25 December 2023

Earth Dungeon 117.1

Test

Chapter 117.1. Thaw


Spring had arrived even in the ruins. The sky was clear, stretching endlessly in a vivid blue, and the air, though a bit cool, no longer demanded heavy clothing.

In front of the Amatsugahara Corporation headquarters, Sakimori felt the arrival of spring due to the warmth. On the ground, the snow covering the ruins of buildings and houses had melted, and from the cracked and crumbling asphalt, weeds were already peeking through. It was a desolate scene that seemed more like the aftermath of a ruined world than the arrival of spring.

Nevertheless, this year seemed better to Sakimori as he surveyed their surroundings.

Because in previous years, there would be frozen corpses or bodies devoured by monsters appearing, and there were places with unbearable stench. This year, it seemed such things were absent, and the residents of the ruined city were cheerfully cleaning up broken walls and debris from the winter outdoors.

"Did anyone freeze to death this year?"

"As far as I can see, there's none around here, right?"

"I don't think there were any starving deaths either."

"Well then, let's start working with the arrival of spring."

People chatted and laughed, starting their work with enthusiasm. Unlike the previous year, there were no such bright smiles. A bit pleased, Sakimori looked at the people with a gentle gaze.

Last year, emaciated individuals would finally search for food, stumbling out like ghosts from buildings, plundering the belongings of the frozen dead, and stripping clothes off the starved corpses. Then, they would discard the bodies in slime-filled areas.

For the inhabitants of the ruined city, spring meant starting activities without the dark expression of surviving yet another winter without hope. That was the season.

This year showed a completely different aspect.

[For now, you've become the savior of the ruined city, haven't you, Sakimori-san?]

A droplet of ectoplasm floated in front of me, cute and smiling. I grinned, feeling comforted by its cuteness.

[It's just a small part for now. The road ahead is long.]

[No, thanks to what master did, there must be people saved in other areas too. Yukihana-chan thinks you can be proud and hold your head high.]

Yukihana, standing beside me, conveyed her thoughts and praised. Indeed, the existence of Core Stones was likely seen as items breaking the situation of enduring hunger and cold.

Wooden sticks and charcoal provided warmth, and Coppepan was a lifeline for sustenance. Starting a fire with wooden sticks or charcoal, drinking initial potions or powdered milk, and eating Coppepan. Just that could significantly increase the chances of surviving the winter.

Those with a keen eye were probably doing more. In the ruins, many had recently dropped to skill level 1. Temporally speaking, there were many about to reach level 1 soon. And at level 1, coordinating could likely defeat Hobgoblins.

The profits of D-rank cores had been increasing in the equivalent exchange store. Moreover, it reached 10,000 units per month. I assumed that level 2 skills were beginning to appear. The increasing activity of monster hunting by people everywhere was evidence of that. Human motivation is truly driven by money and food. Maybe it's okay to praise myself a little.

[That's right. Yukihana-chan is also celebrating the achievements of the couple. Let's be proud of this.]

The intensely appealing Shizuku-san proudly puffed out her flat chest with a smug expression. She had become an increasingly appealing beauty recently.

[No one said anything about being a couple...]

Yukihana chuckled while scratching her cheek, but I just smiled faintly, considering it usual, and approached the jeep.

Several cardboard boxes were stacked in the back seat of the jeep, containing food, drinks, and other supplies. I believed there were survivors at our destination, so I loaded up on goods.

[Money, art, food, and alcohol. Hehehe, it's the basics of diplomacy.]

[It's an old-fashioned method, but I think it's effective.]

The cardboard boxes rattled as they moved, so I opened them with a skeptical look.

"I protect Sakimori-shan!"

The usual young girl shrunk inside the box. The moment the box opened, she declared with a determined look and a raised hand. I picked her up with a wry smile at her childish words and gently put her outside.

"It's dangerous from here on. Can you protect my house for me?"

I stroked her head gently, and she nodded with a sniffling sound.

"Got it! Sakimori-shan's house, I protect it!"

"Alright, I'm counting on you. I'll be away on a little journey. It's supposed to be a day trip, but still."

I patted the head of the sincere young girl. She waved happily and fluttered back into the building. Watching a child with innocent actions somehow brought relief. She probably ran around playing house, holding a broom to protect the home.

"At last, we can start sowing seeds. Oh, but first, we have to plow."

"I learned how to use a cultivator. Leave it to me! I've already finished metalworking, too."

"I have to apply purification. Some places are rusted or dirty."

"We're planning to sew clothes for spring."

"We're going to create our brand."

Children chatted happily, focusing on their work. Despite being unavoidable, it felt strange for kids to work after so many years.

Now, let's get to work.

I hopped into the jeep and covered my body with a black robe using the [Shadow Figure] skill. The usual attire.

"Here, for Snowflake."

I handed a robe made with [Shadow Figure] to Yukihana. She looked at it with a subtle expression. Was she dissatisfied?

"This outfit suits Yukihana-chan."

"Don't mess with me. Who travels in a modified kimono in what world? It's too suspicious. And aren't you cold? Did you know you were rumored to be a perverted flirt during winter?"

I gave Yukihana a disapproving look as she twirled the hem of her kimono. She might be resistant to the cold as a winter fairy, but acting in such a thin outfit seemed foolish.

"You should have told me that earlier. However, I have a magic ring for defense. The kimono is not a problem."

She showed me the ring she had put on her index finger. She had shared my ring. Since only one was left, I needed to ask Serika next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test