22 April 2024

Earth Dungeon 167

Test

Chapter 167. After Party


The party's over, and we get into the waiting limousine. It's a long, slender car with spacious seats and a small refrigerator. I rode in one before, but it's still impressive. Who would've thought we'd be riding in a limousine?

I sit in a comfortable chair, Celica sitting next to me instead of across. She leans against my shoulder affectionately, her face flushed with happiness. There's a cursed spirit hovering over her, but I'll pretend I didn't see that.

As the door slams shut, the limousine rattles and starts moving.

"In this case, shouldn't it glide smoothly as it starts?"

"I-I've never driven a limousine before! Today's my first time, nya!"

I sigh at the tense voice of the catgirl in the driver's seat. She's so stiff, it feels like she'll break if you poke her.

"No wonder we kept stalling on the way here. Did Celica buy this limo just for the party?"

"Yeah, nya. Even though I said we could use my car, she insisted on buying one."

"Ah, I get it. It's to avoid being looked down upon."

Visiting a party of wealthy people in a compact car would invite ridicule. It's not about lacking money; it's about avoiding such rudeness. Celica buying the limo probably had that in mind.

Though the driver is Karin. They couldn't hire a trusted driver.

"I'm a colonel now, you know? Normally, I should be the one riding with a driver."

I tilt my head in disbelief at Hanari's response.

"Well, congratulations on the promotion. We'll celebrate later. But seriously, what's going on? Serika, be serious for once."

I lightly poke Serika's head as she leans against me with closed eyes, lost in bliss. The ethereal Shizuku keeps headbutting her, calling it the Azteca Shizuku Attack, but Serika seems to enjoy it.

"Never mind, I-I won't say anything. It might actually happen if I do."

She adopts a teasing tone but quickly repositions herself on the other side. Resting her chin on her hand, she turns mischievously towards me.

Amidst the darkness outside the window, neon lights from the city illuminate Serika.

"It seems the inner city is in trouble now. They're under attack from Noda City."

"Huh? Does that mean they've started a civil war?"

I'm slightly surprised by the unexpected news. It's audacious to enjoy a party among themselves during this dungeon war.

"I've investigated, and apparently, they had a hidden magical device in the inner city. A terrain-swapping device. But it was taken by Noda's forces during the attack. As a result, Ashikaga lost his second son, resigned from the general position, lost his factory, couldn't acquire the oil fields, and is in a tight spot."

"A terrain-swapping device? I've never heard of such a magical tool."

I mentioned it earlier, but it's still unbelievable. If such a device existed, it'd be incredibly useful. So that's why they went to Niigata to acquire the oil fields. I wondered how they'd transport it.

"I've never seen it myself. I've never heard of such a magical tool either."

"It's true. I've never heard of it either. What kind of magical tool is it?"

I find it surprisingly rare as they both tilt their heads in curiosity. These two seem to know everything.

[I don't know everything, just what I know.]

"We don't know everything, just what we know."

They both respond happily in unison. They seem to get along well. Although they sometimes argue over other people's lines. Also, could you please stop reading my thoughts?

"Ahem. Anyway, due to the considerable damage, Karin was easily promoted to colonel. And the Ashikaga family is seeking reinforcements for their lost soldiers."

They're in desperate need of reinforcements. I see.

"Then isn't it counterproductive to fight against me?"

Fighting against me might lead to their downfall. Isn't that absurd?

"That's why Ashikaga is planning two strategies, I presume."

Celica raises another finger and smiles.

"Lure you with money and recruit you. It's quite forceful. Since they don't know who's backing you. It could be a life-saving strategy. They could gain soldiers and farms from Tenshuha Corporation."

"It seems they're really desperate. Although it's quite audacious for a scheming power figure."

Such a plan won't work. Even if they buy out Shingen. Tenshuha Corporation might be busy due to the lack of manpower, but they could replace their executives if necessary. There's a chance I might die from overwork.

And betrayal is not forgiven. The rules of the ruins, no, my rules are strict. Shingen and his men understand that.

"I know what Karin is thinking as a good wife. You think it won't work, right? That's why the second plan is the main one."

Celica raises another finger.

"To kill you and take control of Amatsugahara Corporation. It might replenish the lost soldiers and fields. With war looming, Ashikaga doesn't have time to negotiate and is resorting to force."

"Assassination, huh? I must be quite important. Is my name that well-known? Was there a bargain sale?"

"In this case, it's more like a limited-time festival."

It's quite an interesting festival. It's funny that I'm the center of it. By the way, why do you add unnecessary comments? Although I feel like Dangerous Droplet might be born from saying I'm a good wife.

"Assassination, huh~. So, what's the plan now? Are we heading to Amatsugahara Corporation?"

Karin asks, twitching her cat ears in curiosity. I cross my legs, pondering our next move. It would be mischievous to return to the limousine and surprise everyone, but maybe I should refrain.

"If I die, Shingen would likely take over... but he probably won't seek revenge."

"The people of the abandoned town would mourn, but they'll move forward."

I can't help but smile wryly at the prompt response from the cat girl. Indeed, they're not the type to waste energy on revenge. They might just quietly become Ashikaga's subordinates. I'm not sure about Masamune, though. If they're promised good treatment and a chance to help the people of the ruins, they might join as well.

[Even a paper balloon of humanity will burst if you hit it too hard.]

[Some are also ruled by force. Without me, they'll all be in trouble.]

Without the Core Store, they might return to a miserable life. But it's futile to dwell on what happens after I'm gone.

"Alright, Karin. I'm curious about the silent helicopter lurking around, so for now, let's head to the ruins. Go northward. Sorry, Serika, but you're coming with me."

"U-uh! I-Is there really a helicopter lurking around?!"

Mana sensing can't be fooled. I noticed it through the eyes of the Dark Cat perched on the limousine. It's a helicopter that makes almost no noise, so the chances of it being noticed are low.

"Understood. I'm a bit clumsy, but I'll do my best. Let's work together from now on."

[Misinterpretation, distortion! Serika-chan, be careful on the night of the new moon!]

My partner, Shizuku who stops playing to correct living arrangements with a serious expression, receives a glare from me. Ignoring our playful banter, she moves to the front seat.

"Please wear your seatbelt."

"Tell that to the junk in the back."

Karin glanced at me as she settled into the passenger seat, then quickly started looking outside.

"It's no use. I can't see anything either. It's impossible with the naked eye."

"If it gets hit by machine gun fire, this limousine will turn into scrap."

"It's fine, Karin. I made some modifications. It's just a little due to lack of time. It has the same strength as an armored vehicle. It can withstand casual attacks."

Serika reassures Karin, who is worried, after stopping her banter with droplets.

"What if it's not a casual attack?"

"Then it might be reduced to pieces. Can the Vanguard withstand machine gun fire?"

I shrug, asking as if it were small talk, but who knows?

"Probably. Maybe."

I'm not entirely confident. But don't they have countermeasures? I'm not planning to lose, though.

"Then let's pass through the outer city and head to the ruins!"

"Sounds good! You look like a movie heroine. A car action movie with me and the Vanguard."

Celica smiles excitedly, her hands covering her mouth as she speaks.

"Don't leave me out of the fun."

Sighing, Karin grips the steering wheel tightly.

[If you abandon Serika-chan here, the car's acceleration might improve, Sakimorisan. Serika-chan surely has some means of resistance hidden.]

Showing overflowing trust towards her best friend, droplets speak.

"A car action movie, huh? I'd like to see one after a long time. Alright, Hanari. Once we're out of the ruins, step on the gas."

I feel a bit excited myself. I've always admired car action movies a little.

"Roger." 

Karin responds, and we smoothly advance through the city. It seems the helicopter won't make a move in the inner city.

We pass through the outer city and head towards the gate to the ruins. It's already closed since it's night, but it doesn't matter.

"I am Lieutenant Colonel Kazama Karin! I need to go to the ruins for a mission! Open the gate!"

Karin gives instructions to the soldiers guarding the gate through the open window, and they hurriedly open the gate. A proud cat girl, boasting proudly as a colonel. She knows how to use her power.

[In situations like this, you're supposed to break through the gate.]

[If the gate is broken, it'll cause trouble.]

It's not like in the movies. We'll have to think about how to defend it tomorrow.

"Let's go~!"

With her tail raised, Hanari accelerates into the darkness of the ruins. Since we're coming from the north, this area is far from Tenshuha Corporation and pitch black.

In the darkness, the limousine moves amidst the twinkling stars. We navigate through rubble and abandoned cars, but Hanari is surprisingly skilled at driving. She seems to be getting used to the limousine.

"Vanguard, want to come to the back? I-I want to cling to you because I'm scared."

"I'm just a taxi, so I don't offer that kind of service."

I respond to Serika's joke with a click of my tongue.

"There's also a helicopter hiding in front."

"It had a transmitter attached. You didn't check the car properly, did you?"

The albino girl answers nonchalantly without a hint of remorse. I forgot to use my trap detection.

"Gyah, why didn't you remove it?!"

"Isn't this a chance to strike?"

No question in Karin's response, despite her condemning it with a scream.

"I agree. Good one, Serika."

I'll pat her on the head later. This after-party promises to be fun

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test