08 April 2024

General 38

Test

Chapter 38. Starting Test Preparation Is Tough


It's early July, just before the end of the rainy season, on a Friday.

Even though it's not raining, an oppressive event approaches, much like the overcast sky.

"Starting next week, it's test week. And before that, please note that club activities are suspended until the end of the testing period."

Hayami-san, our class teacher, announces the administrative details during our closing homeroom.

"Ugh..."

I haven't taken what could be called a test in years.

Ideally, to attain the rank of a junior officer, one should attend military academies rigorously, graduate from officer schools, undergo training with each promotion, and pass corresponding exams. But as a field promotion, I've never taken any of these.

I wanted to spend a year away from the battlefield attending officer school, but the consequences are catching up to me.

"This is bad..."

My main concern is the general education subjects.

While the practical and specialized subjects related to soul equipment are still in the first year, and the exam content is basic, there's no problem.

However, subjects like language and mathematics, typical for high school students in regular education, are honestly troublesome.

When I was traversing battlefields, the higher-ups in the military perhaps thought it was risky. So they gave me age-appropriate textbooks. However, with frequent bombings and camps getting blown away, I couldn't read them properly.

"I miss having classes in the blue sky classroom on the battlefield with Toshi-nii... He must be too busy now for that."

I want to talk to Toshi-nii via web call again, but even if I ask him to teach me, he's likely to cut me off without a word.

As I ponder alone like this,

"Yuu-sama."

"At school, I'm Kamiya. Hayami-san."

Hayami-san addresses me.

I sit up straight, changing my posture from leaning on my hand, and face Hayami-san with the student demeanor.

"Excuse me. Kamiya-kun, is something troubling you?"

After school, Hayami-san, seeing me sitting differently and looking more gloomy than usual, approaches me in the guise of a homeroom teacher reaching out to a student who seems isolated.

"I'm wondering what to do about the test."

"In that case, shall we have supplementary lessons? Just the two of us after school."

"Huh? No, that's too much trouble. There's no need for individual lessons."

"No, it's natural for an educator to strive for diligent students. Ju-ru-ru."

"You're drooling, Hayami-san."

She's not someone who can keep up the facade of being a teacher until the end.

"But, seriously, what will you do about the test?"

"Well, realistically speaking, I might have to retake the general subjects..."

I lament with a gloomy face.

"That won't do! You, a junior officer, retaking an exam! In that case, I'll fetch the test papers from the desk of the general subjects teacher myself."

"Hey! Don't talk about serious cheating so loudly, Hayami-san! And don't call me a junior officer!"

If you're going to cheat, at least do it discreetly!

I don't know anything. It was done by my secretary without my knowledge!

"Why are you shouting in the classroom?"

"Oops! There are still people in the classroom. Oh, it's you, Kohou-san."

"At school, they call her Chief Kohou, the 2nd-year class leader, didn't I tell you?"

"Oh, sorry, sorry."

I warned Hayami-san and then focused on myself.

We usually meet at the main entrance when leaving, but today she came all the way to the second-year classroom.

"Oh? Kohou-san. You seem to have quite a heavy load."

Looking at Mina, she not only had a student bag but also a large tote bag hanging on her shoulder.

"I can't go to the club room for a while, so I brought my belongings up here for now."

In response to Hayami-san's inquiry, Mina responds matter-of-factly.

"What are you going to use the tassels sticking out of your tote bag for?"

"Hayami-san, please tidy up the one-year-old toys like rattles in the club room. What are those even used for?"

It seems that Hayami-san and Mina only know superficially about each other's peculiarities.

"Oh, by the way, during the test period, can't we enter the club room?"

"That's right. So let's go to a family restaurant."

"Ugh... Just hearing the word 'family restaurant' makes me feel full already..."

I recall Mina's voracious eating the other day.

Even though she's a growing high schooler, that amount was abnormal.

"This time, I'll make sure to eat a reasonable amount. You can't study properly on a full stomach."

"So we're going to study at the family restaurant?"

"Yes. I'll oversee your studies, Yu. I even have past year's questions."

"I love you, Mina-sensei!"

"Hehe... Well then, shall we go, Yuu-kun?"

With a sly smile, Mina wraps her arm around mine.

"...Are you two going alone?"

Hayami-san looks at Mina with a stern gaze.

"After school hours are off-duty, so even though you're superior, you have no obligation to answer♪"

"Is that provocative attitude your answer...?"

"What's wrong? You won't skip work and go to a family restaurant during this crucial test week, are you~?"

"Ugh..."

"Hayami-san, as a newly appointed teacher, you may not know, but during this test week, even after school, there's usually a line of students outside the instructor's office asking questions~"

"Is that so."

"Ughhh..."

Hayami-san is ostensibly a school instructor, so naturally, she has several students under her charge.

Especially for the Soul Armor subject that Hayami-san is in charge of. It's crucial for everyone's future, so they are particularly enthusiastic.

"Well then, with that said, leave Yuu-kun to me~♪"

"If I'm only focusing on Yuu-kun, it's unfair to other students, so this Mina will take care of studying. Well then, Hayami-san, good luck with the questions."

"Nngh!"

With the sound of Hayami-san's grinding teeth behind me, Mina and I leave the classroom.

"You're too soft, Hayami-san... You should regret provoking me..."

As we left, I felt like I heard Hayami-san's voice filled with resentment, but I pretended not to hear.

◇◇◇◆◇◇◇

"Why are you guys here?"

Mina's voice echoes inside the family restaurant.

As Mina and I enter the restaurant, we see familiar faces already seated in a booth, waving at us.

"Got a message from Hayami-sensei to look after Kamiya's stud." 

Suo-senpai says, tilting his cup of blended coffee.

"And I got a straight message from Hayami-sensei to come and bother you two since you'd be alone," Kotomi says, showing Mina the screen of her smartphone.

"That old hag!" 

Mina slams her fist onto the table, trembling with anger.

Watching the confrontation between Hayami-san and Mina, I sadly realized that wars and conflicts will never disappear from the world.

"Yuu, if you're studying for the test, shouldn't you be asking the top student of our year?" 

Kotomi, with her grumpy expression, but right now, everyone's attention is on Kotomi for a different reason.

"Hey, Hinoura-san. What about that stuffed toy you're holding so dearly? Could it be...?"

That's right.

Kotomi was holding the stuffed toy I gave her when she came to my house the other day.

Honestly, it's not a stuffed toy of a size you'd carry around.

"Oh, this little guy is a gift from Yuu. Isn't he adorable?"

"...That stuffed toy. Return it to Yuu immediately."

"No way! This little one is already part of my family!"

Saying that, she hugs the spherical character plushie tightly.

Despite wearing the high school uniform, Kotomi looks petite and childish, and the scene strangely fits her.

"Mina, this is actually a gift I ga..."

"Don't call it 'this.' Say 'this little one,' Yuu! This little one is my precious family member!"

"Uh... alright..."

I didn't quite understand. Apparently, it didn't sit well with the stuffed toy enthusiast, and Kotomi scolded her.

Well, if Kotomi loves it this much, this stuffed... I mean, this little one must be happy too.

"But, you see..."

Despite being overwhelmed by Kotomi's determination, Mina tries to protest with an awkward and hesitant tone.

"If you complain any further about this little one, I have something in mind. Is that okay, Kohou-senpai? While Yuu wasn't here, I know what you did with this little one."

"Gulp!" 

Mina trembles, starting to sweat profusely.

Even though the air conditioning is working a bit too well inside the family restaurant.

"Co... Could it be...?"

"Since I have a heightened sense of smell due to my Soul Armor abilities, you know? So, your scent might have rubbed off on this little one, Kohou-senpai..."

"Uwaaaaah! Waaah! Waaah! Understood! This little one is Hinoura-san's child! No objections!"

As Mina vigorously waved her hands, Kotomi's words got drowned out.

"Hey, Mina. There are other customers here, so don't be too loud. And wow, you're sweating a lot, Mina."

"Haah... Sorry. Got a little carried away there."

As Kotomi wipes her sweat, Mina, still breathing heavily, looks embarrassed. Kotomi, on the other hand, proudly strokes the stuffed toy's head with a triumphant expression.

"Hey, let's study."

With Suo-senpai's simple words, we finally remembered our original purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test