11 November 2023

Earth Dungeon 94.1

Test

Chapter 94.1. Taira Family


The Western-style mansion stands out considerably in Japan. This mansion, owned by the Taira Family with its vast grounds, is a luxurious building reminiscent of the 18th-century Western aristocracy, despite being located in the inner town. 

In contrast to the Minamoto family, who favor traditional Japanese style, the Taira Family embraces Western aesthetics. In times of discord, this preference is made known within and outside the household.

Amidst such a mansion, Taira Konoha, led by the maids, heads towards the dining room. Despite the chaos from yesterday's battle with the Dragoons, things have finally settled down.

The view outside the corridor's windows reveals a pitch-black exterior of the mansion, with a spacious garden befitting the Taira Family. The garden is illuminated by faintly glowing exterior lights, casting light on meticulously arranged flower beds.

Walking nervously, Konoha looks at the maid and inquires.

"How are your injuries?"

"I'm fine, young lady. Are you okay?"

The maid who protected her has awakened and is now serving calmly again. While grateful for her loyalty, Konoha furrows her brow at the meaning behind the maid's words.

"I understand. There are many problems... but for now, let's pray that things go as I wish. To gain power."

Gripping a small bottle in her pocket, she nods with determination.

"You seem to have a surprising desire for approval, young lady. If those you call your subordinates are truly loyal, then it's fine."

"Keep it a secret, alright? That I've secretly been nurturing subordinates."

Putting a finger to her lips, I make a playful gesture, causing the maid to be increasingly bewildered and receive a freezing gaze.

"...Do you really think that will work? Honestly."

"Well, I believe Mother understands that too."

Exhaling a "hmph" and changing her expression to seriousness, I acknowledge that my family is aware of her capabilities. She's not a fool; even as the Taira Family's leftover, she has been trained in social circles and within the family.

Being straightforward doesn't mean being naive. It doesn't imply stupidity. I understand the current situation well enough.

My family would never have imagined that she would have her subordinates, especially skilled ones. I don't have connections or money. That's precisely why it's an opportunity. Determined to make my presence known, I reach the dining room, and as the maid opens the door, I step inside.

A golden chandelier hangs from the ceiling, illuminating the room brightly. High-quality furnishings are tastefully arranged, and in the center, there is a table with a pure white tablecloth that could comfortably accommodate about eight people. As expected, they don't use the kind of long table nobles used, making conversation difficult. Still, the table is of considerable size.

At the head of the table sits the mother, with the eldest son, Kiyoshi-niisama, and the eldest daughter, Flare-neesama, sitting across from each other. All three have blonde hair and blue eyes. Kiyoshi-niisama, with narrow eyes, almost resembles a fox. He's silent and doesn't speak much.

Flare-neshama has wavy hair and an imperious gaze that she can't fully conceal.

And sitting at the head of the table is Mother. Mother Masako, with straight long hair, extends her glamorous golden hair down to her waist. Her gentle eyes might give the impression of a kind personality to those who meet her for the first time. She's a naturalized citizen of Japan.

She holds the title of the Empress of the Taira, one of the three families that dominate the inner town. Since her father's passing, she has maintained her position as the head of the family with a strong hand.

"Have I kept you waiting?"

"No, not at all."

Giving a nod of acknowledgment to her mother, Konoha takes her seat and notices the cutlery arranged on the table. There are many forks and knives laid out.

"Um, is it a course meal today?"

Usually, dishes are served on large platters for everyone to help themselves. A course meal? No one in our family eats in such a complicated way for regular meals. It's reserved for welcoming guests or special occasions. Is today special? It must be. I'm not that clueless.

It's rare for the entire family to gather. Usually, Mother is absent. The busy Mother rarely eats together. Most often, it's Kiyoshi-niisama, who is a student and has meals with me. Flare-oneesama, who is turning 20, works together, so she's also rarely present.

This time, it's unusual for everyone to be present. It must be something special.

"Yes. Since everyone is finally together. Besides, I want to celebrate your achievements."

Despite being likely over 40, Mother looks young. She could easily be mistaken for someone in her early 30s. Mother, who spares no expense on her beauty, claps her hands with a smile that radiates warmth.

"Thank you, Mother."

I tilt my head slightly, my lips twitching in a slight smile. Seeing this, Mother lightly nods and directs her gaze to the servants standing by the wall. Following her signal, the meal begins.

Amidst the faint sounds of knives and forks, Mother smiles and looks at me.

"It's amazing that you annihilated the Dragoons, Konoha-chan."

"Yes, I never thought Konoha could exterminate Dragoons."

"That's right. I'm proud of my little sister."

In response to Mother's words, Flare-neesama and Kiyoshi-niisama follow suit, praising me. I accept their compliments with a genuine smile.

"Dragoons are dangerous creatures among dragon types. After all, they are numerous, and their attacks are troublesome. The breath of a dragon can cause tremendous damage."

"Um, what happened to the dungeon?"

"The army destroyed it with excavation bombs designed for dungeon destruction. You can't do foolish things like entering inside."

"That's a relief."

I feel relieved to hear about it. It would be terrible if that monster appeared again. Even now, just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine.

Rei's words disappointed me. It's very Spartan. I don't need lethal techniques. I'm too afraid of someone who would become a supporter of someone like that.

"Well then, I'll occasionally need potions. And please assist me in dungeon battles."

"Fine. The contract is complete. You are the Jester Knight Order captain, Taira Konoha."

"What about communication? How will we contact each other?"

"Well, there's a mirror over there. Write down the date and time you want to meet, and I'll come by shortly."

That seems quite analog, but it's probably to avoid leaving a trace. As I was about to respond,

"Gone?"

The girl who was right in front of me was gone. As if she was never there in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test