10 January 2024

Earth Dungeon 125.1

Test

Chapter 125.1. Fortress


Driving through the ruins with three people in the jeep, we navigate the deserted city under the guidance. The jeep rattles as it runs over the cracked asphalt, passing through the desolate world devoid of people.

"It's been a while since I rode in a jeep. It seems like it hasn't been maintained much." 

Masamune is sitting in the passenger seat, wearing a camouflage wide-brimmed hat, looking at me as if blaming me. I respond. 

"Isn't a vehicle inspection something you do every few years? I got this from a kind person recently."

Isn't that how cars work? I got my driver's license, bought a car, and sold it soon after. That was a few years before the completion of the wall.

"That won't do. Military jeeps are sturdy, but they're used recklessly. You should have it checked by a mechanic at least every few months." 

Nambu from the back seat in a hoarse voice, joining the conversation. A mechanic, huh? I don't remember using it recklessly, but maybe it's necessary.

"There's no mechanic at my company. Is that how military vehicles are? We also have armored vehicles. We're getting a tank soon." 

I was confident that Serika would arrange it. I also need to learn how to drive a helicopter.

"That's going to break down soon. And getting a tank—what kind of company do you work for?"

"Just an ordinary company. You've heard of products like yodels, right? A small company that sells niche products."

In the rear seat, cardboard boxes and barrels are serving as storage. Grandpa Soma looks at them, and rubs his sesame-salt beard.

"You work for a small company, huh? I understand being careless, but why did you put us in the jeep?"

He asks, implying carelessness, but I shake my head. It's not like that.

"If I intended to kill you, I would have done it already. I'd approach, and boom." 

In the abandoned town, I would've been killed already. These old folks are not here to kill. They're too kind. Maybe their ethical standards are a bit different from the norm.

"That's true. How about letting me do the maintenance? I'll take care of it at a low cost."

"Wait, is Nambu's grandpa a mechanic?" 

I look at Nambu's grandpa through the mirror as he laughs slyly from the back seat.

"Yeah, I've been feeling lonely lately with nothing to fix. My skills can still compete with the young ones, you know?"

"That's good. Well, I'll ask you later then."

Serika, you deceived me. You said it was good once a year.

[Probably, Serika-chan told you the regular maintenance frequency, and she didn't lie. It's her usual tactic.]

[Shizuku-san is so kind. Is it okay to say it's a scammer's trick?]

With a wry smile, I expect her to insist on that. She's quite a troublesome business partner.

After chatting for a while, we arrived at the designated location and I was impressed. I step out of the jeep after applying the brake and gaze at the towering wall in front of me. The jeep shakes and stops, and I look around after getting out.

"It's quite a solid military base."

There is a nearly 20-meter-high wall in front of me. It's not a haphazardly constructed wall but a thick, sturdy concrete wall. Instead of connecting buildings like an energy-saving method, all the surrounding buildings have been demolished, and the area is properly covered by a wall as a fortress for defense against monsters.

Heavy machine guns are installed on various watchtowers, and soldiers with automatic rifles guard the surroundings vigilantly. It's a military fortress with powerful defenses. It is operational as a fortress. In the gaps in the wall, rather than metal doors, something more like bulkheads with a substantial feel is installed.

"Welcome to the Tsukuba Line Fortress. Well, it's already a makeshift fortress."

Masamune waves his hand, telling me the name of the base. It's a fantastic name. I can't help but be amazed.

"It's the Maginot Line Fortress. It's a solid fortress, then." It would defend against any large army, very reliable.

"Everyone says that. I want to punch the former Minister of the Army who decided on this fortress name." He says sarcastically, and Masamune and the others smile wryly, indicating they are aware.

"Open up! Unusual guests here!"

"Hmm? Oh, did support from Noda return? Opening it now!"

Masamune shouts loudly, and the soldier on the watchtower signals below with a beaming smile.

Are they also from Noda? Noda, Noda...

[Why are these people staying in an abandoned fortress?]

[If our assumptions are correct, we'll find out soon.]

Shizuku looks curious. But she's somewhat ignorant of human emotions and actions, viewing things rationally.

It's a common pattern. Don't you get it...?

I return to the driver's seat and feel a bit lonely as I watch the heavy bulkhead open with a solemn sound. Well, it's better than before.

"Proceed with caution." I shrug my shoulders at Masamune's caution.

"Don't worry, I have a gold license, so relax."

After all, I've had no accidents or violations for over ten years. I've never been caught by the police. I must be a model driver.

I wait for the bulkhead to open and drive the jeep inside. Once on the other side of the bulkhead, neatly arranged prefab houses come into view. Some are concrete buildings, standing out since they are inside prefab houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test