05 January 2024

Musou Slime 20

Test

20. Clash With Dan


"Hey, what the hell were you thinking, breaking my sword like that!"

"Sorrrrryyyy!"

I'm now sincerely apologizing to the sulking Irena. 

The reason, of course, is about breaking the sword.

It seems it happened when I forced it during the battle with the golem. 

Granted, it was a life-or-death struggle, and I might have been using it recklessly.

"Seriously... You reckless fool! Get yourself together!"

Though Irena was angrily shouting throughout the shop just a moment ago, she seemed to have finally calmed down. Arms crossed, she huffs and puffs with irritation.

"...But, it's my fault for making something that breaks so easily! Arx is not to blame!"

Just as I thought she was angry, she now clasps her hands together and apologizes. 

I still don't quite understand artisans.

"Will it be fixed soon?"

"It will! But, sorry! Give me just 3 days!!"

Irena holds up 3 fingers. Apparently, that's how much time she needs to fix it.

"Alright. I'll pay you properly, so please do your best."

"Deal! I'll make a sword this time that won't break easily, so wait for it!"

Saying so, Irena grabs the sword and rushes off. She seems eager to get started. That's reassuring.

With my business concluded, I decided to leave the weapon shop. 

I open the door and step outside.

"Ah!"

Right then, my eyes meet with a passing girl. I remember her.

Her name is Raize, if I recall correctly. She joined Dan's party in my place. This is the 3rd time I've seen her.

Ugh, awkward. I can't just ignore her now, so I should at least greet her.

"Hey, how's everything going with the party...?"

I realize I've chosen a topic that makes no sense at all.

"You're Arx, right?"

"Yeah, but how do you know my name?"

"Oh, Dan told me. He said you're quite incompetent."

I know. I was told that every day when I was in the party. 

It stings a bit to hear it from someone I'm meeting for the first time.

"...What's with that look?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, what's with that expression? Aren't you upset being called incompetent and weak?"

Raize says this with a strong tone. Why does this girl have such a strong attitude towards me?

"I hate people without ambition. And weak ones, too. You're too used to losing. That's why you can be called incompetent without even flinching."

I quickly understand the reason. It seems I fall into the category of people Raize dislikes. 

To her, I must look like a weakling, a loser who grins while being mocked by Dan. But that's not true.

"I've felt frustration and grown. I'm not just a hopeless slime forever."

"...Oh, really?"

Raize looks at me with a surprisingly blank expression and then turns away with a pout.

"Hey, Raize! Are you here?"

A voice stops us as we walk side by side. I have a bad feeling about the familiar low voice.

Glancing to the side, Rize seems as flustered as I am. She subtly shifts her gaze to avoid being noticed and clicks her tongue.

"I found you. What happens when you make me go through the trouble..."

As expected. The one who called out to Rize is Dan. He noticed my presence as he tried to forcibly grab Rize's shoulder.

"...Arx?"

The moment Dan sees me, his face contorted with anger. Wrinkles appear on his well-maintained face, ruining it.

"Hey, why are you with Raize? Did you get permission from someone?"

"I don't need permission. Besides, I just happened to run into Raize."

"Well, whatever. Hey, Rize, let's go home. I have a lot to say about that quest from the other day."

Dan slyly grabs Rize's hand, trying to forcibly take her away. Immediately, Rize's expression fills with anger.

"Don't touch me!"

Snap!

A loud sound echoes. Raize slapped Dan's hand away.

"...You."

Dan speaks in a lower tone. This is bad; I can somewhat predict what Dan might do next.

"Don't get carried away just because you're a woman! Didn't I tell you there won't be a next time?"

Dan moves closer to deliver a follow-up attack to the fallen Raize. I quickly step in.

"...Hey, Arx. Move. If you don't want to be killed."

"Stop it. Don't lay a hand on her."

"What if I say no?"

"I'll stop you."

Upon hearing my answer, I feel Dan's anger escalate even further. The air becomes tense, filled with hostility.

"...You really seem like you want to die."

The situation is on the verge of exploding. 

There couldn't be a more fitting phrase to describe the current tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test