12 March 2024

Genius 10

Test

Chapter 10. Five Years Later


"I did it... I think."

"It seems so. There are no more magical reactions coming towards us."

Both sides confirm that all the pursuers, including Chris, have lost sight of them.

Finally, Katia sits down on the spot, breathing heavily.

"A-Are you okay?"

"...I'm fine... Just need a moment to catch my breath..."

As a user of bloodline magic, Katia has higher physical abilities, when compared to ordinary people.

Even so, such a full-on sprint must have been tough for a 15 years old girl.

After waiting cautiously as instructed, Katia takes a deep breath and stands up.

Finally, the two can face each other in a situation where they can talk calmly.

"...Herm, it's really you."

"Y-Yes."

Once again, Hermes calmly looks at Katia head-on.

(...She's beautiful.)

Hermes can't help but think that Katia has grown into a beautiful young lady, even as he gazes at her.

Despite the dirt from their escape, her indigo-purple hair that never loses its shine, sparkling eyes, a well-defined nose, and small yet well-shaped lips all contribute to her exquisite beauty and well-proportioned figure, almost resembling a top-class doll.

It might be rude to compare, but she would not look inferior even standing next to his mentor, Rose.

Katia, who has become such a breathtakingly beautiful girl, takes a deep breath.

"─You idiot!!"

The first words out of her mouth are a full-on scolding towards Hermes.

"Huh?"

"Not 'huh'! What were you doing for five whole years without a word? After that day, when I went to the Flembride family, you were already expelled, and no matter who I asked, no one knew where you went!"

"...I was cut off from any connections and had nowhere to go..."

Hermes tries to appease Katia by saying it is impossible to find him in that situation.

"'Nowhere to go'? Don't give me that."

Seemingly touching her nerve even more, Katia moves closer, her face inches away from his.

"I was there. Why didn't you rely on me back then!?"

She hurls the words she probably wanted to say the most directly at Hermes.

"─"

"If you had asked for help from the Trakia family, things could have been different! After that, I never knew where you went, let alone heard anything positive. Every time I asked someone, all I heard about were the fates of expelled noble children. Do you know how much I...!"

As her scolding words mix with her emotions, tears start to well up in her eyes.

(Oh.)

"How scared I was thinking you might have died, how much I regretted not doing this or that... I'm thinking about how much regret I've been carrying... I...!"

Unable to hold back anymore, large tears start to fall.

Trying to hide her expression, Katia leans her forehead against Hermes' chest.

"I'm glad you're alive... I was so worried...!"

"...I'm sorry."

Even if they went back to the day of his expulsion five years ago, Hermes probably couldn't have asked for help from her. 

He was too deep in despair to think clearly, and he didn't want to rely on the girl who believed in him and encouraged him so pitifully.

But if she was worrying about him this much.

He should have found a way to contact her somehow. Realizing this, Hermes places his hand on Katia's shoulder as she sobs against his chest.

"I forgive you for coming to see me properly... And thank you for helping me."

Her words, slightly embarrassed, echo softly in his ears.

"...So, Herm. Where are you now, and what are you doing?"

After her emotions settle down, Katia, now blushing, turns to him and asks.

"You must have some stability if you're in the capital. Where are you living? How are you making a living?"

"Huh? Uh, well..."

It seems Katia misunderstands that he's living in the capital permanently. Hermes briefly explains his recent journey and arrival in the capital.

"Huh."

Katia's surprise seems greater than he expected.

"S-So you just... arrived in the capital and haven't decided on a place to stay or a job?"

"That's correct."

"Do you have any plans?"

"I have a few ideas, but... nothing concrete yet."

Upon hearing Hermes' response, Katia's expression shifts from shock to strangely... anticipation.

"Oh, but don't worry. I have confidence in my magic, so I'm sure I'll find some job..."

"Herm!!"

"Yes!?"

Caught off guard by her sudden shout, Hermes responds loudly.

Ignoring his reaction, Katia grabs Hermes' shoulder, bringing her face even closer than before.

"Then, come to my place next time! I'll hire you!"

"...Huh!?"

With her cheeks now flushed from excitement rather than embarrassment, Katia surprises him with an unexpected proposal.

In truth, Katia's offer was like a dream come true for Hermes.

His goal is to refine his magic by witnessing various bloodline magics.

Since his magic, the "Primordial Inscription: Emerald Tablet," reproduces other magics, the benefits of encountering superior magics are immeasurable.

To achieve this goal, establishing connections with a noble family, preferably an upper-class one, would be ideal.

But initially, Hermes hesitated.

He thought she made this offer out of concern for his uncertain future, and he couldn't accept such kindness.

So, when Hermes said he would figure out his living situation, Katia.

"You're naive, Herm. The capital can be a dangerous place. Innocent kids like you can easily be caught and exploited by bad people."

"And even though you were deemed unfit and expelled from the Frembleed family, you were still well-known during your childhood. There's no guarantee some other noble won't find fault with you."

"I'm not just saying this out of sympathy. Your magic earlier was amazing. Having such a skilled user around before they get snatched up by others is strategic. So don't hesitate."

And so on, although her reasoning was sound, she delivered it in a rapid-fire manner.

"...And also."

Finally.

"I just met my childhood friend again. Isn't it natural that I want to talk more?"

With a modest tone and averted gaze, Katia's final words made Hermes decide to accept her invitation.

So, they rode a nearby carriage for a while.

They arrived at Katia's family estate—the Trakia family, located in the heart of the capital.

Although Hermes had visited a few times in his childhood, he saw it again.

"...It's huge."

His own family, the Flembride family, was prestigious with a considerable estate, but the Duke's estate had a different scale altogether.

Moreover, unlike the Flembride estate, which was vast without much thought, every corner of the Duke's estate was meticulously maintained, exuding refinement.

Observing the estate, the gates slowly opened, and someone rushed out from inside.

"Lady Kathia!"

Running towards them was a woman in her mid-twenties dressed in a maid's outfit, calling out the name of the girl beside Hermes.

"Where have you been!? We were worried because you were late, and your clothes were dirty! What happened, or rather, are you injured? And who is this boy next to you!?"

"...Leila, calm down a bit. I'll answer one thing at a time."

Katia briefly restrained Leila, who seemed busy worrying, with both hands.

"I'm sorry for being late. I got into a bit of trouble. The dirty clothes are related to that, and I'm not seriously injured. Also, he's Hermes. Hermes is from the former Frembleed family. Leila, you should have met him a few times in the past."

"Huh?"

Hermes also recalled that there was a maid who often greeted Katia when she came to play. Was it her?

"Oh, yes, I remember! Lady Kathia used to play with him often!"

Seemingly remembering at the same time, Leila clapped her hands together.

"Hermes-sama, so you're the one who was deemed unfit and expelled from the Flembride family... but you're alive!"

"!"

Hermes tensed slightly at her words.

He braced himself, expecting more harsh words as Katia had mentioned earlier, coupled with the incident where his brother Chris berated him.

"...I'm glad you're alive!"

Contrary to his expectations, Leila's face lit up with genuine relief.

"Even though you weren't suited for bloodline magic and were pushed out of the family, I was worried back then... but knowing you're alive is a relief."

From her smile and sincere words, it was clear there was no hidden agenda.

"Rest assured, Herm."

Katia smiled gently and spoke.

"Unlike the Flembride family, my family won't look down on you for past matters. Welcome to the Trakia family."

With her words, Hermes finally felt truly welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test