26 January 2024

Shop 38.2

Test

Chapter 38.2. Chains In The Wilderness


And finally, the sound of a dying scream and the falling noise continued. The reason it was just the sound was that I had been keeping my eyes shut tightly, hugging Cherina with all my strength.

And then.

"Akira-sama... um... it's about time..."

Cherina whispered softly in my ear.

"Young lady! Are you injured?!"

Melvin's voice came down from above my head.

That's when I finally understood that we had been saved.

As the strength drained from my body, Melvin peeled Cherina and me apart and checked if she was injured.

"Phew... I let my guard down."

"Young lady! It chilled my liver! Despite my repeated warnings to refrain from recklessness..."

"I apologize. However, as you can see, I am unharmed. Thanks to Akira-sama."

Melvin, who was about to get up, looked down at me. His expression was quite complex.

When I glanced sideways, I saw a corpse soaking the dry ground with dark red blood. I averted my gaze and stood up. Melvin efficiently subdued the other surviving bandit.

The remaining bandits, realizing this, hastily fled. One of the guards caught a bandit who had fallen with a shoulder injury and returned. 

The other one was on horseback, keeping a watchful eye on the surroundings. It seemed they had no intention of pursuing further.

"I'm sorry, young lady! Are you injured?!"

"Do you really think someone like me would be done in by these people?"

"N-no, young lady, I know of your skills, but it's dangerous, and I've warned you many times..."

"There's no problem."

"Well, yes, I failed to notice the diversion of the enemy. I'll accept any punishment for that mistake."

"We'll consider it offset by your live-capturing heroics. Be encouraged."

"Thank you!"

As the guard bowed, the one who had been on horseback returned.

"Young lady, we can proceed now. The city walls are visible, so let's hurry through the gate."

The two efficiently bound the two captured bandits and placed them on horses, while the guards held the reins and ran.

"Let's hurry."

"Understood."

When Cherina and I got on the carriage, Melvin urged the horse forward. 

The bumpy and jolting road made it challenging, but we quickly entered the city.

Finally exhaling a sigh of relief, Cherina chuckled.

"That's just an everyday occurrence for you, Akira-sama."

"Really?"

"Indeed."

She answered with a charming smile.

However...

The red chain wrapped around her chest in a cross shape entered my field of vision.

Terrifying. Women are truly terrifying creatures.

I came to that realization once again.

Having safely arrived at the trading company, I entrusted Cherina to the people inside. I also advised her to restrain herself several times.

I was surprised that Cherina could fight, but there was no need to push herself. Inside the trading company, there were many strong employees. So nothing would happen to Cherina.

Regaining my composure, I decided to return to the inn.

The trading company and the inn were relatively close, so there was no need to go through the main street every time. 

Passing through narrow alleys would lead directly to the inn. Usually, many people were passing by at this time, but today, there was no one.

Empty alleys remind me of my childhood.

While thinking about such trivial things, something happened.

Two unpleasant-looking individuals stood in front of me.

Their eyes were unusually sharp.

This is? It feels dangerous. The pressure from them is much greater than the bandits who attacked earlier. My brain's alarm bells were ringing at full force.

I can't stop at times like this. I immediately turned around to run. But it was already too late. Another pair blocked the way.

It was only now that I clearly understood that I was the target.

I had been passing through here for the past few days, even though it was an alley. There was no way people wouldn't be passing through at this time. Why didn't I notice it earlier? This is not a safe and secure Japan! Another thing to consider is why I, specifically, was targeted.

The most likely reason would be my attire. A white shirt with neatly fitted trousers. Plus, I was wearing expensive glasses.

Judging by appearance alone, it was enough to determine that I probably had money. Another reason could be that they witnessed me coming out of the Veliero Trading Company. If I was negotiating with Veliero, it wouldn't be strange for them to assume I had money.

"Ah... do you need something?"

I tried to make a natural smile, but I failed. Even I could tell that my smile got twisted.

Their response was to pull out sharp knives from their pockets. It was an act that left no room for discussion.

"Okay! I'll give you the money! Just wait a moment!"

Money is more important than life!

Fortunately, even if I got stripped of everything here, I had already paid for the inn and could receive money for being Cherina's consultant. Although, I hadn't discussed the consultation fee at all. I had planned to buy some items from the shop as part of the loan. 

There was also the matter of the Potato King. Even if I became penniless here, it wouldn't be a big deal. So, I decided without hesitation to hand over the money.

I reached into the sack hanging from my waist and scattered about 20 gold coins on the ground. It wasn't because I was stingy; it was just that was all I could grab with one hand.

I scattered it to take advantage of the moment when they picked it up to make my escape.

However...

The man ignored the gold coins and rushed towards me in a low posture.

The blade of the knife, glinting dully, approached my body oddly slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test