25 December 2023

Shop 14

Test

Chapter 14. Red-Busty Beauty In The Wilderness


"Oh, it's the face I saw this morning."

I was surprised as that was the first line when she turned around.

She smiled upon seeing me.

"Anyone would remember with such a rare sight. Well, please take a seat for now."

"Thank you."

Right from the start, it was her pace.

I never thought she would remember my face.

Even in the morning, I wasn't staring at them directly. I glanced sideways but mostly kept an ear out.

No, to her, I'm a foreigner.

Moreover, I was wearing precious glasses. The white Y-shirt might have stood out as well.

Taking the initiative in this situation would be difficult.

Anyway, let's try to bring the situation under control, at least a little.

As I sat and faced her, I could see the red beauty.

Smooth skin with a glow, fiery red hair defying gravity, and large mounds pointing to the sky.

All of them were top-notch.

That's why I absolutely shouldn't let my guard down.

The more the opponent is a beautiful woman, the less one should trust.

"Well, it's the first time I've seen such a beautiful woman since arriving in this country. I happened to catch a glimpse this morning, but seeing you again, you're truly beautiful. Oh, excuse me, let's start with introductions. I am Akira."

First, a jab.

Since I currently have no interest in women, I can easily say such cringe-worthy lines.

I didn't mention my last name because I heard those with a last name like Hagg are often nobles, royalty, or powerful figures like big merchants. The situation varies significantly depending on the region.

"You're quite skilled. I am Cherina Veriero. I have the honor of serving as the acting head of this trading company."

She casually deflected the jab.

"Oh, it's amazing for someone so young. It's enviable to possess both intelligence and beauty."

It's a grand gesture, another jab.

"Well, most people usually criticize women involved in business, considering it shameless for a woman to step into such matters, right?"

She threw a jab back.

"That's a slightly exaggerated statement about the kindness that says women should stay in the home, protect, and so on. Don't worry about it; I am loved."

"Well, that's a delightful story. Did women play an active role in your country, Akira-sama?"

It's a feint, but I deliberately go along with it.

"Yes, it didn't go as far as gender equality, and it was still largely a male-dominated society, but there were many scenes where women played an active role. By the way, the head of the product development department where I used to work was a woman."

Now, how will she respond?

"That's... an incredible story. I've never heard of such a thing. Which country are you talking about?"

"It's a country called Japan. Does that ring a bell?"

I entered this flow more easily than I thought.

"No, not at all. While we're in the business, we are familiar with most countries on the continent..."

"Then, perhaps, I have been washed ashore from outside this continent."

"What do you mean?"

I told her the cover story I had prepared. The content was not much different from what I told Hagg initially.

I set out to sea on a ship but ended up here after it sank. Fortunately, I have some money and goods left.

That's the story.

"That was unfortunate. However, sea travel is always fraught with danger, especially in the Western Midal Sea, which is one of the most difficult places. You should be thankful for being alive."

"That's true. Well then, please take a look at this..."

I reach into the bag I bought earlier and discreetly take a single PET bottle from the container. Placing it on the table, Cherina leans in to take a look.

"A bottle... isn't it?"

"No, it's called a PET bottle. Please, take it in your hand. Unlike glass, it won't break easily."

Cherina initially handles it like an antique, then delicately like fine glasswork, and finally squeezes it tightly, her eyes widening at its elasticity.

"What material is this made of?"

"That's a trade secret. It's for you, so feel free to handle it more roughly. Like this."

"Ah!"

I take the PET bottle from her hand, release my grip, and let it fall to the floor. The water-filled PET bottle makes a dull sound as it bounces once before rolling on the floor.

"If I put more force into it, it would break, but it won't shatter like glass."

"It got scratched."

I pick up the PET bottle and place it in front of her, but the red-haired woman points to a scratch on the bottle's bottom.

"It's more susceptible to scratches than glass, but it won't break with this level of damage. Lightweight, durable, completely impermeable to water, transparent, and easy to open and close with a cap. It just contains water. Simple, right? Pour it all out and see. You'll feel its lightness."

Cherina snaps her fingers, and the dark-skinned man who welcomed us earlier flies over. Cherina instructs him to bring a cup, and he immediately moves. It's a speed I'd like to show off to my juniors in the company. Well, my juniors never lasted long; I was the eternal gofer.

"It's very good water. It's just like rainwater."

"Is water hard to come by around here?"

"This country is located along a major river, so water is available, but the soil melts, making it consistently turbid. Unless it's the rainy season, water might not be easily accessible. Haven't you seen the River Liberi?"

I see. Transparent water itself was valuable here. It's challenging to shake off the Japanese mindset.

"Yes, I entered from the northern entrance outside the city walls, but I only saw the sea. Where is the River Liberi?"

"It runs south of the town. It's a massive river that you can't see on the opposite bank. It's muddy, but the grand scenery is worth seeing. Would you like to take a look sometime?"

"If this business negotiation goes well, I might consider it."

"Well, what if it takes a turn for the worse?"

"At that time, I'll go to the riverside and shed some tears."

She momentarily stopped, her crimson eyes focused on me, and then she slowly burst into laughter.

"So, how many PET bottles can you provide, and at what price can you wholesale them?"

The smile tightened into a serious expression instantly. She's truly a woman not to be underestimated.

Hagg estimated the value of the PET bottles as "around 3,000 yen if sold to merchants. If sold, the retail price would be around 7,000 yen." So, let's start with.

"I have a total of 30 bottles. I am considering 7,000 yen per bottle."

30 bottles were the pre-determined quantity.

I didn't know the SHOP's limit, but somehow, I could buy as many as I wanted if I had the money. 

However, to add a premium feel and consider that PET bottles might not be readily accepted. It seemed reasonable to start with this amount. Moreover, if I made too much money here, it might look suspicious for a stranded person to have a large quantity of unusual goods. Maybe it's better to make some funds here and then move to another town, posing as a traveling merchant to avoid unnecessary scrutiny. Churches and the like may not be present in every town.

I was contemplating such things during her brief silence. So, I couldn't immediately grasp the meaning of her next words.

"Understood. Then I will purchase all 30 bottles. Would silver coins be acceptable for payment? Or gold coins, or even Shinoki Great Gold Coins, if you prefer."

"Huh?"

Even to myself, I must have sounded surprisingly dumbfounded. Almost an instant decision without any negotiation.

The time she spent in thought was less than five seconds.

"A-ah, thank you."

I managed to say only that much and extended my hand. Miss Cherina shook my hand.

-Divinity level has increased to 5-

-Container capacity has become 30-

Whoa, it went up by two in one go. It seems the container increases by 5 for each level. Cherina called the man again and had him bring something. The wooden box he brought was filled with gold and silver coins.

"With silver coins, it would be 210 pieces, but if gold coins, then 21 pieces. It's difficult to exchange around here, but for Shinoki Great Gold Coins, it would be one piece plus one gold coin."

There are various types of currency, but wouldn't it be nice to have a coin equivalent to 100 yen? Why isn't there one?

"Then, I'll go with gold coins, please."

"Understood."

I began taking out the PET bottles one by one.

"I'm not used to handling this bag as an item bag..."

"I understand. It's difficult at first, isn't it?"

Finally, I took out all 30 empty PET bottles. She handed me gold coins and a small bag.

"Please check. I'll include that small bag as a service. So..."

I raised my face while confirming the edges of the gold coins with my nails.

-Hemp small bag = 420 yen-

"Feel free to come to the Veriero Trading Company if you have items to retrieve. Thank you."

She's a formidable woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test