19 November 2023

Earth Dungeon 98.1

Test

Chapter 98.1. Electric Lights


Minamoto Fuuka bowed in greeting, then got into the armored vehicle with Serika and headed back. It seems their business is finished. Perhaps she's a bit afraid of the ruined city. Her gaze towards me felt strange, but I wondered what it was. There seemed to be emotions other than fear, but it was clear that they weren't favorable.

As I was moving to the basement of the headquarters of the Amatsugahara Corporation, tilted my head in confusion while watching Ooki-kun, who was diligently installing equipment in the pitch darkness with a large flashlight and a manual in hand.

"Serika is always calm and collected, like a mischievous little devil. She was surprised that Sakimori, who could tease her like that existed. It's a kind of awe."

"Oh, I see."

While agreeing with Karin's words, I observed the generator. Can an amateur install this? It's labeled as Type 25 or something.

"According to the manual, it seems easy to install, aniki."

"Nid help?"

Tilting her head, the little girl tries to head toward Ooki-kun's side, so I hold her in my arms. 

"Humans can get electrocuted, so stay away."

"I'm a human too, you know? Lately, I feel like I'm not being treated as one!"

Thinking it's just my imagination, I watch the work. Of course, it's not only Ooki-kun who is working; many people are working together.

After considerable effort, they brought it here and are now setting it up. It would have been nice if Serika had helped with the installation.

After a while, the work finally finishes, and Ooki-kun and the others, sweating profusely, sit down. Junt and the others hand them cups filled with water. Yeah, they're kind kids.

"Well then, try turning on the switch."

[Be careful because people parasitized by mushrooms will gather.]

[People parasitized by mushrooms? What's that?]

Shizuku-san, who says incomprehensible things as usual, warns that when the generator is activated, people parasitized by mushrooms will gather.

Before turning on the switch, Ryuko had already confirmed that the cables weren't broken inside the building. It's dangerous if a fire breaks out due to overcurrent as soon as the switch is turned on. The light bulbs have also been replaced.

Everyone watches Ooki-kun, who is about to press the button, from a distance. It's the restoration of electricity after ten years.

"Um, why is everyone staying away from me? I have a really bad feeling about this."

"We're staying away so you don't get electrocuted. Look, Ooki-kun is wearing rubber gloves, right?"

"The one for toilet cleaning! I don't think this can prevent electrocution, though?"

"Rubber doesn't conduct electricity, you know? So as long as you have rubber gloves, you'll be fine."

Stating that with confidence, Ooki-kun looks suspicious. I learned in my childhood that insulators don't conduct electricity, so it should be fine.

[There is a risk of rubber melting and causing electrocution.]

[Should I let Shadow Tiger do it?]

Helpless, I switch to Shadow Tiger. I press the button with a cat punch.

"It's a touching event. But it feels a bit anticlimactic."

"We gave Ooki-kun an honor, too."

"Well, it's a moving moment! Wow~!"

Although Karin and I look disappointed together, Shadow Tiger, alone, is already applauding. It's premature.

"Myan."

Shadow Tiger presses the button. There's a clattering sound, and the basement, which was pitch dark, vibrates with a humming noise. After a flickering moment, it becomes bright.

"Wow, so this is an electric light, Hana!"

"It's bright!"

"We can stay up late now."

"I like the light!"

The children smile, cheer, and frolic as they look at the electric lights. The adults are also impressed by the light.

"Oh, I see. The kids have never seen electric lights..."

Crossing his arms, Shingen looks sad, but considering their age, they probably hadn't seen electric lights. After all, they can't stay outside in the outer city at night.

"Father, I also saw electric lights when I was a child."

"I saw them for the first time in the abandoned town."

Katsuyori and Ooki-kun gaze at the lights as if they were dazzling. Yeah, it's been a long time since I saw electric lights too.

"Let's start the inspection inside the building. If you find places with smoke or warm walls, have Ryƫko inspect them. After finishing, stop the generator once. After observing for a while, restart it and start using it."

"Yes!"

"Let's go, everyone!"

"Honda Tadakatsu is here!"

Clapping their hands and giving instructions to the excited group, I feel the electric current flowing after a long time. Even if Ryuko inspects, there might be some oversights.

Everyone nods and leaves. Also, we need to decide on the operating hours since the generator uses a lot of diesel. ...Fuel remains a bottleneck after all.

Thinking of checking as well, I leave the security to Shadow Tiger and Shadow Snake, and I start walking. Even with set operating hours, being able to use electricity is a good thing. I walk lightly.

Three days later, after finishing all inspections and verification of operation, everything was done. There were some issues in a few places, but there were no fatal problems with the overall operation. Japanese construction technology is excellent; even after ten years of disuse, there weren't many issues.

All the executives gather in the headquarters' meeting room to confirm the current situation and discuss preparations for winter.

Winter will be harsh. We don't want people freezing or starving. We decided to point out the problems together, but...

"We have more than enough stock of meat, vegetables, wheat, and rice. More than enough, really."

I also smile wryly after hearing Shingen murmur with a puzzled look while looking at the documented stockpiles of food in the warehouse.

"Half a year ago, it was a struggle just to get enough to eat, but now... This much, thanks to Core Store's power. But, even considering that, does the inner town have such abundant food reserves that it can supply the ruined city?"

With his arms crossed, Katsuyori looks perplexed, and others tilt their heads in confusion. I agree. What's going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test