01 November 2023

Earth Dungeon 89.1

 Test

Chapter 89.1. Inner Town


When I look up, I see towering walls that stretch into the sky. These walls are made of thick concrete and massive amounts of iron. The walls are said to be repaired and renovated year by year.

Those towering walls can give a sense of intimidation to those who look at them, a threat to the adversaries, and a sense of security to allies. As for me, I wonder which one I am as I look at the wall, and I smile faintly.

[I think they are being renovated. I can sense the flow of mana. They use magic alloys for the core.]

[Magical alloys? Sounds like it would cost a fortune just from the name. I've never seen them before.]

[Magic alloys are crafted using crafting skills only. It may be a crude method, but with that much quantity, they should have a decent strength.]

[How are they made then?]

[If it's on the level of Goblin King's Sword, it can be used as material.]

I can't help but be surprised by Shizuku's words. That sword weighs around 30 kilograms. How many tons do they need to use it in the wall? It's excessive to spend that much money to protect themselves.

[If you spend money for self-preservation elsewhere... Well, they've been saying that since before the collapse.]

I can't help but laugh bitterly at myself for saying that. It's not because I'm rich. No matter who you are, you would hesitate to use your own money for others, especially when the amount is huge.

[So, this is your first visit to the inner town, right?]

[I'm looking forward to it. I wonder what kind of world is waiting.]

I grip the steering wheel of the jeep and head towards the gate. Unlike the gate between the outer town and the abandoned town, this one is deserted. There probably isn't much traffic in and out.

The gate is made of thick metal, and two armored vehicles are parked beside it, with infantry soldiers holding rifles. Heavy weapons aren't visible, but they're certainly deployed.

The soldier signals us to stop, raising his hand. 

"Please show your identification."

The soldier reaches out his hand, so I take the card from my pocket. It's a fake identification card prepared by Serika.

It's not a photo, but a fingerprint authentication type. I passed my fingerprint on the machine he handed me through the card reader. There's a beep, and the soldier nods at the result.

"It's Kamishiro Sakimiori, right? It's been verified. Please proceed."

[You should learn electronic manipulation later. I'll create a new family register for us.]

Shizuku-san smiles sweetly. Yeah, but it's scary, that smile.

"[It won't work because they also have analog records. That Serika.]"

There should definitely be paper records. Serika must have taken care of the procedures for that as well. I need multiple contacts in the inner town.

I laugh wryly at the thought that Kamishiro are harassing me. I step on the accelerator and proceed through the gate. As I pass through the gate, I'm a little surprised. It's like a short tunnel, and the ceiling lights the corridor orange. Without the lights, it would be pitch dark. How thick are these walls

As I advance on the paved road and cross the gate, I see the lights. Today, I'm visiting the inner town. Finally, Serika has prepared an identification card for me.

I have mixed feelings of anticipation. What kind of world is the inner town? The store we set up was far from the residential area around the dungeon, and I only observed it from above with the crows so as not to be noticed.

I pass through the tunnel, and the scene enters my eyes. There..."[It's kind of ordinary, isn't it? There are many newly built houses, but those near the outer town's inner town are probably more beautiful. Surprisingly, there are no high-rise buildings.]

Most of the buildings are around 20 stories tall. They seem to be designed with the expectation of monster attacks in mind. The houses in the distance look ordinary, like how things used to be before the Dungeon appeared. Overall, it gives a clean impression. 

I'm a bit disappointed that I don't see any futuristic or advanced scientific technology. I was hoping to see something that would surprise me.

One thing that stands out is the absence of people in shabby attire. I'm glad I decided to wear the new suit.

Many cars are moving on the roads. A truck passes while regular cars wait at the traffic lights.

The traffic lights are red, and the vehicles have all stopped in an orderly manner. I rarely saw anything other than trucks in the outer town, so this is a fresh sight.

[I haven't seen traffic lights in a long time. They're actually working.]

We had them in the abandoned town, didn't we? They were all decrepit. This is what a cityscape from before the Dungeon appeared. It might be just like it used to be.

Just by looking around a bit, I can see shops. There's a convenience store with merchandise neatly arranged on the shelves, and banners advertising limited-time and new products. It's thriving, to say the least.

"I'd like to go sightseeing, but I need to gather information. Maybe I should stay at one of the hotels around here."

I checked the map that I received from Serika. There should be one nearby.

I can see business hotels. I wonder how much they cost; I hope they're not too expensive.

Everything here is clean and well-maintained. Even the business hotels have a neat appearance, and the reception lounge is sophisticated.

Or rather...

"Now, may I have your signature and identification, please? It's 50,000 yen per night for a single room, and it's a prepaid system. How would you like to pay?"

Do they accept cards? I'd probably get rejected if I tried to pay with a credit card.

"In cash. For 3 nights."

I take out cash from my wallet. Is it strange to carry so much cash with me? Don't rich people use cards or something?

However, it seems my concerns were unfounded. The hotel staff either doesn't show any emotion or has been trained not to, as they accept the cash with a polite smile and no sign of discomfort.

I receive the room key and take the elevator to my room. Inside the room, there's a clean single bed, a sofa with a table, a small fridge, and a TV. They have a TV, huh? There's also a bathroom with a bathtub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test