29 December 2023

Shop 19.1

Test

Chapter 19.1. The First Cleaning Tools in the Wilderness


The store was smaller than expected.

Near the entrance, there was a small counter, and beyond that, a small table flanked by a two-seater sofa. The only other thing in the store was a door leading further inside.

When you think of a store, you expect items neatly displayed in glass showcases, so the absence of any products made me distinctly uneasy.

"Oh, did Miss Cherina forget something?"

An elderly man who had just started to retreat into the back door turned around.

Although he was still dressed in ethnic attire, it was simpler with fewer decorations compared to the merchants in the guild. Yet, somehow, he gave off a butler-like impression.

Well, I've never seen a real butler before.

"No, someone I'm acquainted with at home has business here, so I thought I'd put in a good word."

Wait, did she come with me for that reason? I didn't ask for this.

"Oh, is the young lady herself here? May I inquire about the nature of your business?"

The conversation was progressing without regard to my intentions. Oh well.

"I'm sorry to disappoint, but I just wanted to take a look at some affordable aerial tools. It's not a big deal; I just thought I'd make a recommendation."

Why did it turn out like this?

"Ah, Akira-sama, what cleaning tools are you looking for?"

She seemed unfazed by personal space, casually starting a conversation.

"If the price is right, I'm interested in cleaning tools. I'd buy something else if it's handy and within budget, but I'm not exactly swimming in money."

I hesitated to reveal my true intentions, but it's not something I absolutely have to get.

"Have you been involved in the aerial tools trade before?"

"Trade? Today was the first time I even saw them in action. I was so impressed that I came straight here."

I saw them yesterday, but the details don't matter.

"Is that so..."

Cherina-san lowered her gaze and fell into thought for a moment.

"Are you using an item bag?"

"Come to think of it, that's also considered an aerial tool."

"Yes."

"Sorry, I just got this recently..."

"Things like that happen."

"Yeah...hahaha..."

Let's laugh it off.

At that moment, the butler, or the shopkeeper, returned.

"I apologize for the wait. I've prepared a different tea for you. It's black tea."

"Thank you... The fragrance suggests it's from Lake Relle, isn't it?"

"As expected of Miss Cherina."

I was left out, but that worked out for the best.

"I've selected a few for you. Most will cost a shining large gold coin, but they're worth it."

Hey, wait! A shining large gold coin is 100,000. That's way over budget!

"This one is a standard lighting tool and a cleaning tool. We also have wind and fire aerial tools that Miss received today. Originally, both would require a large gold coin each, but this is a special offer."

Hey, wait. There are quite a variety of them.

"And here, for a little extra, we have the long-awaited light sword. All of them are 'affordable' cleaning tools."

The shopkeeper explained with a soft smile appropriate for his age. Well, he's been a merchant and shopkeeper until this age. Since he's likely some supernatural being, I shouldn't trust that smile.

"Oh, wouldn't you be left with almost no profit?"

Cherina-san looked puzzled.

"If it's for Miss's esteemed guest, you'll come back to buy more soon."

"Oh, can I trust you that much?"

"We have a close relationship with the top Veliero Trading Company in the country. Even if it puts us in the red, we want you to remember our faces."

"Oh, if by 'close relationship' you mean as a business partner and not romantically, what will you do?"

Cherina-san leaned against me, showing off her ample chest.

Hey, cut it out.

"In that case, it's even better."

The two of them exchanged a quiet laugh. Hey, include me in this.

Or rather, I don't need the young lady; go home.

"Well then, it's late, but I'm Halogen. Nice to meet you."

I really want to interject. I have no intention of marrying a lamp.

"No, I was lacking in manners. I'm Akira. I'm a humble traveling merchant, so I hope we get along despite the short time."

The old merchant briefly glanced at Cherina but, without showing it, extended his hand for a handshake, so I shook it.

"Now, please take a look."

In the attached case-shaped wooden box were five aerial tools carefully arranged.

However, they all looked exactly the same, so even if they told me to choose, I'd be in a bind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test