04 December 2023

Shop 0.2

Test

Prologue Last Part


It was a room in an ordinary business hotel, found anywhere. 

Though the genre of hotels varies widely in quality, today's hotel room is seasoned. 

First and foremost, the room was filled with stains on the walls, leaks, strange odors, and odd leaking sounds. 

The corners of the dimly lit room were dusty, and the room itself was cramped and uneven due to pillars and plumbing spaces.

Well, that wasn't the main issue; what bothered him the most was the familiar symbol on the table, somewhat apologetically placed next to the bed.

-No smoking-

What a ridiculous mark.

Damn it.

In a room like this, who cares if I smoke a cigarette? 

In fact, doesn't this room smell worse than cigarettes?!

Yeah, it stinks. Yeah, it stinks. 

So, even if I smoke a little here, no one will notice, right? 

Alright, let's smoke.

I took a new pack of cigarettes from my carry-on bag, removed the plastic, and uncovered the silver foil. 

By turning it over, a distinctive scent hit my nose.

Hmm. Yeah, definitely need this after work.

I also took out a portable ashtray and a lighter, all set.

Just as I was about to put a cigarette in my mouth and light it, I remembered my usual routine and took out a small wooden carving from my carry-on bag.

Roughly made, it looked like a combination of the kanji for "soil" and a circle, resembling the character "画".

It was a crude creation as if a grade schooler had made it during craft time. 

And indeed, that's what happened; I made it during craft time when I was in elementary school.

Why do I have such a thing? 

It all started when the teacher asked me a question after I finished carving it during craft time.

"What did you make?"

Only then did I realize. 

What is this? 

Without thinking, a mysterious symbol is carved with a carving knife.

Troublesome, very troublesome. 

Looking back now, the teacher's question probably didn't have any meaning. 

Most likely, she just asked as part of a casual conversation.

But back then, I was an overly earnest and, dare I say, foolish child. 

So, I thought it had to be something. 

Therefore...

"Phew... Thanks again for safely finishing another crappy business trip today."

A habit since that day. 

Sometimes I complain about it. 

Original god. 

Laugh if you want. 

It's been somewhat helpful for mental stability.

Today, there's no annoying boss, no condescending female colleague, no mocking peer. 

That alone makes it a happy day.

But seriously, how many times do I have to tell the general affairs department to reserve a smoking room??

They really have no memory. 

Yet they're stingy with expenses...

Oh well, forget it.

If I think too much, I'll get tired. 

Haven't I learned that already from dealing with the world directly?

I suddenly remembered the cigarette still in my mouth.

Right, if I light this, everything will be fine. Right?

I sat on the edge of the bed, one leg on my carry-on bag, in that position, putting my finger on the lighter's flint.

Maybe.

If I had been more attentive to my surroundings.

Even in a cheap business hotel in the middle of nowhere.

That onion-like rotten smell and...

The sound looks like an air leak.

Maybe.

If I hadn't been in a rush to smoke in the room after a stupid meeting.

Maybe.

It might not have happened.

The moment the flint of the lighter made a satisfying sound.

The world exploded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test