26 February 2024

General 19

Test

Chapter 19. Tsundere Model Student, Hinoura-san's Pride Is In Tatters


Mid-April arrives, and finally, the time to get used to the new life has come.

Classes have started in earnest.

In particular, this time it's the first practical class for Soul Armor.

Though lectures are one thing, Soul Armor is still a young field, having just passed its infancy, a discipline and technology with a shallow history.

Therefore, due to a chronic shortage of qualified personnel, Soul Armor practicals are conducted jointly with multiple classes.

My class, 1-A, is combined with B and C classes.

It's worth noting that the ABC class divisions aren't based on academic ranking.

"Now, let's announce the pairs for the practical. I'll distribute the list now, so gather with your partners."

I found my name on the list distributed by the instructor for the practical, and seeing the name of the person paired with me, I felt relieved as it was someone I already knew.

"Nice to meet you, Hinoura-san."

When I addressed Hinoura-san, who became my partner, she raised her hand and asked the instructor, ignoring me.

"Sensei, may I ask a question?"

"What is it, Hinoura?"

"On what basis were these pairs decided?"

"The criteria for pairing are confidential. Even if you're dissatisfied, pairs generally remain unchanged for a year."

With a visibly discontented expression, Hinoura-san's question was preempted by the sensei, who responded in a manner that suggested there was no room for argument.

"Sigh..."

Hinoura-san let out a heavy sigh.

Those around her sent sympathetic glances toward her.

"Wait, am I, like, being disliked or something?"

"You really have no self-awareness. You're quite the congratulatory fool, aren't you?"

Hinoura-san's words, which were like rubbing salt into my already wounded heart, dealt a further blow.

"Why?! What did I do?!"

"You beat up and enslaved the leading students of the 2nd year right after enrolling, and even took over the club room from the Student Council in a duel. The leader of the 2nd year is already brainwashed."

Listing what I had done since enrolling, it was clear that I was a terribly arrogant and unpleasant person.

"It's not like I meant to do that to Mina..."

"Thanks to you, the upperclassmen are generally harsher on the freshmen this year, as President Domon said."

"............"

No wonder I haven't had any classmates approaching me.

Everyone avoids getting close to me to avoid catching the attention of the upperclassmen.

Uh-oh, I feel like crying.

"So, as a member of the Student Council, I've been entrusted with your care."

"Sorry about that..."

Feeling deflated, I apologized weakly to Hinoura-san.

I have to accept that being paired with someone who is so despised is just something I have to endure without bursting into tears.

"It's fine. Besides, I was curious about you."

"Curious about me?"

"Leaving aside your personality, I'm interested in your Soul Armor abilities and combat sense."

My personality isn't necessarily flawed!

I've just been through battlefields since I was a kid, so my sense of normalcy might be twisted.

"If you hang out with me, you might be treated like a comrade."

"That's why I acted like I didn't want to team up with you earlier. I have to show everyone that I'm reluctantly teaming up with you."

"But my likability remains low."

"Don't sweat the small stuff."

Saying that, Hinoura-san walked briskly toward the entrance of the practical training forest.

◇◇◇◆◇◇◇

"Since it's the first time, we'll pair up and explore the practical training forest. It's like orienteering, huh."

Hinoura-san and I relied on the terrain map we were given to navigate through the practical training forest.

It seems Hinoura-san and I are the first pair to start, with the following pairs starting at intervals.

"Hey, since it's just the two of us, there's something I want to ask."

"...What?"

Upon Hinoura-san's words, I felt a bit... no, quite cautious.

Lately, whenever I'm alone with a woman, it's been a pattern that they reveal some unsavory tendencies, so I instinctively became guarded.

"I won't lose next time."

"...Huh?"

I got taken aback by the unexpected response.

"I lost last time due to my own inexperience. I was overconfident in my Soul Armor abilities and fell for your tactics."

"That duel got influenced by various factors."

"If I die so easily in battle, it's useless."

It seemed that Hinoura-san had squarely faced her defeat in our previous duel.

"Hinoura-san, did you intend to pursue a military career."

"My Soul Armor abilities are suited for the military. After graduating from this academy, I plan to enter the military academy and establish myself as a military member. But if I involve my subordinates due to my own misjudgment, I won't be able to forgive myself even in death. So this time..."

"Wait, why are you crying?"

"Uh... I just thought you were such a good person..."

That's right.

I've been seeking this kind of passionate clash of youth!

Due to the uniqueness of this academy, I've been forgetting lately, but I also want to experience an ordinary school life.

Rival classmates who compete with each other based on their grades, and openly declaring it.

That's amazing!

"W-what... is this, a tactic to catch me off guard by appealing to my emotions?"

Hinoura-san, flustered, openly expressed her wariness towards me.

"No, these feelings are genuine. I'll support you with all my might, Hinoura-san. So, do your best!"

Overwhelmed with emotion, I grabbed both of Hinoura-san's hands, shook them vigorously, and encouraged her.

If young people like her can do their best, they might change the current situation in this country.

Although we're the same age, I already have the mindset of a worn-out veteran, so Hinoura-san, burning with ideals I no longer possess, appeared dazzling to me.

"L-let go... you idiot!"

With a bright red face, Hinoura-san pushed my chest with both hands and walked briskly, speeding ahead.

"No, I can't leave you alone."

I instantly closed the distance and hugged Hinoura-san tightly from behind.

"W-what?! W-what are you...!"

Startled by suddenly being embraced from behind, Hinoura-san let out a startled voice and tried to struggle, but I held her firmly from behind.

Since I was clinging to her from behind, I couldn't see Hinoura-san's expression, but she must be surprised.

I leaned close to Hinoura-san's ear from behind.

"Hmm..."

As my breath touched her ear, Hinoura-san trembled slightly.

Since Hinoura-san's resistance weakened, I saw an opportunity and whispered gently into her ear, a voice that only she could hear.

"There's a trap buried in the ground ten meters ahead. It's a spring trap type, where wires shoot out from the ground when stepped on and entangle your legs."

"Eh...?"

With a flushed face, Hinoura-san looked up at me, not fully understanding what I meant.

"What, just to deepen our friendship through orienteering? The sensei are quite mean, huh."

The location where the spring trap was buried was fairly well camouflaged.

New recruits probably wouldn't be able to detect the trap and would end up caught in it.

"W-where's the trap?"

Even though I told her, Hinoura-san seemed unable to understand where the trap got buried.

"Between the bushes ahead. It's an easy-to-pass spot on the path, so everyone will pass through here and get caught without fail."

"W-what should we do..."

"Placing traps like this is to immobilize them on the spot. The wires aren't strong. So they can be easily cut with equipment like a knife or dagger. But a few seconds of paralysis in that spot can be fatal when it comes to exchanging blows. And then, the enemy..."

"T-they're lurking nearby?"

"Correct. Well then, let's surprise the instructors. Hinoura-san, can you generate a non-lethal gas that paralyzes the opponent for a certain period of time?"

"Y-yes."

"Then go ahead. The range is a radius of five meters from where the trap is. The height is about three meters."

"Got it. Activating Soul Armor ability."

As Hinoura-san moved away from me, a yellow gas began to generate.

"Wait! I surrender!"

Saying that, a female soldier in combat gear emerged from hiding with her hands raised.

"Who's there?!"

"Since there are still students who will pass through here, we don't want anyone causing a ruckus around the trap area."

"Who's there?!"

"Instructor in charge of 1-A, Soul Armor Academy, Lieutenant Hayami."

"Good job!"

As I saluted, Lieutenant Hayami returned the salute.

Although my rank is higher, for now, during training, I'm just a student, so I saluted first.

"You've shown insight in detecting traps and compliance with instructions. Perfect score. As expected of the top student and celebrity pair of the 1st year."

Smiling gently, Lieutenant Hayami, acting like a lovely older sister sensei, gave her evaluation.

"N-no... I..."

"Excuse me! Lieutenant Hayami!"

As Hinoura-san started to speak, I overlapped her words and replied loudly.

"Alright, you may proceed. The goal lies ahead."

It's probably because other students are waiting.

Prompted by Lieutenant Hayami, Hinoura-san and I followed the instructed route.

Hinoura-san walked silently ahead towards the goal.

Her shoulders trembled slightly, probably due to her feeling powerless and frustrated for not being able to do anything.

That frustration will be the driving force for her future growth.

Do your best, Hinoura-san.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test