14 January 2024

Shop 29.2

Test

Chapter 29.2. Arabian Nights In The Wilderness


The cuisine was quite extravagant. 

The flavors leaned towards spicy, which varied greatly in personal preferences. 

Spices seem to be precious in this country, not a staple in local cuisine. 

It's based more on dishes from the southern regions.

Most of the conversation centered around the Baron's self-promotion and boasting to Cherina. 

However, she ignored it, and surprisingly, I found myself more entertained by the conversation. 

Despite the creepy way he spoke, he turned out to be quite an interesting guy. 

So, I kept nodding along with flattery, and gradually, his initial dismissive attitude turned into a friendly one.

"So, there's a quite unique culture far to the south across the river, huh?"

"That's right. It's beyond the troublesome Midar Mountains."

"What are the Midar Mountains?"

"They're the mountains that divide this continent in half. There are limited places where you can cross them."

"Why would you go out of your way from such a place...? Hearing the story makes the food taste twice as delicious."

"That's right, that's right."

The Baron smiled with satisfaction.

Cherina, on the other hand, remained oddly expressionless.

"Also, today we received amazing potatoes from His Majesty. Incredibly delicious."

I know that. I know how amazing.

But to receive potatoes, even if they are just sweet potatoes, from that greedy Pig King, is he actually quite influential?

I feel like the Baron was lower in rank among the nobles. 

Well, it doesn't matter.

The dish served was a stir-fry of potatoes and bacon with spices and oil, but its taste was the biggest hit of the day.

"This is delicious! Every dish is delicious, but this one stands out. Oh, I feel like I'm going to drink too much wine."

Even though it's not a grape-producing land, there is grape wine here. 

It must be an imported product. 

Alcoholic beverages are less likely to spoil, after all.

"You're quite interesting. I'll allow you to come and visit occasionally."

"I am grateful for your kindness."

At first, he seemed disgustingly creepy in appearance and speech, but after talking, he turned out to be a good guy. Sorry for comparing him to my boss.

His attitude towards Cherina is like that of a maiden in love, so it makes sense.

Unnoticed, it turned into a dining party with just the Baron and me chatting.

Cherina remained expressionless as usual. Perhaps she wanted to join the conversation.

After finishing the last dessert (a sticky fruit), quite some time had passed.

"Baron, enjoyable times always pass quickly. I was delighted to be able to cultivate a friendship with you, but the sun has set, and it's been quite a while. It's about time for us to take our leave."

"Oh, is that so? It's already that time, huh? Alright, I'll prepare a carriage for you to ride home."

"Thank you very much for your consideration. Goodbye then."

I stood up and pulled out Cherina's chair as her master.

"Hm? Why are you making Miss Veliero stand?"

Huh? What is this guy talking about?

"We'll be taking our leave, right?"

"Miss Veliero will stay overnight."

What? Is that so? Is that the kind of relationship they have?

If that's the case, you should have told me earlier. 

I'm not good at reading the atmosphere.

I tried to put back the chair I had pulled out, but Cherina stood up with incredible force.

"Baron, I also bid you farewell now. I have no plans to stay here tonight. Now, let's go, Akira."

Hey, what's going on?

"Wha... Will you not stay overnight today?"

"We, the trading company, are currently at a crossroads. We don't have time to relax. Problems are arising one after another as if we're being targeted."

She spoke with that expression, saying that this dinner was also one of the problems. 

Baron Creep didn't seem to notice.

"When the company settles down, let's meet again. Goodbye."

Without hesitation, she headed towards the carriage, so I bowed to the Baron and followed her.

It was difficult to start a conversation even after the carriage started moving. 

I remained silent throughout the journey.

After getting out of the carriage, she muttered softly.

"Akira-sama. You seem to get along well even with the Baron..."

It was hard to ask about the true meaning behind that, so I returned to the inn.

And then.

Hagg was furious☆


――――

It seems Hagg can't end a day without a pork cutlet sandwich. 

I immediately handed him one, but his anger didn't subside. 

Eventually, I had to treat him to dinner at a tavern again.

Unbelievable.

My remaining funds is 1,064,309 yen.

Hey, God, I might have a grudge against you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test