19 February 2024

Musou Slime 46

Test

46. Determination Like A Fire


"Everyone, let's charge in!"

"Squeak squeak!!"

The slimes squeaked as they faced off against the undead monsters.

With [Courage] and cheering abilities, it seems they can fight one-on-one. But if they get surrounded, they'll surely be crushed.

Even a single blow is fatal for a slime. So, I must reduce their numbers no matter what!

However, my options against this many undead are limited.

I know that choosing that will result in serious damage to my body. 

I already know I'm already battered and bruised from being slammed against the wall.

Even so, I want to do everything I can right now!

I circulate mana throughout my body and extract it to my fingertips. 

I imagine a powerful thunderstrike and release it from my body.

In other words—unleash maximum firepower!

"Uoooohhh!!"

With both hands forward, I unleash lightning magic with all my might. Blue-white lightning bursts forth from the ground, incinerating the undead monsters.

"Gahh!!"

Intense pain courses through my entire body. I cough up blood again. 

My body just can't withstand the mana after all!

Nevertheless, I can't afford to stop now! I have to—

"You fool. Using magic like that will get you killed first."

At that moment, standing next to me with her hands down was Raize.

"I can use magic to sweep away those monsters. But I'm a little short on mana."

"Then what should I... What can I do!?"

"...Close your eyes."

As Raize instructed, I closed my eyes.

The next moment, I felt a strange sensation on my face, and I opened my eyes.

Raize had just kissed me.

"Wha—idiot! I told you not to look!!"

"What are you doing in a situation like this!?"

"I absorbed some of your mana! I can use mana more effectively than you can! Now be quiet!"

Blushing furiously, Raize turned towards the monsters.

With her right hand forward, countless red magic circles appeared around her body.

"Scorching flames that incinerate all! O spirit of flames that constantly flickers and illuminates life! Grant me the power to vanquish evil now!!"

Along with her incantation, the magic circles gradually expanded, sparks flying around.

What firepower. Just being nearby makes my skin tingle.

As Raize mentioned, there are two ways to increase the power of magic.

One is to refine the spell formula over time. And the other is to chant.

Right now, while the slimes bought time, Raize is incorporating mana into the spell formula. Plus, this incantation.

"<Hellfire Prominence>!!"

As Raize shouted the magic name, pillars of flame erupted from the magic circles.

The flames writhed in the air, quickly transforming.

They looked like dragons. Six fiery dragons, incinerating the undead monsters!

"Ugaaaah!!"

The undead monsters got engulfed in flames. Simultaneously, there was a blast and heatwave.

"Uwaaaaaaa!!"

The shock reached even Dan, who was trying to flee from the graveyard. Dan rolled on the ground, crawling.

"Now, Arx!"

"Got it!"

Not a single undead monster remained. Before I knew it, even the giant skeleton had vanished.

I straddled Dan.

"Hii, h-hiii!! Please, have mercy!!"

"Silence!!"

I punched Dan in the face. The sensation of bones colliding with bones transmitted through my hand.

"Gh, <Ghost Hand>!!"

"I've seen through that!"

Quickly drawing my sword, I repelled the attack from the skeletal arm.

It was as weak and slow as the skeleton from earlier, to the point of I doubted if it was the same one.

After confirming the disappearance of the skeletal hand, I struck Dan's face three times with my fist.

"Aaaahhhhh!!"

"Don't move. If you make any more trouble, I'll have to hurt you more."

"I-I-I-I-I... why would you do such cruel things..."

Cruel things?

Turning people into undead monsters, attacking the town, trying to kill Raize, and you call me cruel?

"Don't play dumb!!"

I thrust my sword beside Dan's face. Dan screamed like a chicken, struggling.

"Sorry! I apologize for attacking the people in town and defying you guys!! So please, just stop killing me!!"

"I've seen through your tricks!"

"In exchange for gaining skills, if I die again, I'll wander in nothingness forever!! I absolutely don't want that!!"

Judging from Dan's fear, it must be true.

Is this how desperately humans beg for their lives? I was impressed.

"Hey, Arx!? From the moment you joined the party, you were a 'good guy', right!? I know! You did your best as the watchdog, never complaining, always doing your job properly. That's the kind of person you are!!"

I lightly used lightning magic on Dan's neck. When the electric current ran through him, Dan's body twitched.

"Aaaahhh!!"

Even I didn't want to do something like this if I could help it.

While thinking that deep down, I locked eyes with Dan.

"...I appreciate it. You gave me the opportunity to become stronger. A strong motivation like revenge."

"Appreciate...?"

"That day, when you attacked me, I decided I would someday get back at you. That was enough for me, I thought. That was my reason for getting stronger."

"W-what are you saying...?"

Dan asked, trembling, unable to understand.

"But then, I realized. When you die, I lose the reason for me to become stronger."

"S-so, you shouldn't kill me even more! If you lose me, you'll lose your goal to live again!!"

"...No. I understand now. I want to become someone who can protect my comrades. I want to become the strongest adventurer who never lets anyone slip through. That's why, because you hurt my comrades, I'll kill you here."

Dan's face turned pale. He understood he was going to die.

"I don't want to... I don't want to die!! It was just a moment of weakness!! I never meant to kill Raize or the townspeople!! I lied about wanting to torment them!!"

"Is your conscience hurting?"

"Y-yeah! I didn't want to do this, but I prioritized my own interests... I regret it..."

"...I see."

Dan sobbed uncontrollably. His tears soaked the ground of the graveyard as he lay on his back.

I don't feel any guilt or remorse for killing you, Dan.

"W-what!?"

A while ago, I might have hesitated to kill Dan.

But not anymore. I choose to kill Dan to protect what's important to me.

"Disappear from this world!! Dan!!"

"I-I don't want to dieeeeeeeee!!"

I thrust my sword into Dan's chest, ending his life in one go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test