23 January 2024

Introverted Archer 32

Test

32. Rational Anticipation!


"Well, today's quota is completed..." 

I'm waking up 15 minutes earlier to sweep away the dungeon monsters from outside. It has become a familiar routine.

Getting used to the <Observer>, I can now attack golems from the dungeon's first to the 10th floor. 

Thanks to the recently learned skill <Constant Speed>, my arrow's speed doesn't drop after firing, allowing me to maintain high power in continuous attacks.

Golems are no longer a threat. It's a far cry from the days of hunting monsters one by one.

"But... what was that?"

Mirei's voice that I heard yesterday at home. And her image that flashed through my mind.

I've been investigating the cause since yesterday, but I haven't found the answer yet.

"Hey, Eimu-kun, good morning!"

While thinking during the commute, Hina walked up from behind. Right, let's ask Hina. Well, I don't expect a precise answer.

"...Is that some kind of gossip?"

When I tell Hina the details, surprisingly, she gives me an answer.

"No, no, there's no way such an irrational story could be true."

"Eimu-kun, are you the type who doesn't believe in ghosts or aliens?"

"Ghosts and aliens are different. Ghosts don't exist, but there's a possibility that aliens do."

However, prediction? I don't believe it, but her explanation surpasses everything within me.

In that case, does this mean danger is approaching her in the future? Come to think of it, the background where her figure got reflected yesterday was dark, like a dungeon.

"Eimu-kun, are you worried about Mirei-san?"

"No, it's just... I want to clarify what that phenomenon was."

"More lies again. Because, Eimu-kun, you're actually kind."

Being called kind is unfamiliar to me. It's embarrassing, so I avert my gaze. As we walk, cars pass by on the road.

---At that moment.

Beep beep beep beep beep!!

We hear an ear-piercing sound of a car horn. The one making the noise is a car approaching from the front.

The driver—collapsed!? Could it be? They fainted while driving!? Moreover, they're coming towards us!

No, we won't make it—!

"Eimu-kun..."

I hear Hina's voice. If only for now. I could do something, even if it's just her—!

I immediately embraced her. All that's left is for that car to come crashing towards us. And then, I would be run over.

Run over? What?

"Hey, Eimu-kun, what's wrong!?"

I snapped back to reality. When I opened my eyes, what reflected in my view were Hina's blushing face and the cold stares around us.

"Uh, what...? Where's the car?"

"What are you talking about? I thought you were spacing out and suddenly hugged me."

No, I definitely saw a car about to crash into us. And Hina's voice—no, at that moment, I realized.

Beep beep beep beep beep!!

Bang!!

A car passed right next to us. In the step we were about to take, a car crashed into the wall, blocking our path.

If we had taken even one step forward, we would have been crushed between the car and the wall.

"Uh... Lies? An accident...?"

Hina sits down powerlessly on the spot. I was desperately trying to accept the situation.

However, something has become clear through this.

As Hina said, it seems I can foresee the future in some way. Rather than prediction, it seems more like precognition.

Why can I do that? What the conditions are for it to activate, I don't know. But through this incident, I am convinced.

Hina and I contacted the police and fire department, explaining the situation of the accident.

The driver had probably already passed away before the accident. Fortunately, considering the circumstances, no one was injured in the accident.

Maybe... We could have been the only victims.

After completing various procedures, we headed back to school. Hina seemed completely withdrawn, and an awkward silence continued for a while.

"...Any injuries?"

"Yeah. Eimu-kun, are you okay?"

"Yeah, we're both fine."

"Eimu-kun, did you... protect me?"

Whether I protected her or not, I don't know. But what I saw in the future certainly happened the same way.

"About what happened earlier, I still think we should meet Mirei-san. Something dangerous is definitely going to happen."

"But, even if we meet, will anything change? They say fate can't be altered."

"No, it can change. Because, Eimu-kun, you changed my fate!"

I see! The future I saw wasn't a predetermined fate.

At least, my figure wasn't there in the future I saw. So, if I'm there, maybe the outcome will change!

I opened my smartphone and launched the messaging app.

The recipient of the message is Mirei. Below the Destiny album from the other day, I began typing a new message.

[How about the three of us, you, Hina, and I, go dungeon exploring next time we're off?]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test