02 March 2024

No Damage 3

Test

3. Here I Am


Dragon.

Among magical beasts, it boasts the strongest power.

Its sturdy dragon scales cover its entire body, deflecting any blade.

Its breath, known as the Dragon Breath Cannon, turns everything to ashes.

Only the mightiest S-class adventurers can defeat it.

And those who slay a dragon are bestowed with the prestigious title of Dragon Slayer.

—This was the explanation from Lilith and Alice.

"I see, so basically, it means 'dragons are insanely strong', right?"

"That's a very rough understanding... but yes, essentially."

Lilith nods.

With a determined expression, she gazes at the dragon continuing to demolish the city walls.

The blast from earlier has already created a large hole in the wall, significantly weakening it.

It's only a matter of time before it completely collapses.

Though a few more blasts could easily obliterate the wall, it seems that's not something the dragon can do repeatedly. This is also hearsay from Lilith and the others.

"That thing is powerful. A force capable of annihilating an entire city. We can't match its strength."

"So, shouldn't both of you flee?"

"Even if we can't win, we want to buy time for the townsfolk to evacuate~"

Alice speaks with a softened expression.

"Is winning difficult?"

I ask her to confirm.

"If we could hit it with a magic missile, we could probably defeat it..."

Lilith sighs.

"A magic missile?"

"An item that enhances spells. Most of the magic we can use is just 'common spells,' but with this, we can boost the power to that of 'rare spells.'"

"So, if you use that—"

"It's impossible. It takes a tremendous time to charge magical energy to fire the magic missile. If we get attacked by the dragon during that time, it's over."

Lilith explains.

"Magic missiles are rare, and we only have one shot each. If we can distract the dragon, there's a chance to hit it, but..."

This time, Alice sighs.

"Attract its attention—huh."

I mentally echo her words.

"There's no way to stop the dragon's attacks. Whether it's the breath or its claws and teeth, one hit, and we're as good as dead."

Alice furrows her brows slightly and smiles.

Although she appears calm, she probably wears a troubled expression inwardly.

"Understood the situation? If we can't stop the dragon's attack, you'll die here."

Lilith's expression becomes even more severe.

"Please, just run. We don't want anyone else to die."

What does she mean?

As if their past includes an event where they couldn't protect someone...

At that moment, the city wall collapses with a loud noise.

The dragon roars as it enters the town.

It's a colossal dragon covered in jet-black scales.

Its presence exudes pressure that makes one tremble just from looking at it.

"I'll use offensive magic to hold it back, so, sis, I'll leave the follow-up to you."

Lilith informs Alice and turns toward the dragon.

The wind whips through her twin-tailed blonde hair.

"I'll try to buy some time."

"Don't do anything reckless, Lilith~"

"I'm Lilith Lafeil. I won't lose to a dragon."

With a worried expression, Alice responds to Lilith's fearless declaration.

"Over here! Thunder Bullet!"

While casting attack spells, Lilith draws the dragon's attention.

Golden spheres of light explode against the black behemoth—yet the dragon remains unfazed.

They haven't dealt any damage.

Nevertheless, Lilith continues to cast spells.

She probably doesn't expect to win.

Her goal is to buy time.

Watching her agonized expression, my heart aches too.

Why are they so dedicated to protecting our town, which has nothing to do with them?

Grrrrrrrrrr!

The dragon growls.

Although it hasn't taken damage, it seems irritated from receiving continuous attacks.

Its wide-open mouth begins to glow.

That's bad. It's preparing to unleash the Dragon Breath!

I rush forward in panic.

Lilith and Alice have no means to stop it.

In that case, it's up to me to protect them.

"I'll make it in time!"

I scream as I run.

With all my strength, I just run.

Although I was distracted earlier, I still don't know how to activate my 'absorb all damage' skill.

But there's no time to hesitate.

Black flames are released.

Lilith freezes in place.

While keeping them in my sight, I leap towards Lilith and push her down.

Clang!

Amidst the explosion, a strange sound of metal against metal rings out.

The glowing emblem from earlier reappears, deflecting the dragon's breath.

"You, that—"

Lilith, still pinned by me, murmurs in astonishment.

She probably didn't notice earlier, but this time, she must have seen my skill activation.

"You're supposed to distract it, right?"

I ask as I stand up.

Once it's come to this, I must be prepared.

Probably, my will should trigger this skill.

Please, activate it.

"You, what are you saying...?"

"You saw what just happened, right? I'll block the dragon's attacks and buy time. Meanwhile, you guys use the magic missile to defeat the dragon."

I declare.

Ah, there's no turning back now.

Truth be told, I'm anxious.

Even if they explained the 'absorb all damage' skill, there are still too many unknowns.

Can it withstand physical attacks like dragon claws, teeth, or tail, in addition to flames?

How much damage can it endure?

Is it unlimited, or are there limits to the impact it can withstand?

I don't know anything.

But there's one thing I do know.

Seeing Lilith and Alice, who have no connection to us, risking their lives to protect my town.

I can't stay silent.

"There's no other choice. Here I am."

Even as I say this, the dragon might launch its next attack.

So, without waiting for an answer, I start running.

Now, let the strategy to defeat the dragon begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test