20 December 2023

Shop 9

Test

Chapter 9. Panties In The Wilderness


First, what stands out is the city wall. 

Its height is around 10 meters, perhaps? It's about the height of a three-story building, 

But it seems to enclose a considerable area. 

The reason for saying "seems" is that there is no way to overlook the entire thing. 

The city wall protrudes towards the sea, making it difficult to swim around and enter from the side. 

Inside the city wall, there is a tall tower or rather a lighthouse. 

It doesn't seem to be lit now.

But the light I saw the other night must have come from this lighthouse.

In the opposite direction of the lighthouse, a castle is visible. 

It might be a fortress, given its simple shape, but I don't know the difference. 

At least these are the two buildings visible beyond the city wall. 

The castle doesn't seem to be very large, more like a vertically stacked large supermarket or a small shopping mall.

The city gate is wide open, swinging outward like the gates of a Buddhist temple. 

There doesn't seem to be a moat-like in Japanese castles. 

Two soldiers are standing next to the gate. 

One of them is yawning, seemingly bored, while the other, with sharp eyes, is facing the road, which means towards us.

As Hagg and I attempt to pass through the city gate while chatting, the soldier with sharp eyes blocks our path with a spear.

"Hey, you two, wait a moment!"

Oh, it seems passing through won't be easy. 

Hagg looks suspicious.

"Hey, you there, in the suspicious outfit! It's you!"

Apparently, it's me.

"What have I done?"

I put on my best sales smile, but the soldier becomes even more wary. Why?

"You look quite different from the locals, with that unusual hair color and strange attire. What are you doing in this country?"

"Country?"

"Yes! This is the glorious maritime nation, the Kingdom of Pilatus!"

I put a question mark over my head and look at Hagg. 

He answers. 

"It's one of the city-states scattered to the west."

"Well, it is a city-state, but don't compare it to those pseudo-nations where the head changes every few years!"

"I apologize. Due to my distant origin, I'm unfamiliar with the local circumstances. I mean no harm, and if you could accept my apology, I would be grateful."

I speak lightly, not really meaning it. 

I've become adept at maintaining a gloomy expression due to the many customer complaints.

"Alright, whatever. So, what are you doing here?"

"Well, you see, my merchant companions and I planned to make a fortune. We pooled our money, intending to bring rare goods from afar on a large ship. However, we encountered a storm, and the ship sank. I clung to a barrel and drifted for several days until I was rescued by Hagg-dono here. He guided me to the town."

It's quite a tragic story, but I didn't let go of my sales smile. 

It's one of the few weapons I've honed over the years. 

However, dealing with complaints requires a talent for looking depressed.

"That sounds tough. Hey, dwarf! Is that story true?!"

"Yeah? He collapsed on the brink of death, so I helped him out for real."

"Hmm... The open sea around here is rough, and accidents happen... But doing business on a ship is dangerous. I've heard of it from Miss Cherina's place... Well, I understand the situation. If you cause trouble in town, we'll arrest you immediately! Dwarf! It's one silver coin for bringing in weapons! If you swing it around in town, you'll get arrested without question!"

"I know."

"Alright, stay still."

The soldier takes out something like a tennis racket made of metal without strings.

"What's this?"

"It's an item bag-type aerial tool to examine. Dwarf, give me the bag you're holding."

Hagg silently hands over the item bag.

The soldier adjusts what seems to be a switch or dial on the racket and scans it over the bag.

"As for the contents... blacksmith tools. Along with the weapon, that's eleven silver coins!"

Hagg sighs and hands over the silver coins.

"This is a proof-of-authentication tag. Don't lose it! You're free to go!"

And so, Hagg and I set foot into the town. 

By the way, the other soldier just stood there yawning the whole time. 

I wonder if they get the same salary?

――――

We entered the town.

Or rather, it seemed more like a city-state. 

The town surrounded by these city walls—no, the city itself—is the Kingdom of Pilatus. 

It's neither too big nor too small. 

A wide road stretches straight from the city gate. 

The ground here is paved with stones, wide enough for three carriages side by side. 

On both sides, buildings made of wooden pillars and brick in an earthy color are lined up, mostly two stories tall.

"Dried bricks, you see, if you mix water with the soil on the wilderness side, it surprisingly becomes good soil. Although it's not particularly suitable for growing crops due to its high clay content."

"You're quite knowledgeable."

"Just been traveling for a long time, that's all."

After walking straight for about 200 or 300 meters, we reached a circular plaza. 

Here, stalls crowded along the outer perimeter. 

To the left, eastward, a road branched off at a right angle and continued straight. 

It seems to lead to another city gate.

"Come to think of it, a lot of wood is used in the construction here. It didn't seem like a place with abundant wood."

"There should be a river on the opposite side of the gate we entered. They probably import it on rafts from upstream. The river is large, and the flow is gentle."

I see, so they manage the water supply from the river. Although, I can't see it from here.

"Well, we've seen the main street. Let's head to that inn that looked promising."

"I'll leave it to you. I hope it's not too expensive."

"That would be troublesome for me too, so rest assured."

Indeed.

――――

"Welcome..."

A rather unwelcoming greeting got directed at us. 

The man behind the counter, a slightly chubby fellow leaning on his elbows, didn't seem to have the best customer service skills.

I couldn't help but think.

"Is this how you treat guests?" 

Nevertheless, Hagg didn't seem bothered and initiated a conversation.

"Innkeeper! Do you have any available rooms? Two rooms!"

The man, showing his sparse blond hair from the back, looks at the wooden tags and keys hanging on the wall behind him. 

He casually takes out two and tosses them onto the counter. 

The keys and wooden tags get connected by a string. 

The tags get marked with the numbers 13 and 21. I decided to ignore the fact that these were clearly Arabic numerals.

"Four silver coins."

No friendliness whatsoever.

"Akira, 4,000 yen."

Yeah, the translation is still as mysterious as ever. 

I mentally chanted 4,000 yen, and four silver coins appeared in my hand.

I took them out of my pocket. 

My remaining balance is 10,014 yen. 

Oh, this is quite dangerous. 

I can only stay for two more nights. 

The sense of crisis suddenly became stronger.

"Hey, is there a cheaper inn?"

I asked quietly.

"There is, but... it's like a den of thieves, you know?"

"That won't work."

There might be someone trying to take my life out of spite, even if I don't have anything valuable on me. 

Well, if they're willing to resort to robbing, would they spare my clothes and shoes?

"I'll take the first floor, and you can go to the second."

"Got it."

I received the key with the number 21 on it.

"I'll stop by the blacksmith guild. Come to my room tonight, and let's talk about what's ahead."

"Yeah, thanks."

"Then, farewell."

Hagg left the inn. I, on the other hand, really needed a break. 

I wanted to lie down on the bed. 

I had endured it, but my legs were like lead, and I was in a state of extreme muscle soreness. 

In fact, my shoes were on the verge of falling apart. 

It was a mystery that the soles hadn't come off. 

Frankly, synthetic leather shoes of this type were unsuitable for this world. 

I had to somehow make money to buy new shoes.

But more importantly, if I didn't earn money, I couldn't afford cigarettes. They were just too expensive. 

I scolded myself for worrying about such trivial things and approached room 21. 

When I tried to open the door, it was slightly ajar. 

Upon entering, I found a girl inside, wearing only panties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test