24 January 2024

Shop 37.2

Test

Chapter 37.2. The Bodyguard In The Wilderness! (Note: The exclamation mark is crucial!)


"That's wonderful. Let's aim for productization in 10 days. We'll sell it at 300 yen per sheet. It's still much cheaper than parchment paper, after all."

"Understood. I'd like to increase the number of papermaking artisans, but what should we do?"

"To make paper, you flatten the muddy material on a screen, if I remember correctly."

"Yes, keeping the process of making that material a secret should allow us to increase the number of papermaking artisans without any issues."

"Got it. Initially, gather those interested in becoming artisans from the company's apprentices. If we don't have enough, you two figure it out."

"Understood."

"Excuse me, can I interrupt for a moment?"

It's a bit rude to interrupt when they are almost finished, but as the advisor, I have a job to do.

"...Miss, I've been thinking about this for a while, but what is this thing?"

"Didn't I explain that it's a prototype last time?"

"..."

He doesn't seem satisfied.

"Well, young man, do you have a problem?"

"Um, yes. It's a prototype, but I'd like you to make several types with different directions."

"Huh?"

"One is something similar to this paper. It's still coarse and thick, but I'd like it to be even more durable, water-resistant, and with finer texture at this thickness."

"Water-resistant?"

"Have you tried it? Washi is quite water-resistant. And the other is thin, with a fine texture, preferably white."

"Hmm..."

"The thinner one is ideal for documents. The thicker one has a wide range of uses. If you make it fireproof, surrounding a candle with washi creates a gentle light. It can also be used as a makeshift divider. It's a bit of a digression, but using paper at the end of using the toilet is also an option."

Well, I use pocket tissues. Since the toilet is not flushable, I use it without hesitation.

Dauro remained silent with his arms crossed.

"...If that's how you're going to use it, it needs to be quite soft."

"If we can create a soft-feeling paper, it can also be used for nose blowing."

"We haven't tried that yet, but this washi burns, right?"

"Yes, the thin one burns well. Therefore, it's strictly prohibited to use near an open flame. It should get mentioned in the full book."

"Ah, I remember it well. It's being made in the farthest place from the charcoal hut."

Good. I was a bit worried because it's still an unfamiliar item.

"I see..."

Dauro mumbled with his arms crossed.

"I thought it was brought by the young lady from a distant place as a commodity, but... it was you?"

He gave me a sharp look. Is he angry?

"Well, you see..."

"I said there's no need for inquiries, but... yes. It was Akira-sama who brought that to our trading company."

Why say it now?

Well, I can't really hide it. I was a bit scared because it's still an unknown item.

"Uh, I just happened to get it from a distant place. I didn't understand half of the content myself."

I tried to play it off. Indeed, I didn't understand much of the latter half of the full book.

"Hmm. Well then, Miss, let's look at the charcoal."

"Understood."

We went outside and moved to another location.

A kiln was built, surrounded by cheap-looking Venia-style screens. It was emitting smoke as of now.

"We're still trying various things. We've been working every day, increasing the kilns, so the efficiency of the experiments is improving day by day."

Upon closer inspection, there were several enclosures a bit away, and there were several places emitting smoke. Each of them had an armed person standing guard.

"You're thorough."

"Of course, Akira-sama. Rats tend to sneak in when you least expect it. Technology is power. Originally, there shouldn't be anyone like Akira-sama who passes on technology to others."

Am I like a fake? If you think of it as proprietary technology, it's a foolish act of a bureaucrat lacking crisis management. Thinking that way, am I just an idiot?

"Miss, there are some finished products. This way."

This time, we got guided to a considerably smaller hut than before.

Several pieces of charcoal were lined up on the table.

"The first few failed because air got into the kiln. After that, I made them while comparing the burning time and size of the wood in the additional kilns. These are the results, but it's unclear which ones are good and which ones are bad."

Some look like failures, and some look good.

"Well, it's said, it takes about 10 years to make high-quality charcoal. For now, it's enough to aim for a level that meets the requirements. Basically, the quality of charcoal can be determined by burning it. You can judge it as good charcoal if there's no smoke when burning."

I don't know much about it. 

But I heard that if it's high-quality charcoal, there's no smoke, flame, or smell.

What I wanted was that kind of charcoal, so it's fine to aim for that.

"It would be nice to have some hibachi."

"What's that?"

Chernina latched onto the word that slipped out.

"Oh, that's, um..."

Please stop looking up at me with shining eyes. Don't get closer, and don't let me see your cleavage, Miss.

"Well... oh, I might have put it away."

Hibachi = 3,840 yen

I have to compare them, so let's take out about 10.

I secretly whispered to Chernina.

(I'll collect the money later.)

She nodded, so I lined up about 10 hibachis.

"That's quite a large-capacity bag."

Damn, I didn't even consider that.

"It's a family heirloom."

"You managed to bring it out quite well."

The more I talk, the more I feel like I'm being suspected as an old man.

"...I just happened to sneak it out from my parents' house."

"Hmm."

Now, I feel like my credibility as a merchant has been lost. Was I always this bad at lying? I need to regain my composure and remember the Black Era.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test