09 February 2024

Shop 46.1

Test

Chapter 46.1. The Stubborn One In The Wilderness


"Douro-sama requested that you inspect the quality of the charcoal,"

"So soon? It's only been two days."

"It seems that among the large quantity of prototypes, there were some with good quality."

"I see... And what about the washi paper?"

"Currently, the papermakers are in training, but they can already produce about the same quality as the samples from the other day."

"Understood. Akira-sama, I intend to go to the usual place now."

"I'll leave it to you."

I have no decision-making power. My job now is to follow when the young lady goes.

"However, I would like Yaralai-sama to wait here..."

"No."

It was Yaralai who answered.

"I will go as a guard."

"We are heading to a place dealing with the company's secrets."

"I will protect secrets."

"But..."

"Outside, danger. I must accompany."

This won't be easy.

I make that judgment and propose it to Cherina.

"Hey Cherina, I think Yaralai is the type to strictly keep secrets."

"Even if you say you think so..."

"An elf warrior keeps his promises."

"Such stubborn individuals may lack flexibility, but can they be trusted?"

It's mostly that.

"..."

"And for me, if we're going outside the walls, having Yaralai around makes me feel secure. Not that I don't trust Cherina's two guards, of course."

"I understand..."

She throws a sharp glance. Does she dislike Yaralai that much?

"Well, understood. However, we can't provide horses, nor do we intend to put you on a carriage."

"No problem, I'm fit."

With things settled somehow, we immediately started moving in a carriage. 

I thought our guards would be the usual two, but there were two more, making it four. They've multiplied.

Apparently, this is the number when going outside the walls.

Yaralai briskly followed behind the carriage in which Cherina and I were riding. I was worried if he could keep up with that pace, but he arrived at Cherina's experimental hut without being out of breath.

It's amazing, carrying such a mass of iron.

The conversation in the carriage was mainly about food. When I talked about sashimi, Cherina cringed. 

Even though there's a fishing port, don't they eat raw fish? 

I think fresh fish from an uncontaminated sea would be incredibly delicious.

If the fish is fresh enough, I'd eat sashimi alone.

"Miss, thank you for coming."

Douro, the development manager, was waiting in front of the building.

"It's no trouble. It doesn't compare to your efforts."

"If you say so, I feel relieved... And what about you?"

He stares suspiciously at Yaralai, who is dressed in a Native American elf costume. 

Yeah, a heavily armed macho guy looks suspicious.

"...He's a guard."

"Hired, right?"

Cherina glanced at me.

"He's Akira-sama's guard. His skills are reliable. After all, he's the one who defeated the wandering buffalo alone."

"A buffalo alone?"

He gives Yaralai an even more suspicious look.

"It's true."

"I'm not suspecting the young lady."

You'd want to ask who he's suspecting, but honestly, charging at a buffalo... I can understand not believing it so much.

"I'd like you to see it right away..."

Yaralai seems interested.

"...It's okay, please guide us."

Cherina's tone didn't sound completely okay.

"Understood. This way, please."

Douro goes to the charcoal kiln hidden behind a partition and shows us the row of seven charcoal braziers.

"How about it? It hardly emits smoke, and there's no flame."

I peer into the brazier. There's still some fire left, but if it's cheap charcoal in Japan, I feel like this quality might get mixed in.

"Charcoal, huh?"

Yaralai, who was standing behind us, said.

"You know about it?"

"Elves use and make charcoal."

"I've never heard of it... Aren't elves supposed to avoid fire?"

"That's superstition. They just don't waste it like those dwarf idiots. They use fire normally."

"Is that so?"

It seems Cherina didn't know either.

"Does Yaralai know how to make charcoal?"

"To some extent... There are gaps in that kiln. The one over there produces good quality."

Yaralai points to the kilns scattered around.

"Yaralai-sama, is that true?"

"Invisible gaps, spirits teach... With those wood piles, if you use them, you'll know the timing and the right amount of fire."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"If it's not an elf secret, would you teach Cherina and the others?"

"I don't mind."

Cherina and Douro exchanged glances for a moment, and then Douro immediately dragged Yaralai to the front of the kiln and started asking for detailed tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test