10 January 2024

Shop 27

Test

Chapter 27. Giant Sailboat In The Wilderness


"Brother."

Cherina's brother approached as I climbed aboard the largest sailboat docked in the port.

I wonder why he doesn't stand out as much as his sister.

"Hey, huh? Are you a newcomer?"

Cherina's tall brother with slanted eyes glanced at me.

"I requested advice and appointed Akira-sama as our consultant. Please be sure to treat him with respect."

"I'm Akira. Nice to meet you."

He offered a handshake with a business smile, but he shook his head.

"Sailors' hands get dirty because we use tar in various places. Your intentions are enough. I'm Paros Veliero. But having my sister as a consultant... could a storm be coming?"

"If it does, we'll be grateful for the freshwater. But more importantly, how is the ship doing?"

"We finally identified the leak. It's fully repaired, so the drainage will be much easier now."

"It took quite some time."

"The crack was above the waterline. I was really surprised. I never imagined water would accumulate in the ship's lower part from such a place."

"Is that possible?"

"The navigator said it could happen. It's rare, but well, since it was above the waterline, once we found the location, the repair was easy."

"That's good to hear."

"We pushed ourselves to build the ship, so problems are bound to arise somewhere."

Paros looked up at the giant ship. His eyes seemed somewhat protective.

"It's been operating for three years already. I hope it stabilizes soon."

"Now that the issues are resolved, if you have the money, you can start building a second one."

"It's completely impossible in the current situation."

"I see... alright, that's the report."

"Understood. Now, let's talk about export goods."

Cherina's aide handed over a wooden board. I wish I knew his name at least.

"The documents are here."

"The purchase prices are all more than double. Isn't that too much?"

"We have carriage tax, goods tax, ship tax, and additional export taxes. If we purchase any cheaper, our trading partners will go bankrupt."

"Brother, how much can these be sold for over there?"

"With these prices, the purchase price doesn't change much."

"Then it's rejected. Considering the expenses, it would be a loss."

"But our trading partners will go bankrupt."

"...There's no other choice. It doesn't match the risk."

"...Alright. Find another product."

"Understood. Now, let's talk about the country's industry."

Cherina's aide called someone nearby, and the person who came ran off like a rocket with his butt on fire after receiving instructions.

"Hey, what were you originally exporting?"

"Soil. More precisely, clay."

"Clay?"

"Yes, the soil around here is ideal for making pottery. We fill clay in baked pots and send them. Since clay needs to be aged to some extent, it's appreciated."

"I see."

But is there no other industry?

"What about salt and fish?"

"Since the destination is a port, they are transported there..."

Paros answered. He was still here. (I'm pretty bad too.)

"This is... we need to fundamentally reconsider the industry, don't we?"

"I believe so. However, this is one of the harsh lands among the small western countries. There are no decent industries..."

"Yeah... but the port is splendid, so if we can use it as a hub port, it would be great. It would serve as a relay point whenever someone goes somewhere."

It would probably be more accurate to say it becomes a base, but I used the term in a general sense.

"The town seems to burden merchants with considerable taxes, but if we eliminate those, people will gather anyway. Goods will gather. Once they pass through this country, they will be transported to other towns or countries by sea or land. It could become an economically free city. Creating economic zones or something would be nice."

"Economic free city?"

Cherina repeated.

"Well, it's hard to explain in this case. In this context, it means a port serving as a mandatory stopover point when going somewhere."

It would probably mean a base, but I used it in a general sense.

"Well, at first, taxes won't accumulate easily, and there's a danger of an influx of different cultures. There's even a possibility of refugees gathering. But if things go well, more inns, and stores selling goods and food will increase, inventory will increase, and logistics will increase. Ultimately, it will generate a flow of money, which will inevitably lead to tax revenue... I think."

I can't really believe it will go so smoothly. Even if it does, you would need quite competent bureaucrats. However, watching this country operates, it's a method worth trying.

"Well, changing a country is not that easy."

"...Yes."

"More importantly, let's think about exportable goods."

I was getting carried away with the giant ship.

While talking, I absentmindedly looked at the deck's rope-winding machine, the figurehead, the mast, and so on.

"Hey, is your language appropriate?"

"Ah! S-Sorry, I was so impressed by the magnificent sailboat that I forgot myself!"

I failed!

Failed again!

"Hahaha, it's okay. Cherina seems to prefer that way, and it softens her expression. Let's get along well. Of course, I'd be happy if you treated me the same way. Yeah, let's be friends."

He laughed even more, easing the slant of his eyes.

"Sorry... I can't help but let my guard down here."

"No need for manners with a seafarer."

"I appreciate that. Count on me from now on."

"Same here... Cherina, what are you going to do?"

"I'll have lunch with Akira-sama and consider export goods. If there's nothing good, we might have to extend the departure a bit."

"Will the crew agree to that?"

"Worst case, we'll transport clay. We have to import anyway."

"True. But ask them early."

"Understood. Now, let's go, Akira-sama."

"Yeah."

And so, the three of us returned to the trading company. Of course, the aide also came along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test