18 January 2024

Shop 32.2

Test

Chapter 32.2. Skilled Female President In The Wilderness (With Glasses)


"Akira-sama, I'm sure you'll enjoy the next one."

After lunch, I called Dauro to instruct him on charcoal production, and this conversation took place after some merchants got replaced. 

Cherina, with her red eyes, peeks at me.

Melvin, Cherina's close aide, brought a middle-aged man named Halogen from the optician shop. He still looks like a butler.

"Excuse me, Cherina-ojousama, Akira-sama."

"Thank you for your hard work. Now, please show us."

There are currently four people in the room: me, Cherina, Melvin, and Halogen.

"We've created two types first, and both are functioning without issues."

He took out two optical devices from a high-end-looking bag.

Perhaps imitating the cards I showed earlier, one side has a complex and dignified pattern. 

When flipped, it has the decorative characters 'illumination'. 

Below that is engraved 'Veliero Trading Company' and the text 'Prototype 7'.

That's good.

But...

"This won't do."

I immediately pointed out the issue.

"Is it too thick after all?"

Yes, it's too thick to be called a card, and it was already small in size. Since the material is wood, it's also hard and uncomfortable to hold.

"Weren't you planning on making it thinner?"

"I apologize. While it was possible to make the wood thinner, it was discovered that it would crack. It lacks flexibility."

Oh. I was looking forward to this. Disappointed, I'm making my feelings clear.

Cherina activates the illumination and nods.

"I think this is not bad either. However, in terms of portability, it differs from the initial plan. Nevertheless, it meets the conditions of being easy for oneself to understand and difficult for others to comprehend."

Cherina and Halogen then started discussing the cost and production pace, so I decided to ponder on my own.

The optical device is as thick as twice a smartphone.

I activate the illumination too.

There are six metal candle holders on the wall in the room. One of them already has Cherina's light lit.

The optical device's illumination effect is to make the touched metal glow for a certain period.

I'll do the same since Cherina touched the optical device to the candle holder earlier.

The light she lit is not very bright. Maybe she made it dim since there's already a candle lit.

Thinking that this room without windows is quite dark for work, I touch the optical device to the metal, imagining the light of a fluorescent lamp.

As expected, the room gets illuminated by a pure white light.

Yeah. This should make work easier even in this room without windows.

I turn around to go back to my seat and notice that the 3 are staring at me.

"W-What is it?"

"Akira...sama?"

"Is it too bright? Should I dim it a bit? Halogen, can this be adjusted in terms of brightness? And please tell me how to turn it off."

While the first half of my words was a bit shaky, I tried to fix it in the latter half.

But Halogen's expression remains frozen. I seem to have lost my manners.

"What did you do? Akira-sama."

Cherina's tone is stern.

"No matter what you say, if there's a problem, could you please inform me?"

Even if I'm being ridiculed for my choice of words.

"Why can you emit such a strong light?"

Why? I just imagined a fluorescent lamp, like during cleaning. 

Since the room resembled a warm-colored cafĂ© with candles already lit, I tried to make it bright like a fluorescent light. 

Maybe they dislike white light.

"I just imagined it. A fluorescent lamp. I just imagined it as white and bright."

The three exchanged glances.

Oh, this might be the pattern where I messed up something. Or it's when I'm unfairly blamed for something.

"Young lady... what is this..."

Cherina's expression is stern.

"I understand. Please keep this matter confidential. I will handle the confirmation."

"Understood."

"However, Miss Cherina, it's dangerous..."

"Melvin, I appreciate your concern. However, I will take responsibility for this matter. Is that clear?"

"...Understood."

"Now, Akira-sama."

Her voice is somewhat frightening.

"W-What is it?"

"We will discuss this matter in detail later. For now, let's proceed with our original topic."

"Y-Yes."

I don't really understand, but I'll just respond for now. The atmosphere doesn't allow for denial. 

If I do, I might get devoured by this red tiger.

Switching gears, Halogen and Cherina returned to the topic of the optical device.

I wiped the sweat off my forehead with a handkerchief, trying to play it off.

...?

Something caught my attention in the corner of my mind.

A handkerchief.

Soft.

Cloth...?

Soft paper?

"...Washi paper!"

I unintentionally shouted.

"W-What's wrong this time?"

"Oh, sorry. Look, instead of using wood chips, can't we make it with washi paper?"

"Eh?"

"You know, stack several sheets together and glue them. It's too soft if it's just washi paper, but if glue is sandwiched in multiple layers, it might have both the strength of plastic. Oh, it could be moderately firm and moderately soft, right?"

"Oh!"

Moreover, if it's washi paper, it should be resistant to water. Depending on the compatibility with glue, it might be more durable than wood.

"Me...?"

"Oh, when I say washi paper... Sorry, by washi paper, I mean, think of it as thin sheepskin paper."

"Washi paper? Sheepskin paper?"

A question mark floats over Halogen's head, but Cherina comes to the rescue.

"I will bring you a prototype in the near future. Until then, please consider thinning this wooden one."

"Understood."

Relieved by the constructive suggestion, he bows politely.

"Well then, discussing costs and deadlines at this point doesn't make much sense. Let's conclude today's meeting here."

With a crane's voice, the meeting came to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test