24 January 2024

Shop 37.3

Test

Chapter 37.3. The Bodyguard In The Wilderness! (Note: The exclamation mark is crucial!)


"Let's test the charcoal. It's best to confirm it in the same environment, so I've prepared hibachis. We'll check the combustion with the same amount of charcoal."

"Understood. Let's do it outside."

Dauro directed his words to me for the first part and to Chernina for the latter, and then they both went outside.

Outside, another senior artisan, following instructions, lined up the hibachis and set up the charcoal for each type. Their efficiency was quite impressive. Is this the skill of a senior artisan?

The results were not very satisfying.

Most of the charcoals were emitting smoke and had large flames. This wasn't what I was looking for.

I asked Dauro to aim for charcoals that don't emit smoke and have smaller flames.

"Charcoal seems to take time."

"No, it's just that the washi is progressing too smoothly. Making prototype charcoals is already impressive enough."

While on the way back in the carriage, Chernina and I were having a conversation. Melvin is the coachman, and there are two armed guards on horseback accompanying us.

"The use of washi opens up a lot of possibilities."

"Paper is the foundation of culture. It can also be a weapon to control information."

"...What do you mean?"

"Do you know about woodblock printing?"

"Woodblock printing... I haven't heard of it."

"In simple terms, you write text on a wooden block, carve it, apply ink, and transfer it onto washi. There are detailed processes like reversal processing, but essentially, it's a technique to print the same text or pattern on a large number of papers. A technology to write without using hands."

"...A large number?"

It seems like she doesn't quite get it.

"Well, if the production of washi goes smoothly, it might be worth reaching into that area."

Considering the literacy rate, who knows how useful it can be? 

I'd like them to use it to increase literacy. But before that, it's unlikely to happen within a month.

"No, forget what I said."

"Then, please don't say things that make me curious."

Chernina pouted a bit, seeming a bit childish.

It might just be my imagination, but I can't help but wonder if these childish gestures are her true nature and if she, like me, is restraining herself and living by using polite language.

No, even if that were the case, given her position, she has no choice but to become an adult. 

She's carrying the burden of a huge trading company. There's no way she can remain a child.

Somehow, I feel like she should lighten her load a bit more. That's not like me. Yeah.

Women are terrifying creatures. 

Reconfirmed. Don't be deceived, me. 

They'll betray you if you believe them. They'll definitely betray you. Alright. I won't be deceived by appearances.

I cross my legs and gaze outside. Although it's not a glass window, it's a wooden sliding door. When I try to open it, I accidentally make eye contact with one of the guards holding a spear, so I quickly close it.

Please don't glare at me with such scary eyes.

I realized this later, but apparently, riding in the same carriage as the young lady Chernina has significantly increased the hatred of the people around. I didn't know, so it can't be helped! Moreover, if they want Chernina to stop, they should talk to her directly!

I want to go home quickly.

Clang!

The carriage shakes conspicuously and comes to a sudden stop. The horses neigh.

"Kyaa!"

Chernina loses her balance and bumps into me, so I quickly hold her.

"What's happening?! What's going on?!"

When I peek through the wooden window of the carriage, I see one of the guards holding a spear.

I try to open the door to go outside, but immediately, another guard shouts, "Hey, idiot! Don't come out!" I get scolded.

"Hey! What happened?!"

"Don't worry, it's just highway robbers! Don't get out of the carriage! Protect the young lady!"

One guard dismounts and readies his spear. The other one, still on horseback, surveys the surroundings thoroughly. They're professionals. Even if I go outside, I'll get in the way. I decide to wait inside the carriage quietly.

"Chernina, I don't know what will happen, so just hold on tight."

"Yes."

I wanted her to hold onto the handrail of the carriage, but she clings to me.

It's too late to shake her off now, so I decided to support her. If Melvin sees this, I'll probably get a scolding, but when I glance through the small window, Melvin, on the coachman's stand, is not concerned about that and is ready to run at full speed.

Once again, I peek through the door's window. Finally, I can see the group confronting the guards.

It's not certain, but there seem to be about 6 people. They look unkempt, dirty, and definitely not decent.

"Could they be from the slums?"

"The slums?"

"Yes. It's widespread around the southeast city wall where it meets the River Liberi. That area has poor drainage and poor hygiene, so normal people don't approach it much."

I've never been to the depths of the slums, but I've stepped into the border area between residential and slum areas before.

There's actually a church nearby. I don't know the circumstances of why they had to build it there, but I was a bit worried about that priest. 

She's pretty. Or maybe there are no people in this world who would make a move on a nun?

If we go deep into the slums, there's probably a bunch of guys like these.

"The city gate closes at night, but there are ways to bypass it along the river from the slums, so there are many criminals."

"Does that somewhat constitute illegal immigration?"

"I don't think there was a clear law about it, but it probably didn't go that far..."

They probably don't have a clear law because they physically block people. 

Rather than that, what's happening outside?

The fight had already begun.

Damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test