06 January 2024

Shop 25

Test

Chapter 25. The Familiar Young Girl Familiar In The Wilderness


The dwarf Hagg and the blonde dread elf continued to quarrel about this and that, but I had brought them to the Lizard Tail Inn, promising to treat them to a meal.

"I won't cover the alcohol tab."

"What a killjoy."

"You're the one ordering only expensive stuff!"

"Well, fine, but this buffalo grill is delicious."

I tried the salt-grilled meat that Hagg was nibbling on. 

It was a simple dish, just grilled with oil and sprinkled with salt and herbs, but it tasted good.

Indeed, it was worth the 3,000 yen price tag.

"Probably the buffalo I hunted. I brought it down the other day when it strayed."

"Oh, there are buffaloes around here?"

"Not yet, it's not the season. I just hunted a stray. Sold it."

"Wow, you hunted a buffalo alone? Impressive."

The slender Native American elf carried a black shining estoc longer than his height.

However, it was more than just an estoc; it was a crude weapon. 

The sheer thickness of the iron bar, shaved down and fitted with a guard, gave it an increased sense of madness—or rather, a weapon-like feeling.

You could easily die with just a light hit from that. 

It would outclass something like a mace without a doubt.

"Did you really bring it down with that?"

"That's right."

"Hmm, in my country, we didn't have elves, but in stories, they often use spirit magic, bows, and such."

"There are those who do that too."

Oh, I see.

"Heh, this guy is a substitute among weak elves. Elf warriors exist, but they mostly prefer slender rapiers."

While explaining, he gulped down cheap alcohol. 

Despite looking reluctant, he didn't pick a fight, probably because we had a deal not to.

"I'm a warrior in training."

It's different from what I imagined.

When you think of elves, you probably think of their distinctive ears, but this elf's ears were firmly pointed like bamboo leaves. 

Other than that, he mostly shattered the typical image.

A dread elf, and a male at that. Is there a demand for that?

"Why did you come to this country?"

"By chance. I'll earn travel expenses for a while. I'll take on requests from the Commercial Guild."

"What are requests from the Commercial Guild?"

"They're constantly issuing collection requests for creatures and plants that can turn a profit. If you hunt without accepting those, you'll get caught. People here assume that wild animals belong to the lord or the country. They talk about hunting rights and such."

"Ah, I see."

From a juvenile perspective, I'd imagine the Adventurer's Guild handles that kind of thing collectively.

"The Adventurer's Guild? What can you do in such a bizarre place?"

"Oh, it exists."

"Yeah, but it's a group of substitutes that don't exist in this country."

"Well, either way, it doesn't concern me, so it doesn't matter."

I don't plan on becoming the protagonist of some light novel that excels in the Adventurer's Guild.

"That's fine then."

But the idea of earning money through hunting is interesting. It seems impossible for me, but could I manage with a light sword?

Probably not, yeah. I don't feel confident about defeating rabbits either. Let's drop it.

"Oh, right, I forgot. I'm Akira. And you?"

"Yararai. Called Yararai, <Black Needle>."

A nickname, huh? That's painful.

But we shook hands firmly.

With that, I spent a relatively enjoyable night. 

The cheap alcohol had a nostalgic taste.

My remaining funds are 1,357,280 yen.

Before going to bed, my prayer was, "It looks like trouble is going to happen again. What's going on?" Just a complaint.

――――



"Oh, dear customer! It's morning~"

A shock to the stomach.

What's going on with this inn? Is it their job to disturb my morning sleep?

"Narnia..."

I shoot a resentful look at the 12-year-old girl, Narnia.

"Yes, aah~"

Narnia, sitting on my stomach, opens her mouth wide.

"What's your intention?"

"Eh? Yes, I brought cleaning tools, so give me candy!"

Ah, I see. But Narnia, the world is not that sweet.

"Too bad, I already have my cleaning aerial tool. It's officially called a cleaning implement."

I move Narnia aside and clear space beside the bed.

"Eeh! That's not fair! You said you didn't have money!"

"I said I would earn some."

"Even so, you can't buy it in just one day, right?"

The little girl froze with a dismayed expression. 

Is it quite surprising that I earned that much money?

"Whatever, just do your job... Wait, more importantly, I was curious about something from yesterday. How did you enter the room? I definitely locked it."

"It's an inn, so there must be a master key, right?"

Putting her hands on her hips, she strikes a triumphant pose. I'm not praising you!

"Isn't that an abuse of authority? Invading privacy has its limits!"

"...Abuse of what?"

Oh, in this world, it seems there's no such thing as personal time not being violated.

"Oh, forget it. But don't enter without permission."

"It's fine, I'm used to seeing people merging even during work."

This is the worst!

"What's this kid talking about!"

"Eeh. If you're the same age, many people are already married."

Seriously, this world matures early.

"Some even give instructions while merging occasionally."

That's outrageous...

In Japan, that would lead to immediate arrest.

"So, even if Cherina-san comes back to the inn while merging, I won't mind."

What... did you say?

"Hey, why Cherina?"

"Eh? It's already a topic throughout the town. Cherina-san is in love with a foreigner."

Seriously!

Is there even a gossip news program?! I can't even imagine having a TV, let alone a radio.

"The water station is a gathering place for information."

Word of mouth is incredible!

It's like a community center conversation!

"But being in love with Cherina... It's true, huh?"

"Why would that happen? She's just a business partner."

"But you... called her by her first name."

Oh no, it just slipped out in the conversation.

"I was still half-asleep; I wouldn't call her that in front of her."

Although I did.

"Well, that's true, but it's Cherina after all."

"Is she famous?"

"You can't not know Cherina in this country. Without the Veliero Company, this country would have disappeared long ago."

"Is that so? But why?"

"The Veliero Company imports food from various places, so there's always enough to eat. There used to be a lot of traveling merchants, but the wagon tax kept increasing, and they hardly come anymore."

"That's not good."

This country would inevitably have to rely on food imports. 

If they don't offer special tax reductions for food, merchants will quickly turn away. It's natural.

It seems that Pig King lacks political skills, just as he looks.

"Well, whatever, I'm going."

"Yes, go... nnn~!"

I tossed a candy into her mouth as she opened it to say goodbye.

I haven't confirmed it since I left, but by now, she's probably rolling around, holding her cheek. 

Enjoy it to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test