10 January 2024

Earth Dungeon 125.2

Test

Chapter 125.2. Fortress


"Head towards the command center. It's ahead."

"Understood."

Turning the steering wheel, I follow Masamune's instructions, and the windows of the lined-up prefab houses are forcefully opened. Not just one, but from all around.

People of all ages, with tired and gaunt faces, pop out, and a commotion starts as they see the jeep.

"Hooray! Help from the country!"

"We weren't abandoned!"

"We have to tell everyone!"

To the people cheering and rejoicing with hopeful expressions, I feel a slight sense of guilt. This is not rescue from the country; it's just a merchant.

"Well, I somehow get it."

"Sharp guy. Alright, here it is."

With a sly grin, Masamune points towards a building adjacent to a three-story concrete structure. There's a sign hanging, saying "Tsukuba Line Fortress Command Center." It's touching. Where are the large forces to maintain this fortress?

Probably following the jeep, a large crowd gathers, so I stop before entering.

"What's wrong?"

Curious, Nambu's grandpa asks as I stop. I wave my hands to show it's nothing.

[Indeed, promotional activities are necessary.]

[That's right. We need everyone to remember the name of the Amatsugahara Corporation.]

Shizuku smiles gently, having finally understood why soldiers remain in an abandoned fortress. Time for some promotional activities.

"Alright, everyone. I'm Amano Sakimori, the president of the Amatsugahara Corporation. Today, I've come as a traveling merchant."

As I announce with a slightly raised voice, the people who followed the jeep look bewildered. It's different from what they expected. I continue without minding.

"Safe, secure, and affordable. The Amatsugahara Corporation is here to sell products to all of you. First, let me introduce myself."

I bow my head with a bit of flair. The words cause even more excitement among the people. That's probably because I arrived in a military jeep.

"Fried bread? Can I have some, mister?"

"Sure, eat up. Let me know how it tastes."

As a child timidly raises his hand among the group, I nod in agreement. For some reason, the man pulls back his face with a grimace. I should have brought Yukihana along or maybe Karin. No, Karin might have escaped before coming here.

[Mmm, if only the time limit for Summon All Units was removed, Shizuku-chan, the ideal wife and mother, would help her husband.]

[Shizuku-san. In your mind, how many years have passed since we became a couple?]

While clenching her fist and expressing frustration, Shizuku seems to be daydreaming too much lately. What a hopeless daughter. Oh well.

"I'm not part of the rescue team from the country. I'm a traveling merchant. As a greeting today, I plan to distribute some trial products."

A way to make them forget about the intimidating look on my face. It's simple – objects.

I take a cardboard box from the jeep's storage area and place it on the ground. The box makes an unexpectedly heavy sound when it hits the ground, drawing everyone's attention.

Opening the box with a loud noise, I take out items wrapped in paper. I approach the group and bend down in front of a small child.

"These are trial products. Please enjoy this fried bread."

Sweet and sugary fried bread. A friend to malnourished children with calorie-rich needs. The lineup may be questionable, but I chose it for the impact.

"Fried bread? Can I have it, mister?"

"Sure, eat up. Let me know how it tastes."

With a nod, I encourage the child to unwrap the paper quickly. The child eagerly takes a bite.

"It's sweet! It's soft! Very delicious!"

With a shout, the child starts eating in earnest. The crowd had fallen silent, and people were watching the child devour the fried bread with envy.

"Ah, these are trial products, and I brought nearly 300 of them. I also have wheat, potato, corn flour, and ale. For now, enjoy the fried bread. If it's not enough, share it with others."

"Give me some!"

"Me too."

"And me!"

Without forming a line, people rush toward the cardboard box, attempting to grab the fried bread, causing chaos and confusion. However...

Bang! A gunshot rings out, halting everyone's movements.

"I, the authoritarian ruler, Masamune Date, will be managing these trial products! If anyone has a problem, step forward! Can everyone take them, Sakimori?"

I shrug my shoulders in response to Masamune's stern gaze.

"I will distribute these fairly later! Spread the word to everyone! Soma, bring soldiers and cut the fried bread into portions. Also, manage all of Sakimori's trial products and create a ledger!"

"Got it. In a little while, then."

Soma's grandpa nods gives instructions to nearby soldiers, and begins transporting cardboard boxes from the jeep. Observing this, the surrounding people shout about the temporary distribution and rush to inform their comrades.

People seem unafraid and accustomed to Masamune's current actions. Despite some resistance to my actions, there were no people with feelings of fear or disgust. It's like a base managed with kindness.

"Masamune, this guy is dangerous. An interesting guy, but dangerous."

"He's a smart one. Well, ease up a bit, will you?"

"Heh. Give me a break."

While Nambu laughs and Masamune sighs, I leisurely enter the so-called command center.

I'll take some hot tea, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test