30 December 2023

Introverted Archer 5

Test

5. Rational School Life!


"Ugh..."

Mornings are tough. Over the past week, I've spent a lot more time in the dungeon, so the sunlight feels even brighter now. 

My level has increased significantly, but daily life hasn't changed much. Take, for example, my commute right now. Just walking alone while gazing at the city.

I attend the Leonic Adventurer Academy. It's technically a proper high school, offering classes to nurture top-tier adventurers—or so they claim.

The facilities are well-equipped, and the students are skilled, given the relatively high entrance exam scores. 

However, there's a prevailing ideology of meritocracy.

"Hey, drop out of the next dungeon practical, you trash! Having someone like you in the party lowers our score!"

"But, my score will..."

"Ah? I don't give a damn! It's your fault for being born with subpar abilities!"

Oh, they're at it again.

It's been only about a month since I enrolled, but I've witnessed this exchange multiple times. 

In this academy, students without strength are persecuted and eliminated. What sets it apart from bullying is labeling the weak as "lacking in ability," shifting blame onto the ones getting criticized.

The academy was hesitant to intervene too much, fearing that cracking down on such interactions might lead to issues in dungeons without clear evidence. It's an irrational argument nonetheless. 

Dungeons don't always allow for optimal conditions. Powerful monsters may spawn, or the terrain might make navigation difficult.

Yet, the absurdity lies in that some believe creating a favorable environment for themselves is only possible by eliminating fellow students. It's laughable. Even if you can't control an enemy, exposing your inability to utilize even your allies reveals your lack of skill.

I reach the classroom and take my seat.

Well then, until homeroom starts, let's secure a rational amount of sleep. Morning sleep is the best, after all.

"Hey! Good morning!"

As I lay my head on the desk, someone started tapping my back vigorously.

Ouch. And that high-pitched voice. A female student?

When I lift my head, the girl sitting next to me waves with a bright smile.

"Good morning, Eimu! It's such a nice morning; it'd be a waste to sleep!"

It's none of her business. But wait, who is this girl again?

Her long, beautifully pink hair is braided on the sides. Her sky-blue eyes, staring straight at me, are as clear as marbles.

A lively and innocent impression. Come to think of it, I vaguely remember talking to her before...?

"Geez, Eimu, your reaction is terrible! Memory loss? I'm Hisakake! Hisakake Hina!"

Right, this girl is Hoshikake-san.

I completely forgot her name because I'm not very interested in others. Some time ago, she asked me for help with studying, and I helped her with her homework.

No, even before that, we might have talked a few times.

Wait a minute. Wasn't this the Hoshikake-san that the delinquent who pushed me said something about? 

I don't know what he misunderstood, but because of this girl, I got attacked by that delinquent.

"...Did you really get amnesia?"

I want to complain, but blaming her would be unfair. I endure my feelings.

"It's okay. Good morning, Hoshikake-san."

"Geez, just call me Hina! We're super close friends, right?"

Oh, are we? When did we become super close friends? And who says "super close friends" nowadays?

This lacks rationality. I'm not good at dealing with people who are different from me. 

Perhaps, in the past, I would have casually brushed off such conversations.

"By the way, did you decide? The name. I think 'Forever Friends' would be great."

What are we talking about?

Because I've been ignoring her, I have no idea what she's talking about.

"Geez, Eimu, you really have amnesia! It's the team name for today's dungeon practice!"

"Dungeon practice...?"

"Yeah! They said we're going to the dungeon in pairs with adjacent seats. So, let's come up with a team name!"

Wait? Am I going to the dungeon with Hina today?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test