13 March 2024

Shop 57

Test

Chapter 57. Confession In The Wilderness


Upon returning to town, we headed back to the Veliero Company.

"Miss, a messenger just arrived, and we've arranged a meeting with the Molmore Company. Anytime tomorrow morning works for them. They are also willing to come here."

"Is it not impolite for us to wait for their offer?"

"I don't see a problem. We are already handling work regularly."

"Understood. Please coordinate for their visit tomorrow."

"Yes."

They managed to schedule a meeting so quickly after sending a messenger. They're quite efficient.

"Akira-sama and I have some business now. Do you have any open warehouses?"

Cherina quickly moves the conversation forward. She switches topics quite swiftly.

"Warehouses? Number 2 and number 6 are available."

"Understood. Please ensure no one approaches number 6."

"Yes."

Another aide, different from Melvin, swiftly proceeds with the arrangements. Veliero Company sure has competent personnel. 

They must have excelled in my previous company. However, if they were as capable as these individuals, they probably wouldn't have been in the same department as me. So we wouldn't have interacted.

"Let's go then."

Cherina seemed to address only me, but naturally, my guard Yaralai and the bored Hagg also followed.

"Um..."

Cherina began to say something, but I interrupted her.

"Hagg is fine. As for Yaralai..."

After a few seconds of thought, I made a decision. I can trust this man. Or rather, I want to trust him.

"Yaralai, I'm going to show you my secret. Can you promise not to tell anyone?"

"Akira-sama?!"

"Cherina, Yaralai should be fine. What do you think?"

"Very well. Akira, you've finally accepted me as a friend."

Wait, what does that mean?

"Akira, I have a secret, and you knew, didn't you?"

Seriously?!

Yaralai is either sharp or I'm just bad at hiding things. Either way, it's a bit disheartening.

"So, I'll show you, but keep it to yourself."

"Of course."

Yaralai nods emphatically. Meanwhile, Cherina mutters, "Did Hagg also know? It wasn't just a secret between you two, was it?" Even your grass knows about it, huh?

"Let's do this."

Guided by Cherina, we headed to Warehouse 6. This is where we secretly stored the potatoes needed due to the conspiracy of Pig King II, the king of this country.

"Here we are."

It feels oddly nostalgic even though it's only been a few days. It's been ten days since I got transported to this world.

I cross my arms and ponder for a moment.

"So, Cherina, as I mentioned before, I plan to distribute cassava and corn. What's the budget?"

"Well... up to 5 million should be fine."

"That's reassuring."

I check the prices for cassava and corn seeds. Of course, I'm conscious of ensuring the cassava is non-toxic.

Cassava Cuttings (10 pieces) = 3000 yen

Corn Seeds (500 grains) = 1160 yen

"Now, let's start with cassava. How about going straight for 10,000 pieces!"

"10,000 pieces?!"

"Yeah, plant half immediately, stagger the planting of the remaining 5,000 pieces. That should work."

"That's... bold."

"Trial and error is inherent in agriculture... I'm not assuming they will grow just because I plant them, but for some reason, I can only imagine success. Why is that?"

Was I always this optimistic?

"...Alright. But first, show me a sample."

"That's right. Here."

I take out a bundle of 10 cassava cuttings. Each branch is about 30 cm long.

"! Akira, what did you do?!"

Yaralai exclaimed as the goods came directly from my hands without going through the item box.

"This is my ability. It's called SHOP. It lets me buy and sell items from the area I lived in or conditionally from this world. It's a power granted by a Goddess."

I use the container, which has a power similar to the item box and works with SHOP, to exchange the bundle of branches. 

Yaralai was speechless as the branches disappeared upon touch and reappeared from my hand.

"...Apostle..."

Yaralai murmured.

Oh, here comes that chuunibyou-like name again. How embarrassing.

"No, a Gift, maybe?"

Huh? I've never heard that term before.

"What's a Gift?"

"A naturally born, special ability."

"...So, what kind of abilities are there?"

"Akira-sama, Gift bearers usually hide their abilities. We don't know for sure, but some say they can see through objects or predict the future."

"That sounds overpowered depending on how it's used."

"Yes, that's why Gift bearers are said to keep their abilities hidden at all costs."

"That's vague."

"Well, the existence of Gift bearers itself is questionable."

"Hmm. Well, that's not important right now. Anyway, it's definitely a power from the Goddess. We had a conversation, albeit one-sided."

"Apostle..."

Yaralai is lost in thought. In a fantasy world, having a god isn't that unusual.

"Oh right, Yaralai, do you know how to cultivate cassava?"

Yaralai interrupts his thoughts and takes a branch in his hand.

"No issues."

"Will it grow well in this region?"

"Drainage and flooding are the main concerns."

"Ah."

"If it rains, we need drainage canals and water channels for irrigation."

"We'll water manually, for now, focus on drainage first."

"Understood. This can't be kept a secret anymore; let's gather farmers openly."

"What about this?"

I take out a bag containing 500 corn seeds and hand it to Yaralai.

"Corn! These are good seeds."

"Do you know about them, Yaralai-sama?"

"These are robust in harsh conditions, good for consecutive planting, and delicious. But they require compost before and after planting to grow well."

"Uh..."

Cherina still seems resistant to using compost.

"You've decided to use it, haven't you?"

"...It's reflexive."

I get it.

"Hey Yaralai, what happens if we don't use compost?"

"They will still grow, but the yield will drastically decrease, and they will be thinner."

"They will grow, though?"

"On riverside soil, they'll manage. But in the wilderness, compost is necessary."

"I see... Alright, Akira-sama, we've already decided to use compost."

"Then can we distribute cassava and corn? Wait, we haven't finished the compost deal yet."

"It's okay. Such deals are easy to handle."

Cherina laughs confidently. Judging by her expression, everything should be fine.

"Okay, I'll take them out. Please stack them properly."

"Am I not helping?"

Hagg murmurs boredly.

"If you help, I'll treat you to dinner and drinks."

"Oh! Then count me in!"

Hagg rolling up his sleeves signals the start of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test