04 November 2023

Seeker 226.2

Test

Chapter 226.2. The Self-proclaimed Wandering Adventurer Onee-san


"Wow, you guys really saved my skin back there. When that Hydra was chasing me, even I, as tough as I am, thought it might be the end of my life. Oh, but I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm Rebecca, a wandering adventurer traveling the world's most remote places."

"A wandering adventurer? Not an adventurer, huh?"

Yuzuki asked, and the female wandering adventurer, Rebecca-san, smiled slyly.

"You asked the right question! When you say adventurer, it feels like a profession for making money, right? My adventures aren't about that. It's more about living a life filled with dreams and romance, you know?"

"Hmm. So, does that mean you're just eccentric?"

"Hahaha, that's pretty much right."

Rebecca-san answered with a laugh, not taking offense at Yuzuki's blunt comment.

She seemed to have a straightforward personality.

"So, who are you guys? You don't seem like ordinary folks, considering you're in a place like this. Your strength, which doesn't match your youth, is also quite noticeable."

"Well, if you ask who we are..."

I explained our situation to Rebecca-san, from our journey from the south, passing through the Dwarf Town Dagmahar and the World Tree, to our current destination of the capital of the Holy Kingdom.

Of course, I didn't mention that we came from another world, and I kept the details about Limit Break somewhat vague.

Rebecca-san got excited when she heard the word "World Tree".

"Wow! You guys came from the World Tree? Did you see the World Tree with your own eyes? Is it true that there's a paradise for kind-hearted monsters?"

"Well, yes. We met a Unicorn and had a conversation, and we were guided through the World Tree."

"We also saw other creatures like Pixies, and, what was it, Quetzalcoatl... a giant snake with wings. There were various things."

"Lucky you! I actually came to this Monster Forest to see the World Tree for myself. But they say that only good-hearted humans can enter the World Tree's forest. While I consider myself good-hearted, I wasn't sure about bringing other adventurers with me. So, I thought, 'Why not be brave and come alone?' But look at this mess. I never expected to encounter a Hydra."

"Huh...? Only good-hearted humans can enter the World Tree's forest? That's the first time I've heard of that."

"Really? It's a pretty well-known story."

According to Rebecca-san, the World Tree's forest had a mysterious force that prevented evil humans from getting close. 

Even if you thought you were walking toward the World Tree, you might end up hopelessly lost in the Monster Forest. 

We hadn't heard such stories when we gathered information in town, so it was a bit surprising.

Worst case, even if we wanted to go, it might have been a wild goose chase.

Nevertheless, it was still a world where vague concepts like good and evil, mysterious forces and fluffy notions prevailed...

As I pondered this, Rebecca-san approached me, her eyes gleaming. 

She leaned in close and whispered in my ear.

"By the way, boy, it looks like you have a nice little party in both of your hands. How's that going for you? Hmm? Are you on 'good terms' with either of them? Want to talk to onee-san about it?"

"Umm... Well..."

She's really getting close all of a sudden. 

Her breath brushed against me, making me a bit uncomfortable. 

Also, I don't think I'm at an age where I should be referred to as a "boy".

If I were to respond with "both of them" to her earlier question, I wonder how she'd react...

As I was contemplating this, my right arm was suddenly tugged. 

Rebecca-san was on my left, so it came from the opposite side. 

Then, I felt a soft, plush sensation pressing against my arm.

I looked over to see Kazane-san with a somewhat sulky expression, hugging my arm.

"Mu. Daichi-kun, no cheating."

"Huh...? N-No, it's not like that..."

"I understand. Right now, Daichi-kun, you were nervous. It's only okay for Daiji-kun to be nervous around me and Hotaru-chan."

"Oh... I'm sorry...?"

What, is she using psychic powers or something? Was it written all over my face? 

But "no being nervous" is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

I felt like I didn't have a say in this situation. 

Looking at Yuzuki, she had positioned herself between Rebecca-san and me, spreading her arms as if to act as a barricade.

"No, no, ma'am. Senpai belongs to both of us, Yuzuki and Daichi-kun. No one else is allowed to get involved."

"Oh, I see. Is that how it is? You're a cute young man, and it's hard to ignore you."

Rebecca-san raised both her hands, making it clear that she had no intention of causing trouble, as she spoke to Yuzuki and Daichi-kun.

And so, we continued walking through the Beast's Forest, discussing various topics. 

Eventually, the forest opened up, and we found ourselves in a place with a clear view.

We stood on top of a small hill, overlooking what seemed to be a grassy meadow below. 

Further ahead, we could see a village surrounded by fields of wheat. 

The time was past dusk, and the sky above was a mix of deep blue and twilight hues.

"Yay, we made it back to civilization in one piece! All thanks to you guys. Come on, everyone, let's go to that village and have a drink. The drink after a near-death experience always tastes the best!"

Rebecca-san happily bounded down the hill. We looked at each other, sharing a knowing smile, and followed her down the slope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test