about these past few days might be right there.

I can't see it myself, but I can't help but think that it might be. When I rationally dissect it, this irrational word comes up to me.

"...Maybe I am."

Thud!!!

A thunderous sound echoes throughout the classroom. It's the sound of Hina slamming her desk.

She approaches with sparkling eyes.

"Tell me more!!"

Oops, it seems I've triggered something strange.

"No, it's not like that. When I said I'm in love... I meant with the dungeon."

I've been thinking about it for a long time. The dissatisfaction is somewhere in my heart.

Following the nuisance streamer, defeating the rare top student in the academy, and even conquering the strongest student in the academy.

Although I essentially held the title of the strongest in the academy, my heart wasn't satisfied. I've been thinking about the reason for that.

Perhaps it's because I can no longer be satisfied with humans.

It was fun when I executed rational techniques. But it's slightly different from when I fought floor bosses in the dungeon. The big difference is that it's not a fight against superior opponents.

"Kageyama-kun? Your eyes seem kinda scary..."

"...Eimu-kun, you're the type who has affection for inanimate objects, huh? Well, I'll support you, but..."

"I don't think it's like that!?"

Today is Friday. There are no assignments to do. Alright. Let's do it after all.

Tomorrow, I will surpass my personal best in dungeon conquest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test