23 February 2024

Musou Slime 49

Test

49. Toward The Right Path


As I left the town, the scenery hadn't changed much.

The sky was clear blue, and the sun illuminated the rooftops. Everything seemed unchanged.

Yet, there were occasional signs of discord. People's faces on the streets were somber, and children, not usually seen, sat by the roadside.

I quickly understood the cause. It must be the influence of the undead monsters.

It pained my heart somehow. But, this was something I had caused.

At that moment, I realized something.

"Hmm... was there a sword in the sick room...?"

If there was a sword, it would be in the graveyard. 

If it were found missing, I would incur Irina's wrath. 

I need to find it quickly.

Passing through the open gate of the graveyard, I saw rows of tombstones ahead, with scattered people inside.

They must be the families of those turned into undead monsters. 

While the number of missing persons among the living was countable, including the deceased would result in an immense number.

"...Monk, what a coincidence."

Startled!!

The one who called out to me was Danzel-san. He was smoking, standing in front of a tombstone.

"Danzel-san. What a coincidence. Are you visiting a grave?"

"Yeah, an old friend's grave got involved in this incident..."

It must mean they became undead monsters.

The tombstone read, 'Luke Biggrave Rest in Peace'.

"...I'm sorry."

"Why apologize?"

"I feel like this incident is partially my fault. So, your friend's grave turning out like this..."

"...You're not to blame."

Danzel-san said so and exhaled smoke, looking up.

"A while ago, you had a quest from the monk, right?"

"Yes."

"The monk at that time had eyes that resembled this guy's from the past."

Saying so, he pointed at the tombstone with his cigarette.

"What kind of person was he?"

"He was a good guy. He's always thinking about how to get stronger. Trying to do the right thing. I couldn't bring myself to talk to him."

"What happened then?"

"He died. Attacked by monsters in the dungeon."

I felt like I heard something bad. I couldn't speak, just looked down.

"But, I can say this now. Monk, there's no such thing as a right thing in this world. That's why. Follow the path you believe is right."

"The path I believe is right, huh?"

"That's right. Once you've chosen that path, you bear all the responsibility. But don't be too burdened. Just keep at it."

Danzel-san was trying to encourage me in his own way. If that's the case, I can't keep making such a face.

"Thank you, Danzel-san. I'll do my best."

"Yeah. By the way, what did you come here for? Visiting a grave?"

"Ah, no, um..."

Thinking I couldn't deceive him, I told Danzel-san the situation.

He chuckled upon hearing my desperate confession.

"You've done it now! That wild horse, she'll go wild if she hears that!"

"That's true... What should I do..."

"She's unlikely to be around here. Maybe someone who was there at the time has it?"

Someone who was there at the time.

The first person that came to mind was Raize.

I should see her after all.

I bid farewell to Danzel-san and stepped out of the graveyard.

"But where could she be...?"

I advanced toward a place I remembered.

It's the restaurant where I treated Raize to a meal on the day of the incident. 

That's the only place that comes to mind.

I opened the door of the shop and peered inside.

As I surveyed the interior, a girl holding a crepe accidentally dropped it.

It was Raize.

"Arx!!"

Raize got up from her seat, didn't even glance around, ran toward me, and then jumped into my arms.

"Hey, don't just cling to me out of nowhere."

"...Shut up. I was worried. Really."

"You dropped your crepe, though. Is that okay?"

"...It's your fault, so you're treating me. Get the most expensive one."

Raize buried her face in my chest, pretending to be tough, but tears welled up.

She's really a worrier despite acting tough.

"Got it."

I patted Raize's head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test