02 March 2024

Genius 8

Test

Chapter 8. His Magic


"Herm... is that you?"

"? Yes, it's Herm. Hermes. You called me that earlier, didn't you?"

Katia looked as if she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

Herm returned her bewildered expression.

Though he truly didn't understand the situation as he said.

He simply sensed familiar magic clashes far away when he arrived at the royal capital.

He rushed over instinctively and witnessed his childhood friend Katia and her brother Chris fighting, just as he sensed.

Momentarily halted by the chaos, he witnessed Chris' Bloodline Magic, Mistle Teinn, getting directed at Katia.

Feeling it was troublesome and seeing Katia might have noticed him and sought help, he intervened.

By the way, the change in tone was because he was currently a commoner and aware of his status.

After she confirms Hermes' identity again, Katia gains confidence.

"------"

"!?"

She blushed deeply and seemed to be restraining some emotion, bowing her head.

Even Hermes, taken aback by this, thought it might have been too casual for a reunion after five years, and anyway, he tried to speak up.

"Hey... I can't believe it, but are you really Hermes?"

An impolite voice interrupted between them.

Looking in the direction of the voice, Chris's face, now noticeably displeased, was there.

"Yes, I'm Hermes. ...Should I call you 'forme brother' for now?"

"I refuse. You're no longer of the Freembleed family. You're still alive. How irritating."

Though he openly showed hostility, he soon snorted as if he couldn't care less.

"Well, it's no longer my concern... Hey, you there. Hand over the young lady next to you to me."

"Why should I, may I ask?"

"Don't play dumb! It's none of the concern of a mere commoner like you who doesn't even possess bloodline magic. Stop pretending to be a hero and hand over that sinner quietly!"

"...Sinner?"

Taking his eyes off the raging Chris for a moment, he looked at the girl next to him.

"Katia-sama. ...My former brother says such things, but..."

"It's a misunderstanding, baseless accusations. I haven't betrayed the Duke's honor."

With unwavering eyes, Katia replied.

Then, as if hesitating about something, she glanced around.

"...But what Chris says is also correct. You're no longer a noble, it's irrelevant. There's no need for you to be involved in such ugly and hopeless conflicts..."

Using the same words as Chris but with an opposite kindness, she tried to keep him away.

So Hermes said.

"Katia-sama. I owe you a great debt."

"...Huh?"

He told her one of the reasons for coming to the royal capital.

"When it was revealed I was unsuitable and confined to the dungeon. If you hadn't encouraged me, my spirit would have been broken. I wouldn't be standing here."

"Ah--"

"I want to repay the kindness you showed me when I was still a noble. Is there anything troubling you?"

Katia and Chris's arguments contradicted each other, and Hermes had no means to verify which was correct.

Therefore, Hermes decided to act according to his own will.

He didn't need to hesitate about which side to take between Chris, who treated him excessively harshly despite his revelation of being unsuitable, and Katia, who believed in him even after the revelation.

With a smile, he extended his hand.

"I was fortunate to meet a good mentor afterward. I've become quite strong, you know? I think I can handle it. For example..."

Changing his smile to a challenging one, inherited from his mentor, he looked back at Chris.

"...I'd like you to defeat that noble's son."

"Tch!!"

Angered by Hermes’ provocation, Chris gave him a death stare.

"…You’re so unfair.” 

She smiled somewhat wistfully. It was filled with a different kind of resignation from before, and an uncontainable hope for the future.

"You heroically show up at this timing, then say all that to me… I'll end up wanting to depend on you."

Then—

"…Save me, Herm."

—This time formally, she asked Hermes for help.

"It’s… probably not the best idea to defeat him, so I want you to safely take me away from here."

"A simple request… Your wish is my command."

Chris finally exploded.

"All you had to do was shut your mouth and listen to me! There must be a limit on how cocky you can be!"

He unleashed his mana in a rage.

"I don’t know how you did it. But don’t get carried away just because you blocked my attack earlier! This isn’t my full power!"

In unison with his spike in mana, four spheres of light the same size as the last one materialized behind him. Just as he said, the last light sphere was probably far from his true power.

No matter what Hermes wanted to do. He needed to cut past this magic before he could do anything.

(Now)

Hermes breathed lightly.

Hermes wasn't confident enough to boast.

At this point, he was up against a user of Bloodline Magic at the level of a duke's family, displaying their full power. He still didn't have the confidence to surpass them.

However, his mentor Rose had said, "When you lack confidence, boast even more."

It was foolish to put up insurance and prepare excuses for defeat. To boast, to block one's own escape route, and to challenge with all one's might toward one's goal. Only those who do so can receive the reward of vast experience points and definite growth.

So, let's challenge here. Now, here...

"I'll expand my magic, one more time."

He thought it was good.

One of his goals was to see many bloodline magics in the royal capital.

In that sense, this situation was ideal. A powerful bloodline magic was right in front of him, and it was fate-bound magic for him, "Mistle Teinn, the Shooter of Magic Bullets."

It was fortunate. It was a good start. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that this was the optimal condition for a battle.

In fact, he had always thought so. --If he were to see something first, it would be this magic.

After all...

His own magic was suited for such a situation.

With that awareness, after the declaration, he took a light breath.

"'Thus, the world was created. Inscribed with the infallible truth. Without distinction between heaven and earth, for the sake of the one miracle."

Everyone in the area except Hermees gasped.

Because what he said was undoubtedly an incantation. Several bars to activate one's own magic within oneself.

Hermes, who didn't possess Bloodline Magic, should not have been able to chant it.

That recognition was correct. Hermes didn't have Bloodline Magic within him, and it would never manifest in the future.

Therefore, what he was about to show was not Bloodline Magic.

It's not a divine gift bestowed by the gods, but a feat learned from his mentor and cultivated by his own efforts, the crystallization of his own efforts.

Ironically, it bore his eye color and would become his signature magic. Its name was.

"Creation Magic -- [Emerald Tablet]!"

By returning to the royal capital, his legend began.

The moment his magic, the beginning of his legend, was unveiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test