01 November 2023

Earth Dungeon 89.2

 Test

Chapter 89.2. Inner Town


[It's 50,000 yen for this? That's expensive.]

[The cost of living in the Inner City is high.]

[Yeah, it is. I wonder what the price of sweet potatoes is at the supermarket.]

I'm glad I brought a stack of bills with me. I wouldn't want to live in this city. I toss my business bag onto the bed. It contains my change of clothes and other items. Most of my money is stored in my item box.

"Now, let's find out if the security in the inner town is top-notch."

[Trap Detection]

I concentrate mana into my eyes and scan the surroundings.

Mana flows through the walls and furniture as if scanning for traps. There are no surveillance cameras or listening devices; nothing seems suspicious.

I also take a look outside from the window. It's starting to get cold, and people are bundled up, walking briskly. There are people in suits, others in casual clothing, and children wearing school uniforms.

[Even on a Sunday, students seem busy.]

[Probably because of club activities.]

Shizuku and I exchange banter while observing the streets, including the rooftops of buildings.

[Cameras seem to be placed at regular intervals, but the number is quite low.]

[They're probably for monitoring during Dungeon events rather than watching people.]

[Trap Detection is really handy, isn't it?]

Trap Detection is one of my skills, and it allows me to detect and analyze various traps. Up to level 4, I can easily see through ordinary traps that don't use mana or skills. Cameras, microphones, and similar devices are categorized as traps, as they can trigger alarms and such.

It's reassuring to know that there are no cameras for surveillance. That means my familiars can move more freely. However, I need to remain cautious.

"Now, shall we begin our covert activities?"

I tucked my hand into my pocket and headed out, humming to myself.

It seems the inner town only sells new clothing. Second-hand items probably end up in the outer town. It's like a noble district, a scene that used to be commonplace. Rows of shops, and boutique windows with mannequins showcasing this year's trendy clothes.

In one of these boutiques where even middle-class folks and the well-off come to shop, a female shop assistant stands in front of the dressing rooms with a bright smile.

Soon, the rustling of clothing stops, and the curtain is drawn aside.

"How about this?"

"Well, our customer, you look lovely in cute attire, but you also look great in a chic, sophisticated outfit."

In front of me stands a petite girl. She's wearing a new, mature, and chic outfit. She has a simple and plain face, with timid, downcast eyes, and she seems quite shy.

It might not suit her perfectly, but from a distance, she might not look entirely out of place in adult clothing. At this age, many yearn to appear grown-up. Even if it doesn't suit her, she probably wouldn't mind.

I have never seen her face before, but I am sure she is rich.

[I see. In that case, I'll take this.]

[Sure, thank you. What would you like to try on next?]

She makes her decision promptly, almost immediately. Despite her appearance, this girl is quick to make decisions.

"No, this is fine. I'd like to settle the bill, please."

"Thank you. Right away."

She bows her head and quickly walks to the cash register to calculate the total for three outfits. An active pants look, a cute young lady's style, and the mature outfit I'm currently wearing.

"The total is 297,000 yen. We'll round it down as a service."

"All right, I understand. You can keep the change as a service."

The girl smiles playfully and receives the money with a teasing look. 

She places three stacks of bills on the counter in a way that doesn't particularly indicate a large sum of money. Looking at her reaction, it's clear these aren't counterfeit bills. She's just the kind of customer I appreciate.

"May I have your delivery address?"

"No, I... I came to buy these without my mom's knowledge, so I'll take them with me."

Carrying a stack of bills, is she a sheltered girl? Well, there's no risk of theft or anything in this inner town. Still, I can't help but worry.

"I see. In that case, be careful. It's quite heavy, you know?"

"It's all right. I have strength."

With a flick of her wrist, she picks up the paper bag. She's from the Magic Academy. The Magic Academy, known by its alias, has a different official name. They possess something called "status", and her physical strength is clearly beyond what her appearance suggests.

In other words, she's definitely wealthy. Only the wealthy can attend that academy or those with rare skills. And the fact that she can casually hand over stacks of money confirms her wealth.

I'd like to know her name, but she doesn't seem willing to share it. She's at that age where she wants to look stylish, and I won't pry. I hope she comes again.

"Thank you very much." 

With a bow, the female shop assistant watches the girl, who has left through the automatic door.

Once outside the boutique, the girl smirks. Her face is slightly covered in mana. In other words, it's Shizuku in disguise. She's using a makeup ring.

[With this outfit, everything should be fine. Shall we go sightseeing?]

[Sure, Shizuku-san. I can't make a big move here, so I'm counting on you.]

Sakimori's astral body asks Shizuku, who is disguised with an ordinary face. He has entrusted Shizuku with sightseeing in the inner town and collecting market information. The old man's cover has already been blown, after all.

[Let's look for a grandpa riding a carriage. He's probably under attack by thieves or monsters.]

[Please don't pursue those kinds of connections.]

Dressed as a tourist, Shizuku takes a stroll through the town. She has been tasked with enjoying the sights in the inner town and collecting market information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test