24 December 2023

Shop 13.1

Test

Chapter 13.1. Glasses Guy In The Wilderness


The first place I headed was the main street.

Having leisurely strolled along the main street in front of the inn, I decided to walk along the stalls on the circular plaza at the end and the main street that turned perpendicular to it.

The stalls were quite interesting.

Tarpaulins for shade lined up along the outer edge of the circular plaza, with various goods displayed underneath.

It seemed like many shops dealt with pottery. There were pots, cups, dishes, and items resembling clay pots and teapots.

Since there were many shops selling pots, they might also be selling their contents, but I didn't confirm that.

The two items I was looking for were being sold in this stall street.

Moreover, they were right next to each other.

Just to be sure, I also checked the main street, but the prices seemed high, so I returned to the stalls.

Although there were no price tags anywhere, it seemed like the stalls might be more expensive, judging by the appearance of people entering and leaving the shops. Of course, there was no way to confirm that unless I checked.

Unless I got ripped off.

"Hey, it's hot again today."

I stood in front of the shop as friendly as possible.

The shopkeeper, sitting cross-legged, looked up while drinking water. He had an Arabian descent face, but his hair was a vibrant green, which surprised me a bit.

Could he be from Sugamo?

"Ah, well, if it suddenly gets cold, it might impending natural disaster sign. If the gods decided this land should be hot, we have to follow."

"I see, that's a profound saying."

His reply was more intellectual than I expected, and it caught me off guard.

"...Those are unusual shoes; they don't seem suitable for this region. What's your budget?"

The items lined up in his shop were mainly sandals and leather shoes.

Even though he called them leather shoes, they were not the kind that would go well with the suits I was wearing. They were more like boots, resembling bags made of leather that wrapped around the feet.

Those seemed sturdy.

"Don't you have price tags?"

"...I adjust the price based on the person."

Too honest!

"I see. Please be kind with the price. What material are these sandals made of?"

I picked up a pair of sandals in front of me. Since most people in the town wore these sandals, they seemed to be the bestsellers.

"They're made by layering the bark of a large tree that came down the river and hardening it with sap. They are very durable, and you can wear them for many years. They are incomparable to your worn-out shoes. I can let them go for 3,000 yen as a special deal."

That's a bit much considering the state of my current shoes.

Also, the leather is not animal-based; it's plant-based. That was a bit surprising.

"That's a fantastic item. Indeed, it's no wonder everyone in town is wearing them. It seems like the people here are quite generous."

Considering that many people in the city were barefoot, it was hard to believe that people in this world would pay 3,000 yen—three silver coins—for sandals. It would probably be more reasonable to expect around 1,000 yen.

"I can go for 2,500 yen."

"A bit hesitant about the price."

Actually, I didn't have much intention of buying these sandals in the first place.

Ideally, I wanted short boots. The roads in this world are too harsh for Japanese people.

But considering the remaining 5,549 yen, I might have to settle for the sandals for now.

The boots I saw earlier probably won't go below 5,000 yen.

Depending on the price of the sandals. I might end up buying the leather shoes from the shop for 3,780 yen.

If I go to the guild with my current worn-out leather shoes, I'll be looked down upon. Shoes are absolutely necessary.

"Oh well, it seems that sandals are considered luxury items, but the price is reasonable considering the effort."

I felt the shopkeeper's eyes glint.

"I like people who understand the value of things. About the size of your feet..."

"Well then, what about these boots here? They seem to require a similar amount of effort. Could you sell them for 2,500 yen?"

With an excellent sales smile, the shopkeeper stopped and looked wide-eyed.

"Who would sell these leather boots made from sturdy buffalo leather for less than 20,000 yen? These are high-quality leather boots."

I see. Negotiating from 20,000 yen for the boots. Maybe it could go down to around 14,000 yen?

Either way, it became clear that I couldn't afford the boots, so I'll have to settle for the sandals.

"Oh, these boots were indeed the better choice. However, they might not sell well at that price. So, how about making those sandals a bargain? What do you think about selling them for 800 yen for today's meal?"

"Oh, no way. 1,500 is the limit."

"No, no, even at that price, it might be hard to sell in large quantities. I'll help with your sales, so how about 850?"

"Don't try to haggle. 1,400."

The shopkeeper frowned.

"950."

"1350, and that's final."

I sighed in response to the shopkeeper who looked down at me.

"Let's settle for 1,300."

"Hmph, a stubborn one. Show me your feet."

"Thank you very much."

I don't know how reasonable the price is, but considering my funds, this is the limit.

My remaining funds is 4,249 yen.

I hope I'm not getting ripped off too much...

As the shopkeeper reached for my feet, I tried to take off the shoes, and the soles came off at that very moment.

"I should have fixed them a bit more."

The shopkeeper sighed.

"I'll probably visit again soon. Are you always doing business here?"

"I'm always here. I go out to buy during the rainy season, so I'll be away from this town."

"When is the rainy season?"

"It's still a long way off."

"Then, that's fine."

I nodded, and the shopkeeper said in a bored tone, "Traveling merchants always say the same thing. Don't expect too much and wait."

"Please expect it."

In fact, if business doesn't go well today or tomorrow, my life might be over.

I'm used to being poor, but I don't want to go to the old days.

"Well then..."

I switched to sandals, holding the old shoes in my hand, and moved to the next stall.

"I don't want to waste too much time, so I'd appreciate it if you could sell it at a reasonable price."

The shopkeeper, who had been watching our conversation, smiled when I showed him a smile.

This one shouldn't be too troublesome.

I bought a sturdy hemp bag, similar to the soccer ball Hagg had for exactly 1,000 yen.

My remaining funds is 3,249 yen.

Failure is not an option.

I psyched myself up and stepped onto the main street.

――――

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test