09 February 2024

General 7

Test

Chapter 7. Things I Wanted to Do When I Returned Home


"Special Duty Soul Academy. It's recognized in military circles and nearby areas as a school. It's a school established by the Ministry of Defense to gather individuals with the potential for soul equipment, providing education and training. Despite not being under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, it's referred to as an academy because private capital was deeply involved in its establishment. I suppose."

I had a simple breakfast of toast and instant coffee while flipping through the school pamphlet in my living room.

[So this is a school with a relatively short history, established after Master and I met, right?]

"Soul Armor has only become known to humans for less than ten years."

[Master was still young when you first used me, right? If I were to show that image of Master from back then to that female vice admiral, wouldn't she faint?]

"Don't bring up unpleasant memories..."

Come to think of it, I got asked by Hayami-san to show her the military uniform I wore when I got forcibly conscripted at 10. 

Now that her inner fetish has been exposed, I'm hesitant to give it to her since I don't know how it'll be used.

[Excuse me. Oh, we have a visitor early in the morning, Master.]

(Doorbell rings)

"Good morning. Are you awake, Yuu-kun?"

Without needing to go to the door to welcome her, Mina came to the living room, making a fuss as she opened the front door.

We've been visiting each other's homes since we were little, and Mina has been cleaning for me for years while I was away, so she knows more about the house than I do.

"Good morning, Mina."

"Hmph..."

Mina entered the living room, clutching her chest and looking uncomfortable.

"W-What's wrong?! Mina?"

"Yuu-kun in his uniform is... stimulating..."

Even though there isn't much skin exposure?

Mina is a student here, so she should be used to seeing boys' uniforms.

"I thought the same when I saw it the other day, but the girls' uniforms are cute too."

"Hmm... You're only complimenting the uniform?"

Mina puffed up her cheeks.

Didn't she give her critique of my uniform earlier?

"Because it's a military school uniform, it has a chic design, but it complements your beautiful silver hair really well."

"T-Thank you..."

Seeing Mina turn her head to the side, it seems her mood has improved.

"Well then, since I'm ready, shall we go?"

"Yeah."

I placed the breakfast plates and coffee cups in the sink and grabbed my bag.

◇◇◇◆◇◇◇

"Father-in-law. Mother-in-law. Today, the person you've been waiting for has come."

Beyond the fresh green forest...

Mina, who led the way, stopped and called out when she reached our destination.

"Ta-da! Your precious son, Yuu-kun, has returned to you safely after all these years."

With her arms wide open, Mina tried to draw attention to me standing behind her.

"What's with that introduction... Father, Mother, I'm finally back. Sorry for not coming home for so many years."

As I said this, I laid flowers at the grave and gently touched the tombstone.

On the back of the tombstone, the names and dates of death of my parents were engraved.

"Mina kept this place clean. Thank you so much."

There were no weeds around our graves, no cobwebs, and the tombstone was neatly polished.

"Once a month."

"Even with all that you do, I'll never be able to repay you, Mina."

"Well, for the rest of my life... oh, wait, we're still minors, so it's too early for marriage."

"No, it's not about that kind of gratitude."

"I only have two more years left, but you have three more years before marriage is possible... Oh, but there's a rumor that the marriageable age for people with the potential for soul equipment will be lowered to 15, so maybe..."

As always, this country only cares about trivial matters.

"I thought I would cry when I came here. But I feel more relieved than sad to have come here."

For a while, I reminisced about the days when the three of us lived happily together.

Playing dodgeball with my father in the park.

Coming home to find my mother cooking hamburgers for dinner and eagerly helping with the serving.

Watching my father and mother, who usually had a calm demeanor, playing around at a barbecue with Mina's family from a distance while playing with Mina.

Various memories come flooding back.

"Hmm..."

"Mina?"

"Hmm! Come here, Yuu-kun."

Mina, looking a bit embarrassed, but serious. She opened her arms wide as if welcoming me.

At first, I didn't quite understand what Mina wanted.

"You can cry, Yuu-kun. I'll lend you my shoulder."

"Thanks, Mina. But wait, aren't you the one crying?"

Looking at Mina's eyes with large tears, it seems like they're about to spill over any moment.

"Because... if I were to put myself in Yuu-kun's shoes at that time... being taken to an unknown place alone as a child and then being told about your parents' deaths..."

"That's right. It was quite turbulent back then."

I hand her a handkerchief as she sniffles, trying to stifle her sobs.

I don't remember which front it was, but the military notified me of my parents' deaths while I was staying at a camp.

At that time, my parents were under the protection program of the military, hidden in a military facility. 

Unfortunately, that military facility became the target of a terrorist attack, and they were killed in the crossfire.

"How turbulent was it...?"

"At that time, my Soul Armor's power was on the verge of going out of control. I caused a lot of trouble for my comrades, who literally risked their lives to stop me."

"I see... but Yuu-kun, you had people who cared about you and comforted you by your side, right?"

"And you, Mina, and many others I'll never be able to repay for your kindness."

The place that was a battlefield where death was commonplace ironically softened the tragedy of my parent's deaths. 

No, it merely covered it up with a different sadness.

"Well then, Father, Mother, I'll come back again."

Saying that, I stroke the tombstone and leave the early morning cemetery with Mina.

The top item on my list of things I wanted to do when I returned home has finally been "completed".

◇◇◇◆◇◇◇

"Wow, the academy is quite a distance from the station. And it's uphill too."

"The school building is on top of the mountain. Well, it might be tough for new students."

Mina showed a hint of being a senior while guiding me to the academy from the nearest station.

In the academy, students need to learn about soul equipment and undergo training and practical exercises.

So this place surrounded by mountains is ideal.

"Thanks for guiding me to the academy."

"It's totally fine. It's still spring break, after all. But it's quite early in the morning, isn't it?"

"Ah, yeah... I have something to do at the academy."

"I see."

"Oh, there it is. Is that the Special Duty Soul Academy?"

As we climbed the slope, a modern-looking school building appeared in the middle of the mountains.

On the spacious grounds carved out of the mountain, there were well-maintained lawns and buildings like a huge gymnasium and dojo.

"The faculty office is in that administrative building over there. Yuu-kun, are you sure you'll be okay without me?"

"I'll be fine."

"Really? If any of the teachers say something weird, tell me right away. I have some influence in the academy."

"Haha. I'll rely on you if necessary. Well then, see you later. Thanks."

"I'll be studying in the library. Let's go back together later."

"I know the way now, and I'll be fine on my own. Besides, it might be late."

"Make sure to text me!"

Pushed by Mina's forceful tone, I waved lightly and said goodbye, then entered the administrative building where the faculty office was located.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test