08 April 2024

Genius 24

Test

Chapter 24. Origin Of Magic


After waiting for Sara to calm down, Hermes warmed up the tea in the thermos he had brought using a Generic Fire Magic and offered it to her as a breather.

"Thank you very much... Oh, it's delicious."

"More than anything. Although the taste fades compared to freshly brewed, it's always delicious, and Lady Katia also approves of it."

Upon hearing Katia's name, Sara reacted.

"Um... Hermes-san, you're Katia-sama's childhood friend, right...?"

"Hmm? Yes, that's correct."

"So, you got kicked out of the Frembleed family, and Katia-sama picked you up?"

"...Well, there were twists and turns, but ultimately, yes."

There was a five-year gap until then, but he had to obscure it since he couldn't talk about his master's surroundings.

"I see... So, you serve Katia-sama, and Katia-sama also trusts you that much?"

"..."

"...I envy that."

After finishing her tea, Sara's gaze towards Hermes was filled with unmistakable envy.

Just as Katia was concerned about Sara, Sara undoubtedly admired Katia as well. It was clear from her gaze.

"Katia-sama has been very kind to me at school."

She began to speak, lowering her head and shyly smiling.

"When I first enrolled, I was quite unpopular around me. Despite being from a baronial family, I had two Bloodline Magics. People around me couldn't forgive that."

"I see."

"I was spoken ill of, and things were hidden from me. Naturally, I couldn't make any friends. It was very tough. At that time, Katia-sama reached out to me."

Indeed, given her personality, she wouldn't overlook such a situation.

At that time, she certainly had a near-fatal flaw of being unable to use magic. But compensating for that with an abundance of intellect, culture, and being a beautiful daughter of a duke, not to mention the fiancee of the second prince, she was highly regarded by those around her.

Moreover, Katia, who was in a position inferior but possessed outstanding magical talent that Sarah lacked, should have weakened her animosity towards Sarah by actively supporting her.

"Still, there were people who did mean things. But every time, Katia-sama protected me..."

"So, you're saying Katia-sama didn't bully you."

"Yes... At least, I never thought so myself. But..."

Prince Aster, the second prince, did.

Something had started to go wrong since he took notice of Sara.

"Katia-sama's attitude didn't change. Rather, she protected me from increasingly mean things. But, why did Prince Aster..."

It's easy to imagine.

He probably fabricated facts with unilateral assumptions as he did at that party, claiming that Katia bullied Sara.

And the people around him followed suit.

"Certainly, I received Katia-samas's advice. But it was to make decisions properly, to have more confidence. It was to help me correct my flaws. But Prince Aster..."

He exaggerated and twisted the contents of the advice, using them as material to incriminate Katia.

Katia firmly protested and even tried to improve Aster's habit, but it was in vain, and eventually...

Though the reason is unknown, Aster wanted to discredit Katia, whom he once noticed.

"...What could possibly be wrong with him."

"I'm sorry... I... I'm indebted to her so much, and to see someone I respect going through such hardship, and yet, I can't do anything..."

She started to shed tears again.

"Because I got caught Prince Aster's eye, Mother was very pleased... It's also in line with the teachings to support gentlemen. But I'm afraid to speak up to Prince Aster, and I can't do anything..."

"..."

I sympathize.

But I can't comfort her by saying it's inevitable.

Regardless of the circumstances, the fact remains that Sara is now opposed to us, and it's her fault for not taking specific action while still doubting it.

No. Maybe she's the one who's normal in this country.

Most nobles blindly obey those with strong opinions about bloodline magic and consider doubting or opposing it as evil.

Because that's how this country operates.

Monsters are the biggest threat in this country. It's rational to give a lot of authority to those who can efficiently defeat them.

In that sense...

"Katia-sama might be unusually noble in this country."

"Yes. But, I still respect Katia-sama, who is so upright, and kind, and always tries to assert her own will. So..."

"I understand. I'll convey that."

Hermes stands up. He's heard what he wanted, and Sara seems to have calmed down. There's no point in staying any longer.

"...Oh, right, Sara-sama."

"Yes?"

But just one more thing before he leaves. For the first time, he calls Sara by her name and speaks.

"Regardless of the reason, it's a fact that you colluded with Katia-sama's downfall. I don't intend to overlook that."

"..."

"But, thank you for telling me about it. Although it may sound rude to say I'm grateful for it..."

"I-It's okay..."

"But, it's my honest feeling. If I didn't think your heart was pure, I wouldn't say such things."

"Y-Yes!"

Hmm, any more words will only accelerate the strange atmosphere.

Besides, I've heard enough from her now. Aster is definitely someone to be denied for me. I don't need to hesitate anymore.

Thinking that way, Hermes tries to leave the scene with just enough courtesy.

"...Um, excuse me!"

However, just as he turns his back, a voice calls out to him, and he turns around again.

Sara, who remains with a faint blush on her cheeks, either from the lingering feeling from earlier or some other reason, stands there in a daze.

"Why... why are you so..."

Later, Sara, who still had a slight blush on her cheeks, was left standing in amazement, whether it was from the lingering atmosphere from earlier or some other reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test