22 March 2024

Shop 61

Test

Chapter 61. Spiral Wave in the Wilderness


"What's a spiral?" 

I asked the three dumbfounded people. 

I really wanted a straightforward explanation.

"Hmm... a spiral wave of all things..." 

One of them muttered.

"I've never seen a spiral before."

"Of course not, spiral wave users are rare even in big cities. But still, they're extremely rare. Veliero's snake wave is impressive, but it's nothing compared to this." 

The guys continued their boys' talk, leaving me out.

"I don't quite get it. Is it rare?"

From the conversation, it seemed to be a rare type. Like Rh-negative blood type or something?

"Yes. I've never seen one among dwarves."

"I've heard rumors of a spiral wave user in Sevites, but it's just hearsay." Added Master Rooster Max.

"Hmm, then what kind of gear suits a spiral user?"

"What do you mean?"

Why suddenly talk about gear?

"Each wave type is suited to different weapons. For my Shell wave, hammers, shields, and metal armor are best."

"Ah, what about Cherina's Snake?"

"I have no idea."

Typical.

"For weapons, whips and ropes are said to be good, and for armor, leather or scale mail is suitable."

"Ah, so that's why you use a chain as a weapon."

"Exactly. Since I spend a lot of time on ships, mastering rope handling with this wave has proven very useful."

"Perfect match."

"I have a favor to ask of the young lady..."

Max humbly bowed to Cherina. I wished he'd show me the same respect.

"Yes... Oh, you want me to read those documents, right?"

"Sorry to trouble you. I can hardly read at all... Hey! Someone get a scroll of waves! 3 seconds!"

The low-level henchmen watching us scurried off to a nearby shack, rolling over each other, and brought back a scroll.

A fox-like man with a bruised eye proudly handed the scroll to Max.

"Too slow!!!" 

Max punched him hard, sending him flying to the opposite fence. 

Isn't he dead... oh, he got up, with bruises on both eyes, looking like a panda. 

But this Max guy is just too unreasonable.

"Sorry for the wait, young lady."

Yet he was very humble towards Cherina. Weak to authority, this muscle-headed guy is the worst...

"No problem at all. It's nostalgic, to see this scroll again. I remember when my wave was identified as a snake, I also saw this scroll."

"Ah, yes. I've memorized most waves, but rare ones... sorry."

"No worries... ah, here it is. The preferred weapons for the spiral wave are... unknown..."

"......"

Unknown? Well, I'm not planning on fighting anyway, so it doesn't matter.

"There's more... Spears and bare hands are expected to be suitable. Armor is completely unknown."

"......"

"Well, it doesn't matter to me. I can't fight with weapons anyway."

"Perhaps you need to retrain your fundamental nature first."

Please don't say such terrifying things.

"I'd prefer not to."

"Akira, man, training, normal."

"Where I'm from, it wasn't normal."

Yaralai widened his eyes. Why is he looking at me like he's just found freshly brewed coffee in the middle of the road?

"What will you do, miss? If you want the basics hammered in, I can manage in 1-2 weeks."

"No, that won't be necessary. Thank you for today. Here's a token of my appreciation."

"Wow! This much! Please come anytime! You're always welcome!"

Master Max, delighted with the coins handed to him, bowed repeatedly. He's weak not just to authority but also to money.

"Well then, we'll take our leave."

"Hey! You lot! Say goodbye to the young lady!"

"""Thank you!"""

Is that considered saying goodbye?

――――

"However... the spiral was unexpected..." 

Hagg stroked his dwarf beard before crossing his arms.

"Yes, but for now, focusing on the basics should suffice, right?"

"Indeed. I can't use a spear, but the grass elf over there should know about hand-to-hand combat."

"You're incompetent."

"What did you say?! You can't even teach wave theory!"

"Learning spirit magic, unable to use wave theory, the premise is different."

"Hmph! Elves are nothing but sophists!"

Hagg stomped his foot heavily.

"If you have a complaint, then teach spear techniques, martial arts, yourself. If you can, that is."

"Our body types and strength are too different! Even if I wanted to, I couldn't teach you!"

"How about not teaching at all?"

I attempted to intercept promptly.

"That's not an option."

"...Alright then."

I wanted to pretend the training never happened amidst the chaos.

But I was exasperated by how well they synced up only in such situations. 

If only they were this cooperative all the time. Damn it.

"For now, Akira, let's start with breathing techniques. Just follow my lead."

Hagg lowered his hips and repeated his breathing in a strange rhythm. Huh, huh, foo. No, not like that. It should sink in more slowly.

After mimicking the breathing for about five minutes, I felt a strange heat around my lower abdomen.

"Oh, you've started to grasp the essence of it. Keep repeating the breath while maintaining that sensation."

I focused on my breath without replying. If I spoke, I felt like I would lose it. I need to harmonize with the rhythmic breath, something welled up from within my body, enveloping my entire being. It was a completely new sensation.

"Akira, you have talent."

"Really?"

Reacting involuntarily to Yaralai's praise, the enveloping force suddenly shrank.

"Hey! Akira! Don't let your guard down! Do it again!"

"Oh, sorry."

I hurriedly resumed my breathing, and this time, the force enveloping my body flowed more smoothly than before.

"Alright, now walk while maintaining that feeling."

"...O-Okay."

Trying to maintain my breath as much as possible, I slowly moved my legs. 

The strange sensation enveloping my body wavered, but I managed to suppress it somehow. 

In the time it takes to cook instant noodles, I could walk without dissipating the force.

"Hmm, not bad. Your skills are quite impressive, Akira. You seem to be good at directing the wave's energy to your lower abdomen. The internal waves in your body are being properly activated."

Could it be that this is about those powerful palm strikes?

"Alright, Akira! Now try running while maintaining that feeling!"

I started running slowly from a brisk walk, being careful not to dissipate the force. As I increased my speed, I noticed something.

"Aren't you getting tired?"

"Yes. It's not martial energy... No, it's a characteristic of wave theory. If the wave gets activated regarding physical movement, fatigue gets reduced, and the physical condition improves significantly. You should be able to run faster than usual."

"Let me... try."

Since I wasn't yet accustomed to the unique breathing technique, it was difficult to talk, but I gradually got used to it and could act without disrupting my breath.

As I followed Hagg's instructions and increased my speed, I was surprised at how fast I could run.

I was running about one and a half times faster than I thought I could, yet I didn't feel much fatigue.

"Wow... I'm surprised myself."

"Amazing, Akira-sama. It took me about three days to be able to do that."

"A difference of two or three days is just a margin of error."

"We dwarves seem to be able to use it once we notice it, so I don't really understand."

"You've been able to use it since you were a kid..."

My mood, which had been somewhat elevated, sank all at once. Apparently, this level is child's play.

"I, too, don't know the details."

Ah, I remember the elves saying something like they couldn't use wave theory.

"Well, to train the basics and strengthen the body, Akira will run a marathon to that shack."

"Huh?"

Hagg was quite the Spartan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test