18 January 2024

Shop 32.1

Test

Chapter 32.1. Skilled Female President In The Wilderness (With Glasses)


For a while, I had nothing to do.

Cherina swiftly gave instructions on various matters related to the cases coming into the company. I just watched from behind, silently. 

It's not just because I don't know the details.

She handles them so skillfully that there's no room for me to intervene.

I was finally freed from the blatant stares of the employees, asking, "Why are you here?" around lunchtime.

Now, Cherina and I are having lunch alone in a small room in the company.

"You're amazing. Truly a female president."

"A president...?"

Oops, the mysterious translation glitched.

"I mean, you're quite capable."

"It's just that my brain is excellent."

Did her face turn a bit red?

Maybe it's just my imagination; her whole body is red.

"Well, there's something I want to talk to you about while we're alone."

"Yes?"

"Setting aside the detailed report on Washi paper production, how prevalent is charcoal in this city... the kingdom?"

"Charcoal?"

She tilts her head in a slightly cute manner.

No, don't be fooled. This is how women break men.

"Wood charcoal. Do you know about it?"

"It's different from coal, right?"

"Yeah, it's different. So, it seems like you don't know about it, which means it's probably minor in this region that even Cherina, with broad knowledge, isn't aware of."

The latter part is just a soliloquy.

"Does the name 'wood charcoal' imply that it's made from wood?"

"That's right. I asked the people at the inn about the price of firewood this morning, and it doesn't seem to be that expensive. I thought it would be more expensive in the wilderness."

"Well, in the upstream of the River Liberli, large trees are abundant, and they can unload large amounts of lumber on rafts. They say that to prevent wastage since this kingdom is beyond, they supply it relatively cheaply. Well, we can't be sure about the reliability of a merchant's testimony. But at least in this country, it's more accessible than food. Construction materials are a different story, though."

"That's enough information. Look at this."

What I took out was:

-Charcoal Production Manual = 113,000 Yen-

The cause of my significant decrease in funds this morning.

It looks almost the same as the Washi paper manual. But it's about 20% thinner.

"May I take a look?"

"I'd be troubled if you said you didn't want to read it."

Her red eyes quickly move from left to right. As always, she reads fast. After skimming it twice, she let out a deep breath.

"Does this mean you can make the same thing as coal using this?"

"No, it's different. I need to make and test it to be sure. If someone could lend me 2-3 craftsmen, I read yesterday that I could make it quickly with the materials. If we make three charcoal kilns and try different lengths, we should be able to produce at least the minimum amount of charcoal soon. If we take turns watching for about three days..."

I was planning to explain the procedure, but she interrupted me with a single hand.

"There's no need for that. I'll have the members from yesterday do it."

"No, they're probably busy right now."

"They are craftsmen and executives. This is natural for them."

Oh no! This company is blacker than I thought!

Or is everyone in this world at this level?

"Um. The importance of paper is high, but..."

"I understand. However, both are confidential projects, so increasing the number of people who know is against our confidentiality policy."

"That's true."

There was anxiety, but I had lightly thought that if I took care of the charcoal shed myself, it would be fine. 

She's making a valid point.

"Alright, I'll leave the arrangements to you."

"Yes. I'll call Dauro later. There's no need to gather everyone again; it shouldn't be necessary."

I see. The reason why they gathered all the craftsmen last time was to emphasize the secrecy. 

It would be enough to call only the representative Dauro this time, and I was a bit skeptical about it.

"If you can make charcoal according to this book, there shouldn't be a problem with creating a sample. However, I can't quite imagine the convenience of charcoal."

"It's difficult to explain verbally. Cherina, you probably think it's better to sell firewood than to go through all this trouble, right? But if we can mass-produce it, I think it will sell domestically and internationally."

Actually, there is another reason why I want to try making charcoal, but it's okay to confirm that it can be produced in large quantities first. 

I strongly wish to complete everything during my stay, although I don't think I'll fail.

"I trust you, so I'm looking forward to it... But more importantly,"

What?

"But more importantly, if the wood trade increases, it will be even more difficult to deal with Baron-sama."

Is that so?

"Yes. There is a large monopoly on the trade of wood under Baron-sama."

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

Hmm. The optimal relationship with the Baron is to be neither too close nor too distant.

But if the wood trade increases, it will be difficult to handle. 

Moreover, if I handle it poorly, Cherina herself will undoubtedly be subtly asked for something.

"I'm in trouble..."

"Yes... we're in trouble."

With a sigh, the lunchtime with such sentiments came to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test