25 December 2023

Shop 15

Test

Chapter 15. The Scarlet Sailor In The Wilderness


■■■ Cherina Veliero - The Scarlet Chain ■■■

The ship entered at a time long before the sun rose, in a period that could be considered either early morning or still deep into the night.

One usually wouldn't dock a ship at a harbor when the sun wasn't shining. However, this was the Western Midar Sea, where staying on the sea was just as risky.

The members of the Veliero Trading Company, accustomed to such situations, immediately lit numerous bonfires in the harbor upon sighting their largest sailboat.

The sailboat, which had been navigating into the Liberii Bay relying only on the unreliable light of the lighthouse until then, swiftly turned its helm towards them as the sky brightened.

While the expansive Liberii Bay protected ships from the high waves of the open sea, it offered no defense against mysterious currents within the bay. There were no calm seas in the Western Midar Sea.

As small boats surrounded for support, the massive ship was moored to the pier by the time the sky became bright.

"Welcome back, big brother. Was the sea rough?"

Cherina greeted her brother, Paros Veliero, who had completed all instructions.

"The sea remains as capricious as ever. Once you leave the bay, it's just a bunch of small islands, so there are currents."

Her brother shrugged. While he looked dignified on the ship, once off it, he became as ordinary as anyone else.

"So, is the route the same as always?"

"Yeah, once we can reach the foothills of the South Midar Mountains, I'm sure we can get our hands on some rare items."

"If we can go that far, the southern route will be complete, and we can reach Dwayil and Atlantia."

"No way. The sea south of the South Midar Mountains has more islands than the Western Midar. I've only heard, though. They say it's called the Demon Sea around there. Furthermore, it seems there are terrifying creatures living on those islands, and they are genuinely feared."

Islands with a massive population of insects sound unsettling. Let's stick to the foothills of the South Midar Mountains. Even that won't be an easy voyage.

"Good. I was worried because you tend to be reckless and end up in dangerous waters. It's reassuring if you have some discretion."

"I won't do anything reckless. Though I want to explore the distant seas."

"Exercise some restraint, please."

"...Cherina hasn't changed. Well then, I'm hungry. How about going for a meal?"

"Let's inspect the town's diner."

"...You really haven't changed."

With that, the two siblings headed to the town's diner.

There were several types of diners, some focusing on alcohol and others on food. Some even had a second floor serving as a lounge where one could bring in a woman they befriended on the first floor.

I chose to visit a place that balanced the combination of meals and drinks, the most common type of establishment. I occasionally visit this place. What makes it good is that the owner doesn't fawn over me when I walk in. Moreover, the items served here reflect the latest trends in the city, making it perfect for investigations.

Having finished the morning tasks at the trading company, such as unloading cargo, I was a bit late. Thanks to that, it seemed I had avoided the morning rush.

Depending on the profession, some people eat a hearty breakfast, while others consider breakfast a luxury.

Sailors eat three meals a day and sometimes have two snacks. Of course, it's not the case when they are stranded.

Due to this, I also stick to three meals a day, with a tea break, but I keep breakfast light.

――――

Upon entering the shop, my attention was immediately drawn to a man.

He wore a pure white cotton shirt, paired with well-sewn black trousers, also likely made of cotton. 

Black hair framed a face with few contours, giving him an overall youthful appearance that made it hard to determine his age. 

Perhaps due to a privileged upbringing, he lacked any noticeable muscles and had a slender build.

He was struggling to bite into a seemingly tough piece of bread. 

The quality of the bread must have declined again. 

Every country exempts bread from taxes, and in some cases, subsidies are provided to maintain its affordability. 

If people can't afford bread, they might move to another country. 

Bread is essential for survival, making it a line that must get protected.

Over the past few years, the quality of bread has been deteriorating day by day. 

There is no future for this country. I can assert that much. 

Therefore...

I shook my head from side to side, temporarily abandoning my thoughts and placing a casual order. 

The potato soup that arrived was terrible. 

Full of inferior potatoes, almost on the verge of rotting, it was supposed to be a long-lasting food.

Despite cursing the owner who served me this menu with ease, I found it oddly comforting. 

I vented the usual complaints to my brother, releasing some pent-up frustration. 

The world is filled with things that just can't be helped.

After sighing, I returned to the trading company. 

It was a busy time, and just as I was about to take a break, an employee from reception approached me, saying that there was an impromptu business negotiation and that they needed someone to handle it. 

Well, not me specifically, but one of my subordinates who was checking the inventory beside me.

I never participate in impromptu negotiations. 

However, I became a bit interested in the following words of the receptionist.

"The man who came is wearing unfamiliar clothes with long sleeves in this damn hot weather and has a suspicious air with precious glasses."

He was probably the foreigner I saw at the tavern. 

Peering through a hidden hole in the wall into the lobby, I confirmed he was indeed the same man.

"I'll take care of it."

"Huh? You, Miss?"

One of my subordinates, who was preparing for the negotiation, widened their eyes.

"It seems a bit interesting, that's all."

"...Miss, you have a fondness for unusual things, so please don't wave that crimson chain around like you used to just because you don't like the other party. Please."

"Hey! I won't do such a thing now! If the other party is rude, I'll leave it to you guys."

I inadvertently raised my voice, trusting my reliable subordinate who has known me since childhood and is aware of even my darkest moments. I'm sure my face is turning red.

"I'll leave it to you."

He sat back in his chair and returned to checking the inventory.

"Now then, let's go."

――――

The man was in an unfamiliar outfit.

The tailoring was remarkably solid, yet the attire was strangely simple, lacking any accompanying decorations.

The jacket, a navy shade close to black, seemed brand new with not a speck of dust on it.

The trousers were slightly dirty at the hem; he wore sandals, probably recently purchased in this area, and his exposed feet were as smooth as a newborn's.

For commoners, walking barefoot was common, resulting in thicker and more cracked skin on their feet.

Could he be a noble? He was an enigmatic man.

The conversation began with relatively light banter.

There was no pushy atmosphere characteristic of impromptu business negotiations; it felt more like a conversation at a tea party.

It was refreshing for someone like me, who usually dealt with shrewd merchants.

Now, the pleasant time has come to an end.

What the man pulled out was a mysterious bottle. It was more transparent than glass, soft like tree bark, and despite its softness, it didn't allow water to pass through.

But what caught my attention the most was the lid.

Unlike corks or wooden fragments, the pouring spout's lid had a strange, soft, white texture. When twisted, it closed tightly to prevent water leakage. The weakness of leather water flasks is their easily detachable spouts. To counter this, one would tie the entrance with leather strings. But it adds inconvenience.

Does he realize the potential fortune just in the structure of this twisting lid?

Furthermore, he continued with something shocking.

"There are a total of 30. I'm considering 7,000 yen per piece."

Does this mean 7 silver coins per bottle?

Even without thinking, a noble connoisseur would casually throw away ten gold coins for it. Nobles, despite their conservative nature, love novelty. Selling it as a water flask for military bigwigs or as a vase for a single flower could be interesting.

The only weakness might be the lack of decorations; with such a rare item, carving statues of goddesses or giant trees would surely be highly valued.

Then I noticed something.

This soft bottle, called a PET bottle, pursues practicality from start to finish.

Light, unbreakable, leak-proof, easy to drink from, easy to close, and the content is immediately visible.

At that moment, I felt a chill.

Undoubtedly, this is a utilitarian item.

It's simply a consumable suitable for handling beverages.

I instinctively feel that most of his life story is a lie.

But those lies aren't meant to deceive the other person. There are probably complicated circumstances, making it difficult to explain, so lies are born out of necessity. That's why the conversation felt enjoyable.

However, if he's a merchant connected to a country where PET bottles are commonly used...

"Understood. I will purchase all 30."

I replied promptly.

I must not let him go. At least until I extract information about the country he came from.

After concluding the negotiations, he disappeared.

"...Keep an eye on that man."

At my command, my subordinate acted. Let's observe him for a while.

Akira.

It's the name of the man with the mysterious smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test