23 December 2023

Shop 12.1

Test

Chapter 12.1. Naked M-shaped Spread In The Wilderness


On the second day in town, the fatigue had considerably eased thanks to the long-awaited bed. 

Though muscle soreness persisted, it didn't bother me much as long as I didn't continue walking in the wilderness. 

What bothered me more was the remaining money—only 9,549 yen.

Considering accommodation for today and tomorrow, it effectively meant having 1,500 yen.

Before saving, I needed to figure out how to earn more money. 

I geared up with determination.

Since I had slept like mud the previous night, I wiped my body with a wet handkerchief without changing my clothes. 

There seemed to be no provided towels. 

According to Hagg from yesterday, there were no baths or showers in this area. 

If you wanted a bath, you had to go to a river or the sea, which was tough for a beginner in this different world.

While performing the acrobatics of wiping my body with a small handkerchief, the door suddenly opened without warning.

"Customer! Would you like to order breakfast? Ahahaha!"

I had one foot on the bed, precisely in the process of wiping around the crotch. 

Narnia, the daughter of the Whale Inn, entered the room with a bang, initially speaking energetically but turning into a scream towards the end.

"...Could you at least knock?"

It's not like I cared about being seen naked by a child.

But there's something off about someone coming in at the most embarrassing pose.

I calmly finished wiping, changed into the spare underwear and Y-shirt I had prepared, and, since there was no change of pants, I reluctantly put on the same ones, making sure to dust off as much dirt as possible during the night.

"There you go."

"Are you okay now?"

Narnia peeked into the room as I slightly opened the door. 

She entered slowly after confirming that I had finished changing.

"Customer... please use a lock. It's startling."

"Huh? Is it my fault? Oh well, I'll be more careful next time."

"Why do you think we gave you the key? If the door is unlocked, people can come and go freely, right?"

"Is that so?"

"At least, that's normal in this country. Most places are the same since other merchants lock their doors. I think."

I see. It's my fault. 

I somehow got a vague idea of why Narnia is knowledgeable. 

She must have gained knowledge from talking to merchants from various countries.

"So, what brings you here?"

"Oh, it seemed like you hadn't set off yet even though the sun was up, so I thought maybe you'd like to order breakfast."

"Is there a dining room or something?"

This building was not the typical fantasy novel setup with the first floor as a tavern and the second floor as an inn. 

When you entered, there was a counter right away, and the rooms were packed tightly behind it. 

There seemed to be a small courtyard, but I don't recall there being a dining room.

"You can order takeout. The price is the same as eating outside, but if you go through us, there won't be any strange mix-ins."

I see. Not bad. 

They're probably taking a margin, but it's not a bad system.

"If possible, I'd like to eat in a spacious place. If I mention this place, will the order come without any mix-ins?"

"Oh, that's fine. There's a restaurant called Lizard Tail Inn three doors to the left across the street. You'll recognize it by the picture of a lizard on the sign. Order breakfast from the Whale Inn there."

"Got it. Well then, I'll go... Oh, by the way, I'd like to stay here again today."

"Then, please tell my father on the first floor."

"Understood."

I paid the unresponsive innkeeper with a silver coin and left for the main street. 

My remaining funds is 5,549 yen.

I had completely torn through the red line.

――――

Lizard Tail Inn was easy to spot with its notebook-sized wooden sign, featuring a reddish lizard carving. 

Upon entering, this place had a more fantasy-like appearance. 

There were six round tables and a counter with 12 seats, quite spacious. 

There was also a staircase leading to the second floor, but I wondered if it was different from an inn upstairs. 

No inn would provide a delivery service, right?

There were only three customers—one at the counter and two at the same table. 

I chose a counter seat at the edge to avoid them. 

A similarly grumpy middle-aged man approached lazily.

"...What do you want?"

"I heard at the Whale Inn that if I come here from there, I can order breakfast. Can I place an order?"

"...300 yen."

He has no courtesy whatsoever. 

Is this the standard in this world?

I took 30 copper coins from my pocket and placed them on the counter. 

The man, seemingly understanding the weight, silently retreated.

As expected, it was quite cheap. 

My remaining funds is 5,249 yen.

I was looking around the shop again, the foundational pillars were wooden, and the wall materials were sun-dried bricks, the same construction I'd seen before. 

All the wooden windows were fully open to let in light, but the area around me, in the farthest corner, was a bit dim. 

Though currently unlit, there were candle stands along the wall. 

The candles were removed, but the melted wax stuck to the stand, so it was undoubtedly used.

The entrance was wide open, and occasionally, carriages passed by on the main street, along with people carrying large loads. 

There were also non-dwarves besides Hagg, humanoid creatures with animal-like ears, and two-legged lizard-like beings. 

Were they also classified as humans? 

Watching these unusual forms in a culture that didn't fit Europe or the Middle East, I deeply felt. 

"Ah, I'm in a different world."

"..."

Silently, what was placed in front of me was bread and soup. 

The bread was directly placed on the counter and no spoon. 

It seemed like I was supposed to slurp directly from the bowl. 

The bread was a dark brown, about the size of a clenched fist. 

The soup... probably had a few slices of onion. It's a murky soup.

My house was honestly poor. 

My parents were not remarkable individuals. 

I don't feel like talking about it because I don't want to remember. 

So, I'm usually fine with simple meals and have no likes or dislikes. 

In fact, it's more challenging to find something I can't eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test